Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:40 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I ran a few searches for anyone with a similar problem, and couldn't find anything that was all that helpful. I'd appreciate any advice, as I don't have a particular feel for the area yet, and I don't want to go in with no idea of what I'm doing.

Anyway, I graduated from the "real" UW (University of Wisconsin) with a 3.3 overall GPA, which probably doesn't matter. Unfortunately, I was having too much fun with a variety of things and decided to change my major from Business (Marketing) to History, a decision I now must obviously quite lamentably reflect upon. Luckily, I still have tons of those hard math, econ, and statistics courses left on my transcripts... that may help me in the future.

After spending a few years in Seattle, I eventually would like to get my MBA, preferably there at the "fake" UW, University of Washington. Of course, I can't be sure of this, as I haven't worked in a real job yet outside of a catalog ordering company and a company that specializes in ESL testing, but I hope to find out that this is indeed the case. Sooner or later, I need to make up my mind on what I want to do, because I am too talented an individual to only get a History degree. Anyway, are there any career-oriented type jobs you think I could begin applying for in the Seattle area? Something that could give me a better idea of my career goals, while at the same time giving me valuable experience in leadership, management, etc? Is my history degree worth anything at all?

I have very strong writing/researching skills, so much that professors even told me I was the better than most of the graduate students they had. Unfortunately, I am too social and imaginative to sit at a computer all day mindlessly hammering away reports while hoping I'll get that first $.10 raise at my biannual progress report.
One thing I have have gained from 20 years of job searching....

No one asks you what your GPA was. Either they already know it....or they don't care.

History is cool. Many people enjoy learning about it. Your other course credits will come into play. Good to mention those....i.e. (I'm a History major, but I excelled in "blah blah blah".

"After spending a few years in Seattle, I eventually would like to get my MBA, preferably there at the "fake" UW, University of Washington."

Nicel You just pissed off someone. Was that your goal? To p1ss off anyone who had attended UW? 'Cuz you just did, kid.

Great work. Just keep pissing off people and you're on your way to top management..(Ooooh...shouldn've have said that.)

"Sooner or later, I need to make up my mind on what I want to do, because I am too talented an individual to only get a History degree. Anyway, are there any career-oriented type jobs you think I could begin applying for in the Seattle area? Something that could give me a better idea of my career goals, while at the same time giving me valuable experience in leadership, management, etc? Is my history degree worth anything at all?"

When you said that... I stopped reading.

Good luck on your job search.

Last edited by 70Ford; 09-01-2008 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Now now. Let him enjoy his inflated ego now before The Real World crushes it to a bloody pulp.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM

300 posts, read 1,211,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
One thing I have have gained from 20 years of job searching....

[snip]

"After spending a few years in Seattle, I eventually would like to get my MBA, preferably there at the "fake" UW, University of Washington."

Nicel You just pissed off someone. Was that your goal? To p1ss off anyone who had attended UW? 'Cuz you just did, kid.

Great work. Just keep pissing off people and you're on your way to top management..(Ooooh...shouldn've have said that.)
You must be easy to upset. My advice: don't watch NCAA football this year.

... not to upset things, but if memory serves, you can't pick the park or location you serve in the NPS as a ranger. Otherwise they'd have 7 bazillion people in Yosemite and 0 in Guadalupe. I believe you apply for the position and then get assigned to a location. You can state a preference, but you go into a queue which can take quite awhile to clear for the more popular locations.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
I don't have an ego. All I said is that I am a talented and capable individual, and it would be a waste not to put these skills to good use. This is what many people have told me many times throughout my academic and professional career, and thus this is what I happen to believe. Is believing that really that arrogant or wrong? Should I rather think I'm inept and incapable of even caring for myself? You should really find better things to do than be pissed off about these things, kiddo.

And as for the "Fake UW" comment, I was completely kidding! I just find it funny how whenever I googled "UW _______" while looking for my school's sites or something, I also would get a ton of Washington links... Or ESPN would run a story "UW thrashed by Northeastern Idaho Tech," and I'd be like "what? We're always ranked in the Top 10... How could this happen?" I didn't mean to offend you at all, or imply that Washington was in some way inferior... I'm from Wisconsin, for crying out loud! All we are known for his cheese, alcoholism, and obesity.

However, I do understand how I could have possibly come off, and I didn't mean it that way.

Just lighten up, sport.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 09-01-2008 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Now now. Let him enjoy his inflated ego now before The Real World crushes it to a bloody pulp.
Close, except it is actually Season 3 of "I Love New York."

Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Business & Technology | New college grads face frustrating job market | Seattle Times Newspaper
It's a rough market for liberal arts grads here as everywhere so be prepared. You may even want to consider going to graduate school sooner than later but I doubt a 3.3 GPA will get you in to any of the graduate programs at the University of Washington. (I hold both a BA and JD from there and it doesn't matter how 'talented' you are, it's all about the numbers) You might want to consider Seattle University which isn't quite as competitive.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Business & Technology | New college grads face frustrating job market | Seattle Times Newspaper
It's a rough market for liberal arts grads here as everywhere so be prepared. You may even want to consider going to graduate school sooner than later but I doubt a 3.3 GPA will get you in to any of the graduate programs at the University of Washington. (I hold both a BA and JD from there and it doesn't matter how 'talented' you are, it's all about the numbers) You might want to consider Seattle University which isn't quite as competitive.
A less than stellar 3.3 from a state school might get him in, as long as he aces the GRE/LSAT/etc., gets outstanding letters of recommendation, and does a couple of years of internships. He definitely needs to prove himself first though, with good job experiences. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

Who posts their GPA to an internet forum? Are we all going to whip out our SAT scores next?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM

I posted my GPA so I could get advice like that in the two posts above.

Oh, and the average GPA of a person admitted to Washington's MBA program is just a tad higher than 3.3... Which of course highlights your other point: I need experience. That is what this entire topic is about.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I don't have an ego. All I said is that I am a talented and capable individual, and it would be a waste not to put these skills to good use. This is what many people have told me many times throughout my academic and professional career, and thus this is what I happen to believe. Is believing that really that arrogant or wrong? Should I rather think I'm inept and incapable of even caring for myself? You should really find better things to do than be pissed off about these things, kiddo.
Surely there is a nice, happy medium between thinking you are God's gift to Seattle and being so depressed that you can't get up in the morning. I don't think 70ford was pissed off. I think he was suffering from eye strain from such excessive eye rolling.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Surely there is a nice, happy medium between thinking you are God's gift to Seattle and being so depressed that you can't get up in the morning. I don't think 70ford was pissed off. I think he was suffering from eye strain from such excessive eye rolling.
Bwahaha, eye strain. Brilliant! And I wasn't even boasting. You guys need to learn what an ego really is. Being confident and expecting a lot of yourself surely isn't it. I can't believe most of this topic is a bunch of people on the internet getting uptight over a sentence! Ha ha.. ha...

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 09-02-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area