U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

43 posts, read 110,316 times

Advertisements

Ive written on the forum before and am getting closer to my move. I guess Im beyond the neighborhood preparation stuff and into some of the more obscure issues of moving. Im very interested in politics and political discussion. Ive lived in a bunch of places (Philly, San Antonio, Oklahoma, Chicago, Pinehurst NC, New York) and many of these are liberal. I always manage to engage myself in political discussion and am hoping to do the same without ridicule out in Seattle. Im a conservative but nothing of the George Bush sort. Im a Libertarian, Ron Paul type. I likely wont vote this election cycle as I dont have a horse in the race and feel like the country will be just the same with Barack or McCain at the helm. Maybe thats my form of protest. Only thing I might disagree with the seattle crowd on is that I think Barack is the furthest thing from a change agent, but that's a separate discussion.

On the issues, I believe in the use of a consumption tax--No IRS, Absolutely not using our military to police the world except in situations of dire threat, Death penalty for murder, mandatory minimum sentencing for child molestors and rapists, Increased access to healthcare and college for all (not a free ride however), and a significant amount of increased control on illegal immigration.

My question is, am I going to be an outsider in the Seattle area? I feel like Im headed towards a pretty homogenous group of people and hope that this isnt all true. If it is, I still think Seattle will be a good move for me and my wife due to all the other stuff it has to offer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:01 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,371,385 times
It is a somewhat lonely experience being a libertarian here. I am not a true libertarian but lean that way. If you question the liberal orthodoxy, expect to be called unenlightened and have people treat you in a condescending manner. Which is really funny, because when I was younger I used to be extremely liberal, then I worked for the government and realized that it could in no way solve all of life's ills.

And that's one of the things I have noticed here that is different than any other place I've lived. People have a terrible time separating people from their ideas. It's as if politics are religion here and your moral worth is tied directly to your political philosophy. But I am just one person. Maybe other fiscal conservatives can add their insights.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Default thanks

I appreciate your reply. I kind of expected that sort of answer to find its way into this thread. I hope to be called unenlightened by someone whose idea of a "good" country has been shaped by a few tidbits of information about the country (the typical person that is). Most people dont understand how a government works which is why they dont understand that less is sometimes more when it comes to the application of such. If Im frowned upon, then so be it. I hope that I get some sort of solice out there, however.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,568,651 times
Some of depends on where in the Seattle area you'll be. I've run into a lot of libertarians. I don't necessarily call myself one, but subscribe to the " there's no government like no government" line.
Sure, there are places where liberal Democrat holier than thou is the order of the day, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were as many libertarians in Seattle as there are Republicans.
The suburbs outside of Seattle are generally less liberal, and Maple Valley, Kent, Bellevue and other nearby places are not especially liberal or Democrat, and a lot of places around here have a long history of that " live and let live" attitude.
But within Seattle itself,the last few years have been a bit more of the "liberal morality police state".

Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,680,837 times
While not as bad as some areas of the country there are right wing conservatives, especially on the Eastside, who are intent on trying to impose their conservative ideology on the populace. Most of them are every bit as condescending as the most avid "liberal".

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,761,826 times
A Ron Paul conservative is unlikely to be comfortable living in Seattle.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 AM

4,246 posts, read 8,296,277 times
I personally know many libertarians living in Seattle. Where ever there's nerds, there's libertarians.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:08 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,290,597 times
Libertarianism seems to be the flavor of the day among the fickle antisocial tech nerd crowd (speaking as a tech worker myself), so there is actually a fairly large amount of them out here. Ron Paul fared well in the Republican primaries, I think Washington was one of his best states. I've seen the moron 4chan Anonymous kids with their stupid Guy Fawkes masks protesting all over downtown.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,853,529 times
Anarchy in the UK, baby.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
A Ron Paul conservative is unlikely to be comfortable living in Seattle.
Thats' assuming that I could be made to feel uncomfortable. In general, I am pretty tough to deal with in a debate. The two responses I get are a hissy fit against me (hilarious and a minority of the time) or a pretty neat dialogue. In the case that I get all hissy fits in Seattle, the more amusement that I reap. I wont be uncomfortable for sure, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area