Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 02:24 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I am a white male and was dating a black girl some years back (she was actually half black/half white but with fairly dark skin), and we would hear comments from random black men while walking through the central district such as "you are a traitor to your race", and "that boy's skin is the wrong color". Just goes to show that ignorance doesn't care about the color of your skin.
Yeah, you do get that sometimes...I remember being in the store with my parents as a kid on a few occasions and black women giving them dirty looks because my mom is white. Oh well.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:22 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlosingit all View Post
Regarding your post about living in Everett and that's where you lived all your life and do not feel that people treat you like aliens. Well you are not going to see it because you have been adapted to it. Anyone coming from the south would definitely go to Everett and see would understand exactly what I am saying. I have found that blacks who have been born and raised here are in serious denial and just want to believe they are accepted equally but they are not. The kind of behavior that happens here is very very subtle. You would never know it if you have not been exposed to it someone where else. But it's plain as day to those who are aware of it.
Nah I never thought Everett was THAT bad. I lived and worked there for three years. I never felt like an alien because I was black. But it certainly never felt like home, even after I moved to the city, which is why I left. In my 3 years in the Seattle area I never felt any real racial tension. But I did think it lacked a sense of community, particular among black folks.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlosingit all View Post
Regarding your post about living in Everett and that's where you lived all your life and do not feel that people treat you like aliens. Well you are not going to see it because you have been adapted to it. Anyone coming from the south would definitely go to Everett and see would understand exactly what I am saying. I have found that blacks who have been born and raised here are in serious denial and just want to believe they are accepted equally but they are not. The kind of behavior that happens here is very very subtle. You would never know it if you have not been exposed to it someone where else. But it's plain as day to those who are aware of it.
I never said I lived in Everett my whole life. I said I did live in Everett, but not my whole life. When I moved there in 1990 my family was welcomed with open arms.
I have been exposed to behaviour in other places. The one place where I was treated like an alien was in the rural exurban areas outside Atlanta(keyword: outside Atlanta).

Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,333 times
Default Humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFrontStories View Post
If A person is comfortable with who they are,they can live anywhere in the world regardless of if people of their own race exist in the local or not,There is no place in this world where I would not consider living because of my race...I have always felt comfortable anywhere from Beverly Hills to Manhattan to Frankfurt to Taipai to Seattle etc and certain parts of Germany I can assure you you will never see another black person..I don't use the term african american as it can mean a Black or White person..As I friend from Cape Town South Africa that is white but became a Naturalized citizen in 1999 he is truly an AFrican American,while someone black born and raised in Seattle has no clue about Africa and will never go there in this life
We agree...In this life you have to be comfortable in your own skin, some have been given brown, some black, white, yellow etc. Life is not easy for anyone...Most will categorize you. What I have learned is everyone responds the same way to truth and how you treat them regardless of color, status, etc. People never forget how they are treated. We are all trying to figure it out as we go along...helping one another along the way.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 20,729 times
Wink Moving to Seattle

Well at least I see that I am not being paranoid. We all want to live in peace and harmony with each other. Believe me if you knew me you would know I don't live with a chip on my shoulder. I have 6 grown children and all of them have either had husband, wives, girlfriends, etc that were white and we love them dearly. But the truth be known it is very racist in the Seattle area and unless you have rose colored classes on you are going to deny it and cast if off like it's not happening. Like I said, Kent, Federal Way, Renton, Tukwila are very racially diverse cities and we feel at home when we visit those places.

When I say "at home" I am meaning that everyone seems comfortable, living amongst each other, they embrace each others differences and appreciate the quality we all bring to each other. So I am not some southern race monger looking for racism everywhere I go. If you are honest with yourself, you will definitely see it. But I live very happily here in Kent and I don't feel wierded out when I go out into the city because of looks and stares and people dropping money on the counter instead of putting it into your hand.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Strikes me that Seattle has a different kind of racism. People who are politically liberal and preach tolerance and understanding but won't travel south of downtown Seattle and will make comments on here about how places like Kent, Renton, etc are very dangerous and full of gangs. They'll never come out and say Kent or Renton is a bad place because there are black folk or hispanics around, but rather because of the lower test scores on the WASL test.
It's easy for them to talk about how great diversity is when they're surrounded by people who look just like themselves and think they're celebrating diversity by eating Tony Roma's BBQ....Go to Home of Good BBQ on Yesler? Noooo! They'd be risking life and limb!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Strikes me that Seattle has a different kind of racism. People who are politically liberal and preach tolerance and understanding but won't travel south of downtown Seattle and will make comments on here about how places like Kent, Renton, etc are very dangerous and full of gangs. They'll never come out and say Kent or Renton is a bad place because there are black folk or hispanics around, but rather because of the lower test scores on the WASL test.
It's easy for them to talk about how great diversity is when they're surrounded by people who look just like themselves and think they're celebrating diversity by eating Tony Roma's BBQ....Go to Home of Good BBQ on Yesler? Noooo! They'd be risking life and limb!
I've often thought the same thing...

Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I've often thought the same thing...
Sounds like most big cities in the USA.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 24,005 times
Default Seattle...Im sorry I came!!

OK, I hope people actually realize that the "black" neighborhood the Central District is actually a white neighborhood now?! All the black people have been bought out and moved to south king county (Renton, Fed Way, Kent), but out there is still predomantly white.

Yea overall, theres pretty much no black people in seattle. But maybe its just me. Im from Oakland, CA, (40% black), and grew up in Gary, IN (85% black) so the 8 or so percent in Seattle does not seem like much to me (and you can see it to).

And can someone please tell me where the actual "ghetto", or bad neighborhoods are, cuz I have yet to see them? I see a lot of guys hangin out trying to make trouble, but to me it just seems like their just trying to prove themselves, and dont really appreciate how good they have it up here. They give you dirty looks, and when you do it back and show them your not scared, they tend to back away like scalded dogs.

And to me, a lot of black people here are stuck up as hell! They act like their so much better than you, and treat you like you dont belong. Or if your walking down the street minding your own business, they drive by and stare at you and laugh like your nothing, and drive by in their new car their parents bought for them but yet try to be "hood" with their lattes! LMAO!!

And the women (especially black)...all you have to do is say your from somewhere else out of state, and theyll be all on you like flies on s--t! Im serious, they tend to have a groupie mentality, like your a famous rapper or something!

Bottom line is Im leaving in September back to Cali and I couldnt be happier! Everybody else can have this place. Seattle, the fake gangster capital of the world!!

And is everyone posting on here from Atlanta? It seems like it?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMan2008 View Post
OK, I hope people actually realize that the "black" neighborhood the Central District is actually a white neighborhood now?! All the black people have been bought out and moved to south king county (Renton, Fed Way, Kent), but out there is still predomantly white.

Yea overall, theres pretty much no black people in seattle. But maybe its just me. Im from Oakland, CA, (40% black), and grew up in Gary, IN (85% black) so the 8 or so percent in Seattle does not seem like much to me (and you can see it to).

And can someone please tell me where the actual "ghetto", or bad neighborhoods are, cuz I have yet to see them? I see a lot of guys hangin out trying to make trouble, but to me it just seems like their just trying to prove themselves, and dont really appreciate how good they have it up here. They give you dirty looks, and when you do it back and show them your not scared, they tend to back away like scalded dogs.

And to me, a lot of black people here are stuck up as hell! They act like their so much better than you, and treat you like you dont belong. Or if your walking down the street minding your own business, they drive by and stare at you and laugh like your nothing, and drive by in their new car their parents bought for them but yet try to be "hood" with their lattes! LMAO!!

And the women (especially black)...all you have to do is say your from somewhere else out of state, and theyll be all on you like flies on s--t! Im serious, they tend to have a groupie mentality, like your a famous rapper or something!

Bottom line is Im leaving in September back to Cali and I couldnt be happier! Everybody else can have this place. Seattle, the fake gangster capital of the world!!

And is everyone posting on here from Atlanta? It seems like it?
I live in metro Atlanta and I find alot of "fake gangsters" there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area