Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 PM

18 posts, read 86,250 times

Advertisements

I posted in April under "Moving from Atlanta to Seattle - need advice" and started with: " My partner and I (gay) are professionals in our late 40's/mid 50's and are considering new jobs in Seattle in the UW campus area. Here in Atlanta we have close friends that we do the restaurant/movie kind of social scene with on the weekends and are not into the bar/party lifestyle."

We have visited Seattle a couple of times since April and looked at homes/properties in the northern arch Shoreline-Edmonds-LakeForestPark-Kenmore-Kirkland-Bellvue, and as far out as Redmond and Woodinville. In-town properties in the Capital Hill area were too expensive and didn't have the 1/3 to 1/2 acre (or even off-road parking) that we want and need. We like the Juanita Drive area of Kenmore, which has newer neighborhoods and some homes with the 1/2 acre lot size. Is this a good area for an older, settled Gay couple and what is the drive like in traffic down 522 and I5 into the UW campus area (NE 45th St) during rush hour?

We also looked at properties out 520 just past Redmond (~20 miles east of downtown/UW campus). Is this area more conservative than the rest of the Seattle metro area and would it be okay for a Gay couple? We are hearing that rush hour traffice on the 520 bridge is crazy and that the commute could be an hour. Is this typical?

We are still hearing that the overcast grey winter skies and the short days/long nights in winter are the worst part about living in Seattle, but if anyone who moved to Seattle from New England or Chicago could comment on this and let us know if it really is that different and bad, it would be appreciated. From the stories we hear, we are beginning to think that Seattle must have one long pitch black night from December to April! It can't be as bad as people make it sound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM

123 posts, read 346,759 times
My son and wife have been out there 2 years now and suffered through 2 very hot summers ( 85 + w/no ac) Winter gets wet and cold but not huge amount to be reoved by snow ploughs as they do in Michigan and such.
The roads are extremely hilly and unless you have a four wheel drive forget it.
Living ig great and the mix of cultures good . UI love it and is a pleasant chnage to humid sticky Florida.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenAtlanta View Post
I posted in April under "Moving from Atlanta to Seattle - need advice" and started with: " My partner and I (gay) are professionals in our late 40's/mid 50's and are considering new jobs in Seattle in the UW campus area. Here in Atlanta we have close friends that we do the restaurant/movie kind of social scene with on the weekends and are not into the bar/party lifestyle."

We have visited Seattle a couple of times since April and looked at homes/properties in the northern arch Shoreline-Edmonds-LakeForestPark-Kenmore-Kirkland-Bellvue, and as far out as Redmond and Woodinville. In-town properties in the Capital Hill area were too expensive and didn't have the 1/3 to 1/2 acre (or even off-road parking) that we want and need. We like the Juanita Drive area of Kenmore, which has newer neighborhoods and some homes with the 1/2 acre lot size. Is this a good area for an older, settled Gay couple and what is the drive like in traffic down 522 and I5 into the UW campus area (NE 45th St) during rush hour?

We also looked at properties out 520 just past Redmond (~20 miles east of downtown/UW campus). Is this area more conservative than the rest of the Seattle metro area and would it be okay for a Gay couple? We are hearing that rush hour traffice on the 520 bridge is crazy and that the commute could be an hour. Is this typical?

We are still hearing that the overcast grey winter skies and the short days/long nights in winter are the worst part about living in Seattle, but if anyone who moved to Seattle from New England or Chicago could comment on this and let us know if it really is that different and bad, it would be appreciated. From the stories we hear, we are beginning to think that Seattle must have one long pitch black night from December to April! It can't be as bad as people make it sound.
When people use the word "conservative" out here in Seattle, I find that they more than often mean that they are fiscally conservative, as opposed to social conservatives. There are social conservatives in the area, but they don't make waves.

Either of those areas would be fine for an older gay couple. I don't think you would have a problem in either place.

The good news: no, there is not an endless night in the winter and spring here.

The bad news: there IS an endless grey ... and it is pervasive enough that oftentimes, people do not know that they are sensitive to the reduced sunlight until they move here. I have heard countless stories of people who moved here sight unseen and absolutely LOVE the weather (I'm one of them)! There are also many who moved here, hated the weather, and moved back to where they came from ASAP.

I would strongly, strongly suggest renting in the area for a while and getting to know the neighborhoods. This will give you a chance to get a feel for traffic in the area, as well as other details that would be of importance to you. It will also give you time to figure out if the weather will work for you. If you can make it through a winter, then you are good to go!

BTW, 520 traffic is every bit as bad as advertised ... if not WORSE. Imagine the worst of ATL traffic crammed onto a four lane highway over a waterway with very few exits to relieve the mess. Yes, it really is that bad.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
522( Bothell Way, Lake City Way) and I-5 from Kenmore into the U District can be bad at rush hour, but is almost always preferable than to being on 520. The Juanita Drive area is really nice...Out 520 past Redmond? Nice houses but it's pretty far out, and I don't mean far out groovy. Far out like living on Mars.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Middle age gay male here living in Duvall, which is, located about eight miles east of Woodinville, and about the same east of Redmond.

Your commute from the Juanita/Kenmore area will probably be about an hour during rush hour, and roughly the same, perhaps a little less from Redmond.

Years ago the Eastside was much more conservative than Seattle proper, however with the large influx of younger tech workers the area tends to be only slightly more conservative today. You should have no problems at all. I've lived here in Duvall for nearly twenty years now, and have had very few problems.

The weather here is an endless topic of discussion on this board, in short you will either love it, or hate it.

We have a marine west coast climate, characterized by frequent cloud cover, and what we call, "mizzle". In the winter average highs are around 40-45F, lows are around 35–40F on winter nights. Colder weather can occur, but seldom lasts more than a few days. Snow in the lowlands is not unheard of, however it usually doesn't last too long, rarely more than a few days. I believe our average annual snowfall is 8-9 inches.

Good luck on your possible move, and please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 86,250 times
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the comments and information on the two areas. Here in Atlanta we'll have a week of completely overcast skies and continuing "drizzle", which I like alot for winter weather. I am guessing it just lasts longer in Seattle, but to me that's what snuggling in front of a fireplace is for with the laptop or a good book.

Oh BTW, I've read some of the blogs on the "Seattle-freeze" and have to say that my partner and I have not experienced it on any of our trips out. Actually, quite the opposite. Everyone has been very nice and helpful. We went to the grocery stores near the two houses (Kenmore and Redmond) and as a test of the "Seattle-freeze", I started conversations with people in the check-out lines and with the store clerks and asked general questions about the area. No one was hard to talk to and everyone was friendly. I told a couple of them that I had heard about the Seattle-freeze, but really had not experienced it from anybody. One guy (suburbs-Redmond) said that many people out in the suburbs tend to stay in their houses and that to him it's the "drive into the garage and the door closes and you never see your neighbors" kind of thing. That's pretty much the way it is in the Atlanta suburbs, so that's really not different from here. I guess what I am trying to say is that I've travelled a lot around the country on business before and I'm finding people in Seattle to be pretty friendly or just as friendly as people everywhere else. Is Seattle just getting a bum rap in the blogs?

We're beginning to get excited about the city and living there.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenAtlanta View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments and information on the two areas. Here in Atlanta we'll have a week of completely overcast skies and continuing "drizzle", which I like alot for winter weather. I am guessing it just lasts longer in Seattle, but to me that's what snuggling in front of a fireplace is for with the laptop or a good book.

Oh BTW, I've read some of the blogs on the "Seattle-freeze" and have to say that my partner and I have not experienced it on any of our trips out. Actually, quite the opposite. Everyone has been very nice and helpful. We went to the grocery stores near the two houses (Kenmore and Redmond) and as a test of the "Seattle-freeze", I started conversations with people in the check-out lines and with the store clerks and asked general questions about the area. No one was hard to talk to and everyone was friendly. I told a couple of them that I had heard about the Seattle-freeze, but really had not experienced it from anybody. One guy (suburbs-Redmond) said that many people out in the suburbs tend to stay in their houses and that to him it's the "drive into the garage and the door closes and you never see your neighbors" kind of thing. That's pretty much the way it is in the Atlanta suburbs, so that's really not different from here. I guess what I am trying to say is that I've travelled a lot around the country on business before and I'm finding people in Seattle to be pretty friendly or just as friendly as people everywhere else. Is Seattle just getting a bum rap in the blogs?

We're beginning to get excited about the city and living there.
Take it from someone who used to live in the PNW(Everett,WA) and currently lives in one of Atlanta's suburbs(Dallas). I found metro Seattle to be friendly and laid back place. I didn't see any "Seattle Freeze" there. I think the "garage and house" culture might have something to do with it. I lived in an apartment complex in Everett and I knew my neighbors and so did my parents. I know my neighbors in my subdivision, but I don't talk to them much if any. The "Seattle Freeze" could be anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area