Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times

Advertisements

...and to complicate matters even more, Sound Transit doesn't actually operate any bus service at all and doesn't employ any bus drivers or mechanics.
They subcontract to Metro, Community Transit, and Pierce Transit. The buses are painted with Sound Transit's colors and charge Sound Transit fares, but are driven by Metro ( or Community or Pierce) drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Lexistone, I thought you might be interested in my experience during 25+ years of busing between Seattle and Bellevue, first one direction, then when I moved and changed jobs, the other direction.

On the routes I traveled, I never experienced a bus that was standing room only -- except once when it had snowed and many more people were suddenly on buses that day. Nor have I ever experienced harrassment of any kind. Once in a great while someone pushy, or talking too loud on a cell phone. Not big deals, and hard to remember.

I also was often able to choose my first-choice or second-choice seat. I loved taking the bus, because it guaranteed me 30 minutes one way and 30 minutes returning, each day, to read, study, write letters, crochet, dream, and so forth. Imagine, 5 hours per week of comfortable, quiet reading time! Fabulous!!

I met many "bus" people over the years. We'd chat while waiting for the bus, and sometimes chat while riding on the bus, and exchange "Have a nice evening" sentiments when the first person got off the bus. With others, the faces remained the same for years, and we recognized each other. People were almost always friendly, and we exchanged at least smiles and "Hi". The people involved probably encompassed every color, size, sexual orientation, age, accent, and so forth. I didn't make any lasting friendships on the bus, but I did make many, many happy aquaintances, including with several bus drivers, over the years. Now and then someone would board a bus and not have exact change, and the driver would tell the person to ask the riders, and almost always three or five people would start fishing for change. I have always found western Washington a relaxed place to be

Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 AM

10 posts, read 47,126 times
i have taken the bus from lake city to bellevue a few times and it was great. not express though. but i went for less transfers over speed. they have an express i could also do. traffic is insane and i often want to pull out my hair during the commute. but i started working out right after work and now i cross the bridge at 7 rather than 5 and it's much happier.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 25,671 times
Thank you to all especialy allforcats. Would you guys give the same advice coming from Renton?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Renton's got great bus service to both Bellevue and Seattle, and is a diverse place with an ever increasing amount of things to do. Housing tends to be a little less expensive in Renton.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
I live in the Central District and catch the bus and drive sometimes to downtown Bellevue everyday. It really is not that difficult. I live on 24th and Spring. I simply walk a block to 23rd and catch the 48 which takes me to the 520. I get off the 48 and cross the street and catch the 271. From my house to dt Bellevue the commute is about 45 minutes. Catching the bus in the evening from dt Bellevue is even easier. It really is not bad at all. Sometimes when I drive to work I leave my house at 7:30 and I'm in dt Bellevue at about 7:55. The only real bottleneck is waiting in line to get onto the 520 from the Arboretum. And that really is not that bad at all. Now driving home in the evening crossing the 520 is a nightmare. I usually take I-90 if I'm traveling during rushhour.

Sometimes if I'm in downtown Seattle I catch the 550 to Bellevue. Its so easy.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
I've been taking the bus to downtown Seattle for a couple of months now from the Renton area, and I think the service is very good. I typically take the 111 express bus, because it takes me practically to and from my "east highlands" neighborhood. Sometimes, I hop a ride with my wife on her way to work in Renton and go to the Grady Way P&R, and then take the even more direct 101.

Thanks to Ira and others for earlier helping me make the transition to mass transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Renton's got great bus service to both Bellevue and Seattle, and is a diverse place with an ever increasing amount of things to do. Housing tends to be a little less expensive in Renton.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM

27 posts, read 80,536 times
Is there good bus service running in West Seattle? I will be near Alkai Beach/Lincoln Park.....Fonlaroy Ferry is not too far either. I am not sure where I will be working--I hope close! I could work in Redmond if I do a work transfer--but I am not sure of that just yet---plus not sure how i feel driving on a floating bridge--i guess if i will be living there I will have to suck that up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area