Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
i am black and i have to ask why would you want to stay contained in a "black community" or in the southern parts? if it is due to money reasons i could understand but only hanging around people that are the same skin tone as you are does not seem like an educated idea to me. you'd want to be mixed with the white and the asians, if you could. it sounds like a lot of posters just want to move in "black communities" i just never understood the logic in that but anyways i hope to see seattle for the location and sights, meeting people and sharing interest will come from that.
My sentiments. I just want to be in a place where I can be welcome there.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My sentiments. I just want to be in a place where I can be welcome there.
Don't knock it off-hand. Even white groups (read: people of Russian and Scandinavian descent) and Asian groups (Chinatown, anyone?) like to congregate with people who share the same cultural heritage. This is a concept that bridges culture and class, and is not specific to people of African heritage.

The other issue with this is that, particularly for middle- and upper-class black folks, is the reinforcement of success as being a concept that is available to black people as well as others. Whether others want to admit this or not, black people have had a very different path in this country -- I dare not bring it up. But I'm sure you all know. Many of the families that I know of, families headed by doctors and lawyers and other folks of status, are very sensitive about the reinforcement of success to the next generation. As such, black neighborhoods serve to perpetuate that success in a very visual and palpable sense.

And make no mistake, there are many families (particularly on the East Coast) that are very successful and perpetuate this success through networking in the black community.

I don't live in one anymore, but it is not a "stupid" decision. Not in the least ...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 105,563 times
Question To pwright1

Great pics....what area of Seattle are you shooting from that seems to be on a park facing Seattle with joggers and couple down by the beach as well as the street that shows the townhome for sale?We are thinking of moving to Seattle and never noticed that being that we always go to just downtown and Renton...thx LeeH

Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
Great pics....what area of Seattle are you shooting from that seems to be on a park facing Seattle with joggers and couple down by the beach as well as the street that shows the townhome for sale?We are thinking of moving to Seattle and never noticed that being that we always go to just downtown and Renton...thx LeeH
That's Alki Beach in West Seattle with the joggers and the area with the townhome for sale is the 'Central District'. The pic with the house for sale is a couple of blocks from my place.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 AM

26 posts, read 105,563 times
Question response to pwright1....

Thx...we are looking for a townhome,if allowed on this website can you give me just the street then i can check it out.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,362 times
Default Shipping to the Caribbean

Is there anyone from the Caribbean who can tell me how I can ship "barrels" to the Caribbean from Seattle?
Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,362 times
Default Shipping to the Caribbean

Is there anyone from the Caribbean who can tell me how I can ship "barrels" to the Caribbean from Seattle?
Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 PM

As for the getting clowned, I would expect it. Mention Seattle to alot of people in Atlanta and the first thing that pops into their head is rain.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM

51 posts, read 261,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I agree. I live nearby in the suburbs unfortunately(because of school and cost of living). I don't want to live in the metro Atlanta area anymore. There isn't much to do in Atlanta. It's growing and the economy is good here, but I don't see it as a good place to live. I have surely been dissapointed by it. I moved to Atlanta(Marietta, actually), and after the Olympics, the place didn't look so nice anymore. ...
I grew up in Marietta from age 2 to 11, just off of Johnson Ferry Road - I'm surprised at how many people up here I've met from the Atlanta metro area. I met a surprising amount at UW that spent time in and around Atlanta considering the distance, and found one that actually went to Elementary school with me in Marietta. I remember liking the area a lot as a kid, but it's hard to trust your own memory at such a young age, and my parents still let me know how much they hated it.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfseattle View Post
I grew up in Marietta from age 2 to 11, just off of Johnson Ferry Road - I'm surprised at how many people up here I've met from the Atlanta metro area. I met a surprising amount at UW that spent time in and around Atlanta considering the distance, and found one that actually went to Elementary school with me in Marietta. I remember liking the area a lot as a kid, but it's hard to trust your own memory at such a young age, and my parents still let me know how much they hated it.
I lived on Delk Road. Now that area is just dead.

I liked the Pacific Northwest for its laid back nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area