Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering relocating from Florida to Seattle, rental budget between $900-$1000, enjoy city life, close to shopping, considering Lynwood, Mill Creek, Bothell, Bellevue

Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 18,689 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are seriously considering a move to Seattle area. I'm 32 and have lived most of my life in FL and my husand is from CA and has been in FL for 4 yrs. I'm apprensive of moving because I've never moved before but my husband has moved several times within CA and has also lived in NY, so he is ready to move in a heartbeat.

We are tired of the heat...and where we live...there isn't much to do as far as recreation and tired of the same crowd, and the job situation and housing problems are bad in our area. Seattle is appealing to us because of its diversity and the option to go out to a place to listen to music, go to a nice park, or just chill and explore new surroundings.

We have been talking about it off and on for several months and have been doing some research. I've read alot on these forums and they have been very helpful in the areas that we want and don't want to consider. I've noticed that North of Seattle is more appealing, but I'm trying to narrow the cities down to a few.

We are looking for a place that's NOT in the boonies! Would like a city that has plenty of shopping (malls, Target, Home Depot, Ross, etc)...close to grocery stores, banks....close to parks...plenty of restaurants to choose from...has good views of mountains and water. Also...we don't have any kids and we will be renting an apartment between $900 - $1000.

Basically...I've read that Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Bothell, Mountlake Terrace, Bellevue, Redmond, Woodinville are nice. But I've also read that Brier, Everett, Edmonds, Marysville, and Mukilteo are also nice, but no one has expressed real reasons why! So out of these cities, which of these would give us what we are looking for?

Also...this may be a goofy question...but does Edmonds, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, Everett, get more rain than other cities since it is closer to the water? Or is it about the same as Bothell, Redmond, Bellevue areas?

I know I've listed many cities that we are looking at, but just trying to narrow our list down and get a feel for which ones would be best before we make a trip out there.

Thank you in advance for your help. Look forward to hearing from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 03:23 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times
Smile This is a start--hope it helps. Their is enough to do here to keep you busy for the rest of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DER1976 View Post
Hi, my husband and I are seriously considering a move to Seattle area. I'm 32 and have lived most of my life in FL and my husand is from CA and has been in FL for 4 yrs. I'm apprensive of moving because I've never moved before but my husband has moved several times within CA and has also lived in NY, so he is ready to move in a heartbeat.

We are tired of the heat...and where we live...there isn't much to do as far as recreation and tired of the same crowd, and the job situation and housing problems are bad in our area. Seattle is appealing to us because of its diversity and the option to go out to a place to listen to music, go to a nice park, or just chill and explore new surroundings.

We have been talking about it off and on for several months and have been doing some research. I've read alot on these forums and they have been very helpful in the areas that we want and don't want to consider. I've noticed that North of Seattle is more appealing, but I'm trying to narrow the cities down to a few.

We are looking for a place that's NOT in the boonies! Would like a city that has plenty of shopping (malls, Target, Home Depot, Ross, etc)...close to grocery stores, banks....close to parks...plenty of restaurants to choose from...has good views of mountains and water. Also...we don't have any kids and we will be renting an apartment between $900 - $1000.

Basically...I've read that Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Bothell, Mountlake Terrace, Bellevue, Redmond, Woodinville are nice. But I've also read that Brier, Everett, Edmonds, Marysville, and Mukilteo are also nice, but no one has expressed real reasons why! So out of these cities, which of these would give us what we are looking for?

Also...this may be a goofy question...but does Edmonds, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood, Everett, get more rain than other cities since it is closer to the water? Or is it about the same as Bothell, Redmond, Bellevue areas?

I know I've listed many cities that we are looking at, but just trying to narrow our list down and get a feel for which ones would be best before we make a trip out there.

Thank you in advance for your help. Look forward to hearing from you.
WOW---bring sun and warmth please as we are lacking here.LOL Seriously you need to check out city data stats for these areas as they will tell you alot. The weather around here is strange. From Tacoma to Everett--Marysville--Arlington the weather is different due to different reasons. This is all the Seattle area and they all seem to run together as one large area. That is about the best way I can describe it. Their are some out lying towns too that are very close by and their weather is different as well. Why---ocean and mountains. Some of the areas you mention are spendy and in fact most of the areas in King county are spendy. I would not live in Everett or Marysville or Edmonds. I could not afford Redmond, Bellevue, or Woodenville or Kirkland for that matter-----having said that I mean if you were buying a house---same for finding a nice appartment for the price you have stated. I am not saying it is not possible, I am just saying it would be hard to find. I do not care for all the traffic in Lynwood and Mill Creek. Which Bothell---1/2 in King county and 1/2 in Snohomish county. I might add also that you pay for a view and I do not think what you want to pay for an appartment will get you a view of mountains or ocean. Surprisingly, most of the areas are all weaved together. What I mean by that is I live Between Monroe and Woodenville(10 minutes from each) but my address says Snohomish, Wa. I am about ---depending on traffic---30 minutes from Seattle, 20 minutes from Kirkland, 25 minutes from Redmon and Bellevue, 30 minutes from Everette, 40 minutes from Marysville, 20 minutes from Mill Creek and Lynwood, 20 minutes from either Bothell, 20 minutes from Snohomish. So my point is all of what you wanted---grocery stores, banks, malls, parks, etc. I can have access to in 10 to 20 minutes easily. My problem is I have too many choices. My advice to you is to get out a map and make sure you have not left out areas to look at as you did not mention Kirkland and it is nice too. Check out all the data on the area---check city data and write pros and cons on each. You need to be some what close to where you are going to work so figure that in also as the traffic here is terrrrrrrrible. Remember if you choose a spendy place then expect to spend more money for staples even tho it is a chain store----all Safeways do not have the same price for the same product. What kind of feel do you want as each area has their own so that is important. Do not forget the crime issue too. Some cheaper places may have higher crime so check that out. Run a thread like I am planning on moving to Redmond and what are the pros and cons for the area and what should I expect to pay for a decent two bedroom appartment, etc. Hope this helps you some and if I can answer some questions for you I will try to do my best with what I know.Do more research as you will be so glad in the end and I would like to see you be happy here. Best of Luck---oh, I have been here fours years and I did indeed do alot of research and would not change where I live.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi and welcome. Moving is an adventure, something to anticipate with happy excitement -- because it's a new chapter in your unfolding life journey, and therefore living in a different place is an experience that will enhance and expand who you are. I moved here over 20 years ago and I am thrilled to be here every day!

Any place here will be a huge difference from Florida in terms of heat, humidity and sunshine. So if you don't like Florida's climate, you could be much happier here. And people here go out and "do" recreation activities all year 'round with probably only a few days' exception in winter and summer.

All the cities you mentioned have the same amount of drizzle, and so they're all green. One or another might vary by just an inch or two per year.

None of any of the cities you mentioned is "in the boonies" so don't worry. However most of them are a whole lot smaller than Seattle, except Bellevue, Redmond, Everett and Edmonds which are just smaller.

Your question about Brier, Everett, Edmonds, Marysville and Mukilteo: They're all some distance from Seattle, "the big city", and thus appeal to some people as less crowded. Much of Brier, Marysville and Mukilteo, and parts of Everett and Edmonds have areas that look and feel like smaller towns, and thus appeal to some. Probably posters who said they liked a certain place were thinking of the lay of the land, the view, the way the houses look or the trees, how close or far they were from neighbors, stores, population density, etc. Everyone has unique preferences, eh?

Bellevue and Redmond are very expensive and for $900-$1000 you might find a small studio apartment or no place at all.

"Good views of mountains and water" will usually cost a great deal of money; a view of one or the other is much more likely, but in the price range you state a view of either is not a given but serendipitously possible.

"Plenty of shopping" in one city requires plenty of population; less density means fewer stores. However, if you have a car you can shop anywhere and most malls and big-box stores are usually no more than an hour away from anywhere, but not all "national brand" stores are everywhere here as there's a much smaller population so less profit for the stores (all of Florida = 18 million; all of WA, not just western WA = 6.5 million).

"Plenty of restaurants" in one city requires plenty of population. There are so many amazing restaurants up and down western Washington that it would take you years to hit them all, so having a car makes it fun. Seattle itself has numerous restaurants owned by world-famous chefs, and the whole area is a "foodie" area, a joy for the tongue and tummy. Bring your craving for fresh, fantastic seafood!

We usually advise that anyone interested in moving here spend some time here first, especially in Dec., Jan., Feb., or March, the cloudiest, coldest and most drizzly time of the year -- or, if you hate heat, the second half of July and all of August, the brightest, hottest, sunniest time of the year. It's a good idea to take at least one vacation here first, drive around, investigate the cities you're interested in, so that you can get a realistic feel for the area.

I wish you joy and happy planning!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM

46 posts, read 129,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DER1976 View Post

But I've also read that Brier, Everett, Edmonds, Marysville, and Mukilteo are also nice, but no one has expressed real reasons why!
All of those are north of Seattle. Brier and Edmonds are closest, followed by Everett and Mukilteo. Everett is becoming a major city unto itself, with its own downtown and convention center. A good number of people who live in Everett also work for Boeing or the Navy in Everett, so they don't actually commute for work to Seattle.

In my opinion, Marysville, which is north of Everett, is pushing it in terms of a reasonable workday commute to Seattle. Snohomish County is rapidly growing, thus increasing traffic to Seattle.

I'd recommend you check out the traffic cameras around 7 am Pacific Time on the Washington Department of Transportation website and see what the southbound patterns are like. Hope this helps!

Welcome to the Washington State Department of Transportation

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 29,166 times
The Lynnwood, Everett and Marysville areas are somewhat less expensive in terms of housing, etc. But I do agree that Bothell - Mill Creek area is very nice. And I also moved here (again) from South Florida (Fort Lauderdale) 7 years ago. I would agree that Marysville is pushing it as far as commuting to work in Seattle.

And yes, it depends on what types of things you are looking for.

I agree... Bellevue and Redmond are very expensive. AND Redmond is -- sorry to anyone from Redmond -- a very ugly and poorly designed city.

Another great option would be Kirkland. It is gorgeous and right on the Lake. Edmonds is neat too and would be my pick of anywhere to live around here except for my commute to work. A bit "quaint" looking but it isn't -- and right on the waterfront.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

All the cities you mentioned have the same amount of drizzle, and so they're all green. One or another might vary by just an inch or two per year.
Not to disagree with you allforcats, but I do want to point out that convergence zones often form from the King-Sno county line north and these bring wild weather, downpours, more snow and generally heavier rain/more wind.

It can be just drizzly in Seattle (or sun-breaky) and wild and rainy in the convergence zone. Maybe it doens't rain more oeverall, but the weather can be rougher.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Not to disagree with you allforcats, but I do want to point out that convergence zones often form from the King-Sno county line north and these bring wild weather, downpours, more snow and generally heavier rain/more wind.

It can be just drizzly in Seattle (or sun-breaky) and wild and rainy in the convergence zone. Maybe it doens't rain more oeverall, but the weather can be rougher.
Mayfair is absolutely right, of course.
I was working on Seattle Area 101 to start, and leaving Seattle Area 201 for later!
There are all kinds of weather variations around here, depending on where you go. But since our weather comes from so many directions -- southwest, west, northwest, north, and once in a great while south or east -- and the OP's question covered a large area of geography, I cheated and hoped to wait for them to narrow something down.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 29,166 times
That is true and a good point. I happened to LOVE living right there in the convergence zone and "wild weather" here usually means a couple of inches of snow at times that is gone in a few hours... NOT what people in other parts of the country call wild snowy weather. Most winters that may happen once or twice at most... last year it was a lot. "Rough weather" here is still pretty tame generally. But it is a consideration if people really hate snow and wind. Personally I am going to MISS it since I moved just a bit farther from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 10-02-2008 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area