Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Washington: Seattle, job market, great schools, buy a house, homeschool.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 AM

117 posts, read 434,750 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the general washington forum by accident...hoping to get more responses here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello everyone
I have been reading the boards for a while and my husband and I just spent a few days in Seattle...he has just accepted a job in Everett (near boeing) and we are trying to figure out where to live
We looked at Mulketeo and it just felt too isolated to us...then we looked at Bothell and Woodinville...Woodinville too isolated and I hated how you had to drive past so much depressed housing to get to the neighborhood you were looking at.
Bothell had some better housing but again there was a lot of depressed housing to drive through....but at that point I was pretty overwhelmed so I am not sure that my impressions of Bothell are entirely accurate....is there a south Bothell that is more built up...what about Kenmore?
I really loved Kirkland and Redmond but I am afraid that the commute will be just awful...even though it is a reverse commute, it is still 30-35 miles each way...we want to keep the commute to 35 minutes or less each way...is this realistic from Kirkland or redmond...which parts? Also some of the schools there seem a little dicey...any we should avoid? I really like being close to everything but not sure if it will be worth it in the end....perhaps I should give Bothell another look?
Anyone have any suggestions? We can afford up to about 900K so what do you suggest
Thanks
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 AM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post
Anyone have any suggestions? We can afford up to about 900K so what do you suggest
Thanks
Theresa
With that budget go to Edmonds! You will be able to get a great house and possibly even a view of the Puget Sound! It's well built up, often rated the most friendly neighborhood in the NW, offers an easy 20-25 minute commute or less and you can get to everything very easily. The Alderwood mall is close by and the ferry to Kingston is right there. We could never afford it so we got as close to it as we could living in Lynnwood. We moved to San Antonio last year and I am homesick!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Edmonds is a good choice- lots of nice housing in your price range. It's probably the nicest town with an easy commute to Everett.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
You are right on about Bothell. There are some "nice" areas - but not "nice" like you would see in Redmond & Kirkland - and the surrounding areas(shopping areas, business parks, neighborhoods) are generally older and in need of revitalization.

I wouldn't live in Edmunds if you have school aged children. We just moved from the Bothell/Mill Creek area (lived there 3 years), and our son was in the Edmunds school district - I cannot say we had a good experience on many levels. Very frustrating experience involving all aspects of "school life" - low quality of education, administration, teachers and classmates.

The ONLY school districts I would put my children into, if you can afford the area (sounds like you can) is Lake Washington & North Shore.

If school district IS an issue and with a budget of $900K, I would look into Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland - but yes, your commute will be longer and more stressful. The idea of a "reverse commute" is not true in the Seattle/Western WA area. However, many employers (knowing this) are able to work out flexible work schedules... and there are a lot of state/city/employer paid benefits if you look into ride sharing and public transportation. The bus system is well managed, and well used. Many people use it for work commutes.

Perhaps you should give Woodinville a second look... I personally like the "village in the forest" sort of feel to it. Lots of lush scenary, with a new-ish shopping area. Some very nice homes - however, they are lacking any master planned communities - so if you are looking for that specifically, you won't find it. Generally, it's custom homes built on property, with some older neighborhoods.

Keep in mind, within most of the eastside, Seattle and in surrounding suburbs - the "look" of most neighborhoods is generally older homes (from 60's-80's) that have been remodeled and redone, inside. So you have a nice home inside - but the neighborhood is still older. It's just kind of how that whole area is... other than Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue, Issaquah & Sammamish.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM

117 posts, read 434,750 times
thanks for all your replies...I would consider giving Woodinville another look but it seems as though the commute might be just as bad as kirkland?
We are excited about moving, it is just finding the right combo of house, commute and schools that seems daunting right now
Theresa
PS Jenbar...did I read somewhere else that you live in Austin now? That was one of our "stops"...we lived in Northwest Hills for a few years and really enjoyed it

Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 PM

797 posts, read 2,992,331 times
Jenbar is right Edmonds schools are not great but if you can afford $900k for house perhaps you could afford a private school. Edmonds has 2 great schools, one is Catholic the other is Christian, we opted to homeschool but we knew families that attended both of the schools and they seemed very pleased. Their kids were also very bright and outgoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area