Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM

225 posts, read 1,089,625 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm currently finishing up my degree as Criminal Justice Major here in iowa. Once i'm done i'm looking to move out of iowa and get a job as an officer in another part of the country. One of the area's i've been looking at is the seattle area. I've read up on it a little bit, but was wanting to get a real persons perspective on it.
I was wondering what it's like to work for the Seattle police and what there reputation is like? I'm looking to move out to the west coast or to the south to get away from all of the snow out here. So if u could also tell me how much snow the area gets i would be grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,250,248 times
I wonder if there is an objective source for this kind of info. My feeling is the Seattle cops are a bunch of jerks, worse than anywhere else I have lived.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,822,771 times
I'm no expert, but I understand that Seattle's PD is nationally accredited (I can't remember the name of the organization that does the accreditation). Most big-city departments are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
Hello,
I'm currently finishing up my degree as Criminal Justice Major here in iowa. Once i'm done i'm looking to move out of iowa and get a job as an officer in another part of the country. One of the area's i've been looking at is the seattle area. I've read up on it a little bit, but was wanting to get a real persons perspective on it.
I was wondering what it's like to work for the Seattle police and what there reputation is like? I'm looking to move out to the west coast or to the south to get away from all of the snow out here. So if u could also tell me how much snow the area gets i would be grateful

Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,056,523 times
Almost no snow. You can check City-Data.com and all the Google statistics available for Seattle annual weather info. We get a couple or a few days (not consecutive days) of snow per year, and the snow melts in a day or two. No one shovels snow here because there's rarely enuogh.

Compared with "the south", you'll find much lower humidity here all year, and in the winter much more drizzle.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 PM

7 posts, read 35,235 times
Default Seattle Police Department

Hi Collint. I am a security director for one of the downtown seattle companies and have worked with Seattle Police on all manner of issues over the past 30 years. I have found the officers, with very few exceptions, to be non judgemental and fair arbitrators in their response and assessment of events. In other words, an extremely professional group.

It is a large department, a diverse group of officers, and from what I have observed, fairly rapid rank and promotional opportunities abound. The city is divided into four precincts (east, west, north, south) and each has its own character, and seems to be plenty of transfers between the precincts, so I don't think boredom would ever be an issue with SPD. The town itself is still a fairly decent environment overall, but certainly the police department sees it warts and all, and I believe are a large part of the reason it is still a decent town.

I know SPD is always hiring, and I would recommend you visit their web site, and certainly check with the Seattle Police Officers Guild as well. They should be able to provide you more details.

Beware naysayers, who have not seen Seattle Police in action day in and day out. I have. I play straight in life, am non judgemental, and treat everyone with dignity and respect. From what I have observed of SPD, they run the same sort of department. If that fits you, I would encourage you to explore our town and law enforcement opportunites further.

BTW, in the suburban departments around Seattle you should find essentially the same sort of professionalism, but you would probably experience less diversity among the population you serve, as well as more of some of the routine dimensions of law enforcement, like running traffic.

You also asked about snow. Most years there is very little, and downtown Seattle is rare for any lasting snow event due to its location - shadowed by the Olympic Mountains, at sea level, and warmth from the buidlings and streets usually (emphasis on that last word) keeps any snow from sticking. When it does, all bets are off. The population shakes in terror at the hint of a major, or minor, snow event. This is probably because of the hilly terrain around town, and the traffic congestion in a snow event can make getting home anytime short of several hours problematic.

Hope that helps. Best wishes to you!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM

rick49 thank you for the info thats the type of stuff i'm looking for

Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 AM

425 posts, read 953,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I wonder if there is an objective source for this kind of info. My feeling is the Seattle cops are a bunch of jerks, worse than anywhere else I have lived.

The knee-jerk reaction in Seattle seems to be that the SPD is ALWAYS wrong. God help you if you ever use force in making an arrest, and especially if you ever fire your weapon.

SPD is a solid department, that is unfortunately led by people that are afraid to stand up for their officers when it isn't politically correct to do so.

I wouldn't want to work for a PD that was overseen by Greg Nickels and the Seattle City Council. Lot's of other good options out there.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM

ok i'm gonna sound dumb but who is greg nickels

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,581,571 times
...are racist!!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
...are racist!!
what makes u think there racist? u have any proof of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area