Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,818,349 times

Advertisements

Whew - daily rates can be pretty high, from what I've been able to tell.

Anyone familiar with monthly parking? Do lots generally provide assigned spots for monthly parkers? Is $200-$250 kinda typical? I will be working near Benaroya Hall - I'm guessing that rates are cheaper the farther you go from the downtown core?

We're going to drive into town and do some "recon" this afternoon, but any experience or information would be appreciated. I have been working in Bellevue and will now be near Benaroya Hall. Eventually I want to learn about and take the bus (from Renton), but I think I need to drive for a couple of months, as a transition. My employer offers flexible hours so that I can avoid some of the commute traffic, but that will keep me from taking advantage of some of the "early bird" daily parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,223,761 times
Don't know where in Renton you'll be coming from, but when you do decide to take the bus, the 101 is an express ( and there's a parking garage in downtown Renton that offers free parking for bus commuters), and the 143 has it's final stop across the street from the downtown Renton Fred Meyer, also fast...
Parking used to be cheaper at the parking garage next to the Waterfront Marriott between Alaskan Way and Elliott but that was a few years ago, and it would still be a few uphill blocks to Benaroya.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,866,597 times
Would heartily recommend rethinking the "need to drive for a couple of months." Just start the bus now. Coming up either I5 or I405 from Renton on any weekday morning (meaning 5am to 12 noon) is a nightmare, especially if a lone driver which I assume you are. And, another option ... catch the Sounder Train in Tukwila (near Boeing Longacres).

Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the input, folks. Ira, I would be coming from the East Highlands area, and my initial guess is that I would drive down to the Park and Ride on Grady Way. I'll definitely look into the express bus routes.

Tobester, my guess is that I'll probably reconsider after about a week. I just looked at the Sounder schedule (I've never ridden it) and it gets to Seattle amazingly fast from Longacres. My wife works near Ikea, and I could ride with her to that Tukwila stop. On the other end of the route, the hike from King Station looks to be about 1.1 miles, and so that will be a consideration, at least during inclement weather.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,287,907 times
commute in.

parking is around $12-15 a day (some $10 areas exist but I would carry gun if you park there)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,030,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Thanks for the input, folks. Ira, I would be coming from the East Highlands area, and my initial guess is that I would drive down to the Park and Ride on Grady Way. I'll definitely look into the express bus routes.

Tobester, my guess is that I'll probably reconsider after about a week. I just looked at the Sounder schedule (I've never ridden it) and it gets to Seattle amazingly fast from Longacres. My wife works near Ikea, and I could ride with her to that Tukwila stop. On the other end of the route, the hike from King Station looks to be about 1.1 miles, and so that will be a consideration, at least during inclement weather.
It's a very short walk from King St. Station to the bus tunnel, the closest stop to Benaroya Hall would be University Street.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,732,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Whew - daily rates can be pretty high, from what I've been able to tell.

Anyone familiar with monthly parking? Do lots generally provide assigned spots for monthly parkers? Is $200-$250 kinda typical? I will be working near Benaroya Hall - I'm guessing that rates are cheaper the farther you go from the downtown core?

We're going to drive into town and do some "recon" this afternoon, but any experience or information would be appreciated. I have been working in Bellevue and will now be near Benaroya Hall. Eventually I want to learn about and take the bus (from Renton), but I think I need to drive for a couple of months, as a transition. My employer offers flexible hours so that I can avoid some of the commute traffic, but that will keep me from taking advantage of some of the "early bird" daily parking.
I agree with the other posters to just take the bus from day #1 rather than trying to drive. It's a mess driving downtown (peds and bicyclists everywhere) and traffic is really jammed up.

I'm not sure where you're moving from, but our buses are different than other cities that I've lived in (Phoenix, AZ). Our buses are fast, energetic, and drivers are aggressive. Normal, regular people ride the buses (only the poor rode them in Phoenix) and they are pretty clean. My opinion is if there is a bus that takes you to your destination, take the bus rather than drive because it's a lot easier.

I think you're on the right track to look at park and rides. The other park and ride you can look at is the Tukwila Park and Ride, which is near the 405/5 interchange. There are a lot of handy buses from there into downtown.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,223,761 times
...My wife the retired Metro driver suggests the 111 or 114 express bus from the Renton Highlands.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks again for the input, folks. I start working downtown later this week.

Ira, the 111 express bus looks like a great possibility for me - I really appreciate the suggestion.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Default First day on the bus :)

I finally took the express bus yesterday (after driving for the first couple of days) and I give it a thumbs up. My stop is within walking distance of where we live, and the bus took me to 3rd and Union downtown, just a block from where I work.

My new employer provides a pass, and so it's definitely cost effective and convenient (you just swipe the card), and I was able to catch up on my reading on the way in. As another poster suggested above, the bus was clean and modern, and it was great not having to transfer.

On the two days that I did drive in, I paid $14 a day for parking. And then of course there was gas for the 30 mile round trip.

The inbound bus trip probably took just as long overall as driving, because of its route and subsequent stops, etc., but it was far less stressful than going solo by car. Once the bus left its final stop at the Newport Hills Park & Ride, it got downtown remarkably fast, thanks to the carpool lanes. The bus was pretty full but not standing room only.

I'll need to get a decent umbrella, though, when the weather gets rainy in the winter. My stop has no shelter.

PS: One of the downtown stops was the King station at 3rd and Jackson, which is where the Sounder stops. I can see now how easy it would be to get to the bus tunnel, as seattlerain pointed out. I'll probably try the train in the near future, just to to experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: