U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 8,011 times

Advertisements

Hi all, We are probably moving to the area this coming summer. We were just out that way looking at areas to live this weekend and really like woodinville for a variety of reasons (larger lots the top reason). I am wondering what a realistic commute time would be btwn. woodinville (nr. cottage lake area) and downtown Seattle (nr. library). My husband leaves for work around 6am and heads home around 5... Thanks for any help and advice...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,934,540 times
Although the distance from Woodinville-Duvall Rd and Avondale Rd (the Cottage Lake shopping center) to downtown is just a hair over 20 miles, the commute isn't a pretty one.

If he leaves before 6:00 AM, it might not be bad going in but coming home at 5:00 PM is usually a nightmare.

There are several alternative routes but all are congested. The shortest route would be to go right-down Avondale Rd to SR-520 but there will be several infamous choke-points. Avondale Rd is frequently backed up to Novelty Hill Rd in the morning commute and of course, SR-520 itself is stop and go for many miles.

In the evening, we've all seen it stop-and-go from I-5 & SR-520, all the way to Novelty Hill Rd with spots of free-flowing traffic for maybe 2 or 3 miles right after the bridge to 405 where it can frequently begin to be backed up again until deep into Avondale Rd.

I'll leave the exact commute times for a single-occupant vehicle to others who make the commute to comment. Good luck ...I'm glad I'm not in your husband's shoes.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,981,736 times
If your husband did the trip via Metro bus 311, it would take about 51 minutes to the downtown Seattle area near the library, and about an hour and ten minutes coming back, to the Cottage Lake Shopping Center...Taking the bus has an advantage because it uses the transit only lane for much of the trip.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 AM

857 posts, read 3,888,128 times
There's no way I'd plan this commute daily in a single-occupancy car. Heck, even HOV isn't going to do you much good for a good chunk of the way. Everything is stationary. You really can't believe it till you see it.

Also, be aware that they're planning a big toll on the 520 bridge. A very big toll. I'm not sure of the details, but I've heard $8 and $11. Not sure what the real number will be. But if you had to pay even $50/week, that's $200/month.... that's money that could have gone to a mortgage for a lot with a
shorter commute.

Perhaps you might look in some areas closer to I-90? Ira would know more, but you might find a nice community outside issaquah with some land and a more reasonable commute?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,159 times
OMG We're visiting Seattle and surrounding area October 22-27 of 2014. However, we are staying in Woodinville, does this mean that we are going to get stuck every morning and evening unless we go early in and come back late? There are so many things that we want to do besides get hog tied in traffic, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eileen

Last edited by emg253; 07-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM

291 posts, read 339,760 times
I would start another thread on your vacation plan, Eileen, just because that's a different logistical question. You might have different things planned, you don't have to drive at 5-6 p.m., etc.

To the OP, we do a split commute: one of us does the early shift, 6:30 - 3, and the other one does the late shift, 9:30 - 7:30. This is to the Eastside.

That way we save on gas and someone's always here for the kids, though it makes for late dinners.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:53 AM

2,064 posts, read 3,992,067 times
i made a similar commute (woodinville hollywood hill) to denny every day for 6 months.

in the morning it's about an hour door to door if you drive in the hov lane. by bus, it's about 50 minutes once you're on the bus (so door to door is longer since you have to go to the park & ride, park, wait for the bus, etc.). i left my house at 8am and usually got in the office slightly before 9am. if you were in a single occupancy car, i would add 20 minutes since there's a lot of traffic on 405.

in the evening it would take about an hour as well but there were days when it took 1.5 hours if there was a lot of traffic downtown getting out to the 5 freeway and/or traffic on the 520/405 junction. 5pm is pretty much the worst time to leave so he should leave at 4pm or 6pm.

as for other times (non commuting hours), it's about 30 minutes starting at around 10am-4pm and 7pm-5am.

if it's any consolation, the reverse traffic (seattle->woodinville) is much worse. my only guess is that it's because of microsoft.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,335,057 times
If anyone still has this question, we live in Cottage Lake and my wife commutes to the U-district. It rarely takes more than half hour for her, but she commutes early in the morning (6ish) and late in the evening (730ish).

Commuting during peak hours takes quite a bit longer. Morning isn't as bad. About 45 minutes if she left at 8:30. Afternoon is awful because of Microsoft and Redmond Ridge traffic. Close to an hour on a good day if she left Seattle at 5.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 AM

20,889 posts, read 12,987,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
If anyone still has this question, we live in Cottage Lake and my wife commutes to the U-district. It rarely takes more than half hour for her, but she commutes early in the morning (6ish) and late in the evening (730ish).

Commuting during peak hours takes quite a bit longer. Morning isn't as bad. About 45 minutes if she left at 8:30. Afternoon is awful because of Microsoft and Redmond Ridge traffic. Close to an hour on a good day if she left Seattle at 5.
Are you north or south of Woodinville Duvall Rd? Does she take Woodinville Duvall Rd? Right now that road is getting an added lane and sidewalks through almost the entire length of it and the project goes from April to November 2014. For the OP, if you are staying in that area, there are alternate routes such as going south on Avondale and then west to 405.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,335,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Are you north or south of Woodinville Duvall Rd? Does she take Woodinville Duvall Rd?
We're about a quarter mile south of the Woodinville-Duvall Road. She takes Avondale to 520. She'd be taking that route even when the project is done. It's a straight shot and traffic isn't bad at the time she commutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area