Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM

576 posts, read 1,818,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Tada is comparing our public transit to Toyoko, and Japan is generally better than here.
Toyoko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hm? Toyoko isn't even in the same continent as Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Some routes are consistently late, and if there's an accident, the buses are affected just as much as cars by delays.

If I want to go to, say, the Seattle Uwajimaya from Issaquah, that's $5.00. It's about the same (maybe even less) in gas. And as long as you buy at least $7.00 worth of stuff (I always do) the parking there is free. Plus they are going to jack up the prices soon due to gas prices.

goes to zillions of locations,

Idle hands are the devil's work. It would take me 1.5 hours to get to Seattle by bus. It takes me 30 minutes by car. Plus it's kind of hard to relax with people sharing their end of the cell phone conversation with the whole bus, listening to music on their iPods way too loudly, and other stuff.

That's when driving is the most fun. It's more enjoyable than fun when it's sunny out.

What's a "zillion"? I assume it's a pretty large number. If so, why aren't the route numbers like 3,002,195,730 1/2? Do you think that the average person would be able to remember route numbers that long, given that they can barely remember phone numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Look at the timetables for route 271. Except for the very early ones (I'd probably suicide if I had to wake up at 5:24am each day, much less be ready and catch the bus by then), it's about 65-80 minutes to get from Issaquah to Seattle. Not quite the 1.5 hours I said, but still close, and much longer than 30 minutes, that's for sure. Even from Eastgate it takes about 45-60 minutes, and that's already halfway to UW from my house. The "express" 272 to UW takes about 40 minutes, which is longer than the entire drive from my house, and it starts at Eastgate, which as mentioned before, is already halfway to UW from my house.

I'm not against transit, I'm against bad transit. We do need to invest in public transit, because as it stands now, I would not use it.

edit: Recalculated the times using the stop I usually get (got) off at.
You didn't use UW in your original example, you said Uwajimaya, which is just off I-90, and would take you 45 minutes to get there in heavy traffic.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,300 times
Well, at least now you have the South Lake Union Streetcar and the Downtown Trolley and then the new light rail system coming next year... The other train line is the Sounder from Tacoma and what is the one that comes from Everett? I hadn't heard of that one...

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Well, at least now you have the South Lake Union Trolley and the Downtown Trolley and then the new light rail system coming next year...
We have a downtown trolley? What is its route? Or do you mean the waterfront Trolley? That was closed down a few years ago and there is a question as to whether it will reopen.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
We have a downtown trolley? What is its route? Or do you mean the waterfront Trolley? That was closed down a few years ago and there is a question as to whether it will reopen.
Yeah, I'm referring to the waterfront trolly. Yeah, I know that it was closed but I liked it and hope it will reopen.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:12 PM

288 posts, read 1,328,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by computer chick View Post
Does Seattle or Tacoma have subways or commuter trains? I am considering

moving there and would like an alternative to driving sometimes.
The Seattle area has -

Light rail going from Sea-Tac airport to Downtown Seattle (This is near completion)

A beautiful street car from Downtown Seattle to South Lake Union that I love riding.

Sounder Comuter Rail - A double decker heavy rail regional system that goes from Everett, WA to Seattle on down to Tacoma and points in-between.

Seattle has one of the largest fleets of busses in the United states and considered one of the best in the nation (Settle Metro Bus). Seattle has a Downtown Metro Tunnel (http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/tunnel/tunnel-map.html - broken link) for the train and busses.

You could throw in the monorail if you like.

Tacoma has a link light rail and the Sounder.

Then there is the ST Express Busses.

Here is links to the major transit operators in the Seattle area

Sound Transit (http://www.soundtransit.org/x19.xml - broken link)
King County Metro (http://transit.metrokc.gov/ - broken link)
Seattle Street Car

Seattle Street Car - from Flickr

Light Rail

Heavy Rail

Metro Tunnel

Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 AM

576 posts, read 1,818,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
You didn't use UW in your original example, you said Uwajimaya, which is just off I-90, and would take you 45 minutes to get there in heavy traffic.
And about the same time as U-Dub in not-heavy traffic. And don't forget, heavy traffic makes the buses slower too, simply because they're buses.

UW also costs more money to get to and park by car, but I'll gladly pay it due to all the other problems of the buses. Also, the buses usually don't run past 11pm or so, and CS has you working long hours.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,535 times
Interesting----however, the transit system is Seattle oriented. I would love to take a bus but it would take me hours to get to work. I think it is great for those of you who have access but that is not the case for alot of us. As far as being reliable the trains are not and the buses are often late and if they are full, they pass you by and you have to wait for the next one. Look at Washington DC---they have an awsome transit system. It all depends on where you live and where you are going. Check the metro web site. If you live and work on the greater eastside or snohomish county, it is not the greatest.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 51,377 times
two srs will be visiting in may for a cruise so what is the most economical means of getting fm the airport to the cruiseport fm the airport to the center cityas we return would like to stay in the city for a few days the hotels are pretty stiff priced for srs on fixed income so where is a good location with transportation to the city to stay

Old 02-08-2010, 10:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I do call it great.
I'd have to say Seattle public transport is pretty good as well. I had no issue getting where I needed to up there and it was relatively fast and efficient (a bit less though than in the Bay Area but far far better than in San Diego). I didn't take any trains anywhere so I can't speak to that but of the three metro areas I've taken public transportation, I'd say that Seattle's is on the better side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area