Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNewt206 View Post
It only rains something like 150 days a year.

Only 150 days a year

Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 PM

402 posts, read 1,020,893 times
Not from Seattle, but lived in Eastern Washington for 9 years, and have been to Seattle many, many times. I've never experienced a downpour or anything remotely close in all of my visits. It's a pretty awsome city in terms of beauty and uniqueness, and there is plenty of culture, places to go, and things to explore.

I have lived in northern Cali 22 years now, and I can say that if you were comfortable in Minneapolis, you'll probably love Seattle.

I would say that anyone that didn't realize what the weather was like before moving to Seattle most likely a) didn't do their due dilligence and homework before moving, and b) had a chip on their shoulder to begin with.

For instance, I'd not move to Houston and then complain about the year round heat. I know that I can't stand the heat and that Houston would be a bad place for me because of that.

I'm not getting why so many people have moved to Seattle and then complained about the weather. It's mind blowing. Try doing some research about the basics before you pick up and move to a place. If you moved on a whim, you were most likely trying to escape SOMETHING, and when the thrill of moving wore off, you were left just as depressed as before.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Only 150 days a year
Only behind Olympia, WA for number of days with precipitation.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,933 times
Hello, I've lived in Mlps for 3 years, and sometimes wonder why I moved. My home town is San Francisco. I'm in Seattle right now, I don't feel that I am an authority on either location, but I will say that they are not similar. In size, shape, character...The winters in Mlps are ruff, but for the rest of the year it's a beautiful place. I find Mlps/St.P to be more socially and culturally progressive with a certain amount of diversity that is less obvious than in Seattle.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post

I would say that anyone that didn't realize what the weather was like before moving to Seattle most likely a) didn't do their due dilligence and homework before moving, and b) had a chip on their shoulder to begin with.

I'm not getting why so many people have moved to Seattle and then complained about the weather. It's mind blowing. Try doing some research about the basics before you pick up and move to a place. If you moved on a whim, you were most likely trying to escape SOMETHING, and when the thrill of moving wore off, you were left just as depressed as before.
Don't you think this is a bit extreme? Sometimes people relocate for job opportunities, to be near family, or a number of other reasons that have nothing to do with escaping something or falling in love with the Seattle area and moving on a whim.

Also, it may be challenging for some people to predict their reaction to the day-in-day-out gray until experiencing it (e.g., living somewhere else where it rains more frequently than 150 days/year but also clears more frequently probably doesn't translate into the Seattle mizzle experience). Weather "on paper" or even from a week-long visit during rainy season is a bit different than living the persistent overcast out here.

And honestly, people complain about the weather in every city (too sunny, too hot, too cold, too wet, too humid, too dry, whatever).

Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casportsfan View Post

For instance, I'd not move to Houston and then complain about the year round heat. I know that I can't stand the heat and that Houston would be a bad place for me because of that.

I didn't mind the Seattle weather so much until I became a parent. Then I wasn't happy. But I never complained about it...I just moved.

I do think, though, that there are a lot more possible reasons why people are surprised or disappointed by Seattle weather than the two options you outlined above. I think many people underestimate the biological and psychological effects that lack of consistent sun will have on their physical and emotional well-being. Just because it doesn't affect some people doesn't mean that it isn't extremely impactful on others.

The people that can reliably predict the effect of gray weather on them are people who have lived in it before for a few years, not just a few days or weeks.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

I do think, though, that there are a lot more possible reasons why people are surprised or disappointed by Seattle weather than the two options you outlined above. I think many people underestimate the biological and psychological effects that lack of consistent sun will have on their physical and emotional well-being. Just because it doesn't affect some people doesn't mean that it isn't extremely impactful on others.

The people that can reliably predict the effect of gray weather on them are people who have lived in it before for a few years, not just a few days or weeks.
I agree. Seattle definitely has a certain affect on some people. The people who I find are most affected by the weather are people who used to live in sunny climates. A friend of mine moved to Phoenix and it was moving from one extreme to another, but she is much happier there than here, it was a definite change in psychology based in biology.

She misses the people and the culture and the more laid back atmosphere but she wouldn't move back. She said if Seattle was less gloomy during the winter she'd never leave.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
escaping something or falling in love with the Seattle area and moving on a whim.
That's amusing, because that's exactly why we moved here. We fell in love with Seattle and moved here on a whim, plus we were trying to escape a little state called NY, which is going downhill fast. It helps that I love rain, because those annoying flying insects don't bother you in it.

Although sometimes I dream of having a goat ranch in Wyoming or something.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,440 times
I've lived in the Seattle area for almost 20 years. The only thing I DON'T like about it is the weather. The mountains...ahhhh...the water...ooooo...the farmers markets in the summer...eeeee. Food, culture, education, jobs, you name it.

Unfortunately, I have three small boys who are turning into house plants! Before I had them I didn't really notice the weather.

People say it rains a lot, and it does. But more than that, it's just gray most of the time. Long days on the boat in the summer make it almost worth it. That is, if we've had a good summer - which we don't always. I'm longing to be outdoors more than 3-4 months out of the year...

Old 04-14-2009, 03:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
That's amusing, because that's exactly why we moved here. We fell in love with Seattle and moved here on a whim, plus we were trying to escape a little state called NY, which is going downhill fast. It helps that I love rain, because those annoying flying insects don't bother you in it.

Although sometimes I dream of having a goat ranch in Wyoming or something.
If by "fast" you mean The last 30 years, you're right. Upstate used to have actual companies and businesses. More than just Eastman Kodak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area