Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,611 times

Advertisements

Hi,
me and my DH are going to move to Seattle, and we would like to find a walking distance apartment near Amazon SLU. We are currently looking on Amli - [url=http://www.amli.com/]Luxury Apartments, Upscale Apartments, Furnished Corporate Housing - AMLI Residential[/url] , True North - [url=http://truenorthslu.com/]True North[/url] , and similar residential apartments. I would like to know how do you find the places. We have looked into yelp reviews, but some of them are quite diverse... Does anyone has a recent experience with these apartments?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,376,647 times
With any "online" review, you need to make your own judgments in separating the real from the phoney.

Why look at just apartments within walking distance? There is a wide variety of neighborhoods within a direct transit ride of 30 minutes or less of SLU.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,611 times
Right now we really need to be walking distance, next year we will probably move to one of those great neighbourhoods with direct transit ride, but right now, 30 minutes is too far away for us.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:14 PM

Pretty much all apartments in SLU are new-to-newer construction, with the area in the process of being redeveloped from what was originally a semi-industrial to a major employment/residential area. They're almost all "luxury" apartments renting for top-dollar.

Because the area is being redeveloped, just because you're within walking distance of work doesn't mean you won't have to hike or take a bus to get to a grocery store, pharmacy, department store, bookstore, dry cleaner, movie theater, library, etc. There is a good selection of restaurants. Coffee shops, of course, are everywhere...

Old 08-12-2015, 03:04 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,785,649 times
Quote:
Because the area is being redeveloped, just because you're within walking distance of work doesn't mean you won't have to hike or take a bus to get to a grocery store, pharmacy, department store, bookstore, dry cleaner, movie theater, library, etc. There is a good selection of restaurants. Coffee shops, of course, are everywhere...
I didn't live in any of the ones you listed, but I did live at a building located at Olive & 8th. Best area I've ever lived for not needing a car (I do have one, but it used to sit for weeks).

Food market in the bottom of the building
Dog sitter in the bottom of the building
Whole Foods - 5 blks
City Target - 6 blks
Pike Place Market - 8 blks
Bartell - 3 blks
2 large movie theatres - 2, 3 blocks
Barnes & Nobles - 2 blocks
cleaners - several, and many who picked up/delivered
library - 8 blocks
Paramount Theatre - 1 blk

More restaurants, delis and coffee shops than you can count, easy transit access, and 8 blocks to SLU (though Amazon has a shuttle that picks up at Convention Center Transit center). Plus right down the hill from Cap Hill and all the stuff there.

If you need to live in Seattle without a car, I'd recommend that area over SLU due to the easier access to transit and shopping. It's not that far away, but the stuff you want to access day-to-day is closer. SLU has a lot of restaurants, but things tend to shut down after the work day is over. I suspect that will change, but it's still a work in progress.

Lower Queen Anne would be good too. Belltown is also not bad, but further away from a transit hub, and fewer day-to-day amenities. The NW slope of Cap Hill would also be good for being carless. It's an easy walk to SLU, you have everything you need on Cap Hill, but it's a leg building walk back home.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,974,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
The NW slope of Cap Hill would also be good for being carless. It's an easy walk to SLU, you have everything you need on Cap Hill, but it's a leg building walk back home.
I live on the northwest corner of Capitol Hill and find it a very convenient walk to SLU. (Admittedly, my work is on the far eastern side of SLU) I'm a pretty avid walker, so it will vary depending on your personal preferences, but to me it's the perfect location. The Hill is a much more pleasant as a neighborhood in my opinion. It's one thing to work in SLU, but I don't find it a very appealing neighborhood to live.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I live on the northwest corner of Capitol Hill and find it a very convenient walk to SLU. (Admittedly, my work is on the far eastern side of SLU) I'm a pretty avid walker, so it will vary depending on your personal preferences, but to me it's the perfect location. The Hill is a much more pleasant as a neighborhood in my opinion. It's one thing to work in SLU, but I don't find it a very appealing neighborhood to live.
Many moons ago, I lived in the Ben Lomond (the brick apt. building overlooking I-5), which was a pretty easy walk from there (https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...ad1ec5b174fb47) to what is now SLU. The old Cascade/Fairview neighborhood just to the east of SLU might also have some older apt. buildings with some character. The south ends of Eastlake and Westlake are also within easy walking distance.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Pretty much all apartments in SLU are new-to-newer construction, with the area in the process of being redeveloped from what was originally a semi-industrial to a major employment/residential area. They're almost all "luxury" apartments renting for top-dollar.
aka "Ghetto Blasting", one wrecking-ball at a time...

Amazing what tremendous digital economy business investment does for an area, vs. looting and burning ala Baltimore. Not seeing a lot of prospect for billion$ in infrastructure investment @ the latter, currently...?

Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
aka "Ghetto Blasting", one wrecking-ball at a time...

Amazing what tremendous digital economy business investment does for an area, vs. looting and burning ala Baltimore. Not seeing a lot of prospect for billion$ in infrastructure investment @ the latter, currently...?
You obviously don't know much about Baltimore other than a riot that happened over 3 months ago the way you see it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area