Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 63,247 times

Advertisements

Ok i been on city-data for awhile now and have just been reading many threads and like the many opinions, but im going to post this question in few different cities im interested in. So heres my question i want to live in a city that has great night life (where clubs and bars don't shut down early)Nice scenery( mountains and Beaches close by)Great job market, and nice down to earth open-minded people. I have been to Seattle once on a greyhound did not see much of it and have heard about the cloudy weather and rain, but the temperatures seem great to me and want to know more about it tahn just pictures because I am considering moving there in a few months when I save up some money. This is my first post ever so hope this someone can give me feed back please. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 9,776 times
I wouldn't say the people are down-to-earth, but most tend to be open-minded in a politically liberal sense. The night life is great - plenty of clubs and especially bars. You can get to a Puget Sound beach quickly, but if you want to see the ocean then it will take you a couple hours and you probably won't want to swim in it. In fact, if you want to swim you either need a wet suit or you need to go to one of the lakes. Most people get used to the weather after the first year or so. If it's not turning you off now, then you'll probably be OK. Just make sure to get outside or get one of those lamps for people with Seasonal Affective Disorder. People in Seattle do seem to be a bit more depressed than in places where the sun breaks through the clouds on a regular basis.

I really miss living there. I'm a city person and it has everything I need. It's also nice to be able to see water and mountains past the concrete. There are so many young professionals around starting great businesses that the job market is exciting too.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM

11 posts, read 19,476 times
There's definitely a lot to do in Seattle, so you'll be okay in that respect. I'm not much into nightlife at this point, but I never have trouble finding something to do during the day. I have to agree with DNAgirl about people here being very liberal, but not always down to earth. You'll fit in better if you're also liberal, and somewhat non-traditional, than you will if you're more conservative in your beliefs. There's always jobs available, particularly if you're in the medical field, but it's MUCH easier to find a good job if you've got a college degree and some experience. If you're looking to continue your education at any point, there's plenty of schools to choose from!

It's definitely cloudy here...on City Data's "101 Cities With The Most Cludy Days" list, the top 15 towns were all in WA. If you don't mind that, it's really not bad. You can always escape to CA for a weekend if you want some warmer weather.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:22 PM

426 posts, read 1,733,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInTheGlen View Post
There's definitely a lot to do in Seattle, so you'll be okay in that respect. I'm not much into nightlife at this point, but I never have trouble finding something to do during the day. I have to agree with DNAgirl about people here being very liberal, but not always down to earth. You'll fit in better if you're also liberal, and somewhat non-traditional, than you will if you're more conservative in your beliefs. There's always jobs available, particularly if you're in the medical field, but it's MUCH easier to find a good job if you've got a college degree and some experience. If you're looking to continue your education at any point, there's plenty of schools to choose from!

It's definitely cloudy here...on City Data's "101 Cities With The Most Cludy Days" list, the top 15 towns were all in WA. If you don't mind that, it's really not bad. You can always escape to CA for a weekend if you want some warmer weather.
Side question: Do you think is possible for a history degree to get started in the medical field in Seattle? I would obviously need to begin in a non-technical position, but I'm just wondering what kind of jobs to apply for there.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 PM

11 posts, read 19,476 times
That's a really good question...I don't know. I don't work in the medical field! I see a lot of medical receptionist or file clerk positions advertised. It wouldn't hurt to apply for some and see what happens! You could also try working for one of the colleges in the area, if you decided NOT to go into medicine.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM

426 posts, read 1,733,269 times
What other cities were you thinking about?

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Thank you all for da messages and comfortably numb, i have also been thinking about Atlanta, Chicago maybe Florida and now been thinking of Dallas. Little about me I'm 24 years old im single do not have a degree and taking classes now working on a degree now. Honestly I'm not sure if I want to do accounting or pharmacy. I have lived traveled and lived in many cities and I just go there get a job out da newspaper and work and get a 1 bedroom and just try and make the best of it. I'm looking for a vibrant city and feel the cities im interested in could fit the bill. I do consider myself liberal and yes not having sun would be very different and not sure how I would adjust because Im from houston and have lived in Phoenix like 3 years as well as Las Vegas and Denver to name a few places. I want to be able to meet young singles finish school and just find a place to make me feel at home. Have not really hated any place I lived just get bored at times and feel not enough action for me. So really like Seattle just the lack of sun could be hard. Do anyone have any other places that they think would be good I should consider I really value city-data and everyones opinion whether good or bad. I dont mind going somewhere an working temp jobs or struggling and working my way up because I know that Seattle is a bit more expensive than used to, but the other places I really like as well so anything else I need to share I will for someone to give me there opinions in making a decision. One more thing I will have money saved up when I move not sure how much an pretty good at getting jobs quick so just want a city that has lots of action, great shopping doesn't have to be the greatest just good food and where it's easy to go out and meet new people and love the outdoors too. So thanks in advance agin.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 PM

300 posts, read 1,208,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiVinG Life To Da FuLLeSt View Post
Thank you all for da messages and comfortably numb, i have also been thinking about Atlanta, Chicago maybe Florida and now been thinking of Dallas.
Seattle and Dallas are basically polar opposites of one another. The only major aspects that I'd say that they share are: roughly the same amount of rain annually, and they're both populated by human beings.

That's about it.

If you're really liberal, you'll have a much harder time living in Dallas (it's doable, but trickier) than you will in Seattle by a long, long, long, shot.

Chicago gets it's share of the grey in the winter, but it gets really cold there with hot and humid summers. The people are probably 60% similar to Seattle versus Dallas.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 37,248 times
I'm interested in this topic. I'm looking to head out there soon and just dive in head first. I have my car packed and I'm ready to get out there. I'm just looking for the nightlife too without being too far away from my home. I'm also wondering if there are plenty of places to mountain bike if I do decide to live in Downtown Seattle... I'm 23 so I would like to live to people close to my age.

Oh, and how far are the ski resorts/hills?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 AM

I have heard that the city of Dallas itself is pretty liberal and the suburbs are quite conservative. I have lived in Irving before and found it very dull, but I know that when I would go to downtown Dallas it seemed like alot going on and beautiful skyline. I know Seattle has great scenery and the grey skies which i don't know if I can get used too, but Chicago is city I think would really just like to visit because seems too cold for me. Dallas is also close to Houston my hometown and they are the home of the Dallas Cowboys my favorite team, lol. Thank you all for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area