Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 01:31 AM

132 posts, read 340,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
He must be confusing UW with WSU. Common mistake.
No... I am not that stupid.

Sorry for anyone who graduated there... UW has a very good but not top-ranking medical school (after John Hopkins, Harvard, Washington at St. Louis, UPenn, Stanford), decent CS department, anything else that is not average joe?

Don't be surprised if internationally UBC is more well-regarded than UW. In fact I think UBC is ranked vastly higher than UW in the two exsiting global university rankings - of course a global ranking is completely subjective and almost based 100% on reputation.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Seattle and Vancouver both have aspirations to be world-class cities. And currently I don't think either city is totally there yet. However, in terms of total big city amenities, I'd say Seattle is in the lead.
You might not be here for long...

(1) We don't have aspirations to be world-class city. Most people are happy with whatever we have now - but we don't shy away from talking down other world-class cities to show our "superiority".

(2) Vancouver is already a world-class city.

(3) What kind of amenities does Seattle have, except the two stadia? I have to drive 40 mins to Tacoma to watch a concert, you have to drive 30 mins to Bellevue for decent shopping. And I don't see Seattle being prepared to host Olympics any time soon.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 AM

233 posts, read 752,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueGuy View Post

(1) We don't have aspirations to be world-class city. Most people are happy with whatever we have now - but we don't shy away from talking down other world-class cities to show our "superiority".

(3) What kind of amenities does Seattle have, except the two stadia? I have to drive 40 mins to Tacoma to watch a concert, you have to drive 30 mins to Bellevue for decent shopping. And I don't see Seattle being prepared to host Olympics any time soon.
So if we were trying to host the Olympics we would then be considered having aspirations to be a world class city? Salt Lake city and Atlanta are on the phone wondering when their world class city status kicks in. Give me a break, if you think Vancouver is a world class city you have never been to NYC or even SF. Where's the architecture, the museums, art etc..Vancouver is a nice city for sure, kind of a resort city (something like the Honolulu of the PNW) but that's all.
You must be going to see Hanna Montana or something driving to Tacoma because no one I'm into is playing at the dome and as far as shopping goes I can find anything I need downtown, Ballard, Fremont, Cap Hill.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:

What makes shopping in Bellevue so much better than Seattle?

Please don't say Bellevue Square or the Bravern...I avoid Bellevue Square at all costs and have no intention of ever shopping at the Bravern.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:52 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
Seattle's disdain for Californians and others who arent like the locals will always prevent Seattle from being world class. I sit between Boston and New York...one has incredible schools and the other has just about everything else... Seattle has absolutely no comparisions to those cities. Seattle is a white trust-funders paradise....with some nice views, seafood, and no subway. And housing prices designed to keep "Les Autres" out....
Being polite and PC is just another way of saying...we dont have any emotion or spine...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:25 AM

233 posts, read 752,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Seattle's disdain for Californians and others who arent like the locals will always prevent Seattle from being world class. I sit between Boston and New York...one has incredible schools and the other has just about everything else... Seattle has absolutely no comparisions to those cities. Seattle is a white trust-funders paradise....with some nice views, seafood, and no subway. And housing prices designed to keep "Les Autres" out....
Being polite and PC is just another way of saying...we dont have any emotion or spine...
Most of the locals are Californians. Your statements are completely ridiculous. A white trust funders paradise?--you are in CT are you not? I think you're looking out your own window. No one is saying Seattle is comparable to NYC - we are the 25th largest city in the U.S.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
And I don't see Seattle being prepared to host Olympics any time soon.
The Winter Olympics doesn't exactly make a place "world-class", except for maybe having "world-class" ski jumping and bobsled facilities..Unless you consider Sarajevo, Calgary, Salt Lake City and Lillehammer, Norway to be world-class destinations. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about going to a hockey match next February...

What is it that you find so world-class about Vancouver? Because on alot of levels it just seems like a shinier and better situated version of Seattle and Portland with a lot more Asian people.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,197 times
Quote:
No... I am not that stupid.

Sorry for anyone who graduated there... UW has a very good but not top-ranking medical school (after John Hopkins, Harvard, Washington at St. Louis, UPenn, Stanford), decent CS department, anything else that is not average joe?

Don't be surprised if internationally UBC is more well-regarded than UW. In fact I think UBC is ranked vastly higher than UW in the two exsiting global university rankings - of course a global ranking is completely subjective and almost based 100% on reputation.
Top 10 Medical Schools

wow. UW and UCSF are the only schools on both lists.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What makes shopping in Bellevue so much better than Seattle?

Please don't say Bellevue Square or the Bravern...I avoid Bellevue Square at all costs and have no intention of ever shopping at the Bravern.
Wow just because you don't intend / cannot afford to shop at Bravern, then it's no longer a decent shopping destination?

I mean.... really??

Old 10-17-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
So if we were trying to host the Olympics we would then be considered having aspirations to be a world class city? Salt Lake city and Atlanta are on the phone wondering when their world class city status kicks in. Give me a break, if you think Vancouver is a world class city you have never been to NYC or even SF.
Well... Winter Olympics shows that you at least have an infrastructure to host a global event (which Seattle doesn't yet), and some kind of ambitions, also it brings your name to the international stage.

The biggest thing that promoted Seattle is an average movie about someone who can't sleep. Also what's the last global event Seattle hosted? The only thing I can remember is the WTO conference in 1999, and that went really well didn't it?

On a side topic: anyone else thinks SF is overrated? Globally a lot more people have heard of Silicon Valley than SF.

Last edited by BellevueGuy; 10-17-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area