Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiek View Post
I figured the breeze would be humid since it's coming off water. I guess I was wrong. As far as humidity goes (when it's not raining, etc), does it stay high? There's nothing more annoying than sticky weather...all the time...
We usually don't have the combination of heat and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
Yeah A/C and Seattle are seldom spoken in the same paragraph - let alone the same SENTENCE.

Don't worry, you won't be missing your A/C.

Ken

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
People from Minnesota think summer is hot here ...
uh, you're not from Minnesota, obviously ... what you say about Seattle summers is correct, I'll agree ... but summer in the Twin Cities, Minn., for instance, is HOT compared to here ... used to live there ... not uncommon at all to have sweltering weeks in the 90's with HIGH humidity that'll make you gasp for breath ... then after a couple months of that, things quickly go down to winter again until the next May 21st or so Fall goes by in a couple days, winter lasts 9 months, spring winks at you, then swelter again.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
I'm also from Sacramento, which has weeks of over 110 degree weather often in the summer - so living here in Seattle is easy without AC. I've never ever needed it, actually I have our thermostat on 77, and it's on 10 months of the year.

I welcome the 90 degree days.

But I too, have been wearing sweaters and scarves for the last three days

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
You also work in an office during the day, right? So you have some cooler hours.

I like heat too - which is why I am loving our move to a place that has 100+ degree days... but when you are at home all day long, and being outside is cooler than being in your home and is the only relief ... it gets to be a bit much.

My husband would come home from work and I would have everybody packed up and ready to go out to eat, just to get some cooler air.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM

854 posts, read 4,139,869 times
Coming from Dallas, I have missed my AC. But not VERY much.

I was told there were only 2 weeks or so a year you'd need it. When we had a very hot few days back in May, I was very, very worried. It was 90 degrees in my house at one point. NO good.

Then it was nice a chilly through June. And here it is July and i'm wearing a sweatshirt next to an open window today. It is wonderful.

But when the temps outside do reach 80, it gets to the upper 80s in the house no matter how many (LOUD) fans we run.

Our furnace is old so we're replacing it anyway. We've gotten three quotes and everyone is recommending we add a heat pump. The furnace would distribute the air and would provide gas heat at low temperatures in the winter. The heat pump would provide heat until it's "too cold" (one guy said 30s -- I don't think it often gets below 30s here?), AND -- woohoo-- AC when we want it.

We're considering it. Maybe we'll replace the furnace this year and do the heat pump next year. But it's not the emergency I thought it was going to be when we had heat in may and june. I was afraid may and june were the beginning of summer and then it was just going to get hotter through august... but that has not happened at all! Yiiiippppeeeeeeeeee!!!

But if this post appeared during one of those hot days, I'd be saying "we're signing up the for the heat pump TODAY", believe me. Inside hot air is much different from outdoor hot air. ugh!

I'd advise not worrying about it. When looking at houses just keep in mind that you might need to add it in the future, so it's something to budget for. And if you find you don't need it, yay!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:26 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,241 times
You need a furnace more than A/C this summer. Brrr. My kids begged me to turn the heat on this morning. Summer in Minnesota is much hotter.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,892,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
... Our furnace is old so we're replacing it anyway.
Geez, glad my wife isn't replacing me because I'M old ... at least I don't THINK she's planning to You know the old saying: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ?

Boy I'm stunned to read some comments saying folks aren't willing to put up with the few days of hot weather we get in the NW annually. Blows my mind that anyone would spend good money on an A/C to use fewer than 10 days in a year ... and those 10 days are never in a row, either. 2x a summer, some years, we get 2 - 3 days in a row that hit near or just above 90* ... y'all are nuts if that's a problem ... 'scuse me for saying.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
I'm sorry but it's just not accurate that there are "never" several days in a row of hot weather. It may be "just above 90" outside... but what about in the house?? Like I said in my other post, outside it's cooler than inside...

I would never buy AC for the home, there - but those few weeks where it IS hot... if you are home all day, it's NOT fun. I had little babies and kids who needed naps during those hot days. Yes, sometimes we just filled up the baby pool and sat outside in our backyard & blew bubbles and such and it was wonderful... but that's not always a solution for everyday. To say that AC is not needed? Those people must not be at home during the afternoon. We got by, obviously... on cool morning air, fans and tanktops.... but it was uncomfortable. Yes, I know... we weren't being shot at in Iraq so we should be thankful...

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
I guess it depends on the house/condo/townhome.

Our house at 90 degrees outside might be 85 inside, which is my most preferred tempurature. We bought all new windows years ago so we get good ventilation, and we have nothing but wood or tile floors so the floor is always cool.

But if it is for just a few days a year, I wouldn't want to buy an AC - no need to hurt the environment anymore to just be comfy for a few weeks time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area