Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 PM

177 posts, read 456,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy92 View Post
I am thinking about moving to the Seattle area this year. I currently live in Maryland, I have always lived on the east coast and feel it's time for a change. I have 2 13 years old kids, so I am looking for somewhere with a good school district. Can anyone tell me where would be the best place in Seattle and its suburbs to move to?
I used to live in Bellevue which is a fantastic area. Also you might want to look into the Issaquah/Sammamish area.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This thread is pretty cool. Alot of threads regarding race have required a shutdown because the discussions turned rabid and crazy. This thread is serving its purpose in being a productive forum for conversation. May this thread continue

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM

64 posts, read 249,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy92 View Post
I am thinking about moving to the Seattle area this year. I currently live in Maryland, I have always lived on the east coast and feel it's time for a change. I have 2 13 years old kids, so I am looking for somewhere with a good school district. Can anyone tell me where would be the best place in Seattle and its suburbs to move to?
I grew up in PG county, and sadly I can't see ever going back. I'm also a survivor of the PG county school system.

IMHO, it's hard to go wrong randomly picking a school district up here. That said, it does make a lot of sense to do research and make a good choice.

Are you looking for a more downtown city setting? Like Baltimore, only without the crime? Then go with the city of Seattle. Schools there do vary so you'll wanna research it. Others here could offer up great suggestions on where to look.

Are you looking for something more suburban? The Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah) has some great school districts.

Also, did you have a target in mind for the price of a house? My wife and I had an apartment in Bellevue in the Lake Washington School District. School was great for our son, but we couldn't afford any of the houses there. My wife kept talking about finding something there, so I set about searching for something just to shut her up. Found a 1,200 sf 3 bdrm/2 bath condo for about $425K. After that, she gave in and consented to buying a house and moving to Puyallup.

Makes a lot of sense to rent before buying when you move into an area, and if you can minimize the distruption in your kids lives by renting very close to where you plan to buy, then they won't have to switch schools. So much the better I think.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,713 times
Many thanks Kengrubb,

I currently live in PG county and I refuse to send my sons to the high school that they are zoned for in September. I am currently planning on renting for a while. I just want my kids in a nice school district that offers all the academic stuff that I want them to have and all athletics stuff that they want.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 8,713 times
Thanks RedShrek,

I plan to look into all these areas before chosing.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,988 times
anymore pictures?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:10 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
I'm not seeing why most black women on this thread are so up in arms about black guys dating white women. You nor I know what those couples have endured, for all we know they could have been high school sweethearts. The fact that the black population up there is extremely small justifies the dating habits. Not every black guy up there is going to spend time searching for a soul mate based strictly on skin color. Its ridiculous for you guys to even make comments such as "they don't appreciate a sista". I am a black male who currently resides in Houston. I've date 3 women in the 25 years that I've been alive. First one was from Somalia, second was a Houston native white woman. And the third was/is East Indian. I don't make an attempt to pursue ONLY black women, I'll persue anyone who gives me the time of day to talk to them. If the conversation and person are intriguing then I do my best to take the relationship further. I think you guys will be much happier if you just take things at face value and open up your options, afterall I consider myself an American. When I went to Mexico I was not looked at as black, I was treated like an American. People assumed that I was wealthy because I was from America, they assumed they could con and price gouge me because I was American, not because I was black. I don't know how many times I can say this but you guys need to consider yourselves Americans and not group yourselves into limited racial barriers. There are foriegn nations that would love to see ALL AMEIRCANS dead, not just whites so understand that we are in 2009. And just incase anyone decides to say "well whites need to consider us Americans/equals also", please save this for someone who has not heard this statement before. The eye for an eye approach is not valid in such a case. Its about being a bigger person and accepting things for what they are. Make no mistake, I have a black woman that I would give my life for and she is my mom, but I love her because she is my mom and not because she is black. If she were white it would be no different because this is the person who loved, guided, and taught me for 18+ years and continues to do so.

Michael.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I'm not seeing why most black women on this thread are so up in arms about black guys dating white women. You nor I know what those couples have endured, for all we know they could have been high school sweethearts. The fact that the black population up there is extremely small justifies the dating habits. Not every black guy up there is going to spend time searching for a soul mate based strictly on skin color. Its ridiculous for you guys to even make comments such as "they don't appreciate a sista". I am a black male who currently resides in Houston. I've date 3 women in the 25 years that I've been alive. First one was from Somalia, second was a Houston native white woman. And the third was/is East Indian. I don't make an attempt to pursue ONLY black women, I'll persue anyone who gives me the time of day to talk to them. If the conversation and person are intriguing then I do my best to take the relationship further. I think you guys will be much happier if you just take things at face value and open up your options, afterall I consider myself an American. When I went to Mexico I was not looked at as black, I was treated like an American. People assumed that I was wealthy because I was from America, they assumed they could con and price gouge me because I was American, not because I was black. I don't know how many times I can say this but you guys need to consider yourselves Americans and not group yourselves into limited racial barriers. There are foriegn nations that would love to see ALL AMEIRCANS dead, not just whites so understand that we are in 2009. And just incase anyone decides to say "well whites need to consider us Americans/equals also", please save this for someone who has not heard this statement before. The eye for an eye approach is not valid in such a case. Its about being a bigger person and accepting things for what they are. Make no mistake, I have a black woman that I would give my life for and she is my mom, but I love her because she is my mom and not because she is black. If she were white it would be no different because this is the person who loved, guided, and taught me for 18+ years and continues to do so.

Michael.
There needs to be more voices of reason like yourself to set things straight.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM

1,006 posts, read 735,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There needs to be more voices of reason like yourself to set things straight.
I try but sadly I am generalized into the "Uncle Tom" and "Oreo" categories. I don't care but its sad that Afrocentric people view me this way.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 01-15-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
I try but sadly I am generalized into the "Uncle Tome" and "Oreo" categories. I don't care but its sad that Afrocentric people view me this way.
That makes two of us. I have been subject to the same problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area