Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,664 times

Advertisements

I must have read every thread on this topic, but our situation is a bit different. We will be relocating to the Seattle-Tacoma area next spring, and I cannot wait. My husband will be working at the Seatac Int'l airport, and I am a litigation paralegal who will be looking for employment.

We are looking at a budget of hopefully less than $1100 per month for rent, preferably $800-900 for 1 bedroom. Early 30'a, no kids. The problem is that we have one car, and will need to be somewhere that my husband can take mass transit to work. Most of the outlying areas we are interested in seem to take 1.5-2 hrs by bus. We are tired of the dense urban areas, and want to live in a smaller community, with a lot of nature nearby.

We are willing to find somewhere convenient and rent for awhile and scout once we are settled. We hope to start a family in about 2 years.

Any suggestions? All comments appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Actually that's good news for you. Most of the transit here is focused on downtown Seattle and Seatac. Getting to either one of those from most of the Seattle area is pretty convenient. So you could live just about anywhere.

We're paying $1075 for a 2 bedroom townhouse in west Seattle in a really nice neighborhood. The 560 Express to Seatac goes right by here just about every half hour. Takes about 20 minutes for the trip.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:07 PM

123 posts, read 346,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinekitten View Post
I must have read every thread on this topic, but our situation is a bit different. We will be relocating to the Seattle-Tacoma area next spring, and I cannot wait. My husband will be working at the Seatac Int'l airport, and I am a litigation paralegal who will be looking for employment.

We are looking at a budget of hopefully less than $1100 per month for rent, preferably $800-900 for 1 bedroom. Early 30'a, no kids. The problem is that we have one car, and will need to be somewhere that my husband can take mass transit to work. Most of the outlying areas we are interested in seem to take 1.5-2 hrs by bus. We are tired of the dense urban areas, and want to live in a smaller community, with a lot of nature nearby.

We are willing to find somewhere convenient and rent for awhile and scout once we are settled. We hope to start a family in about 2 years.

The Kent/Seatac area is close to the airport and about a 20 minute drive from downtown. My son has a 3 bed twnhs in Seatac. 2 year old home ,garge and downstairs den. The train into the city does a few trips back and forth at rush hour but nothing in between. Either way prices are higher than what you may be used too.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
One small community with lots of nature nearby would be Steilacoom. I think it has about 6500 people, has a quick 10 minute bus to Lakewood, where there's an express bus to Sea Tac Airport. Oldest incorporated town in the state. On the water. Really pretty. Ferries to Ketron island and Anderson Island. Good school district. About 9 miles to downtown Tacoma and maybe 40 to downtown Seattle.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 AM

6 posts, read 9,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeinekitten View Post

R U aware of The Cascade fast train? I don't have a schedule w/me but we take it from Seattle Amway station and it runs 'round the Sound all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area