Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,309 times

Advertisements

My family is planning to relocate from the CA Bay Area to the Seattle area next spring. Since we will choose the town we move to before my husband finds a job, we need to keep our options open for a commute to Seattle, Bellevue, or Kirkland.

My parents live in Poulsbo, so the Bainbridge Island option is very attractive to me, but my husband just isn't sure about the ferry commute. I would like to find some options on the Eastside without going too far from the Sound. I know that the Lake area is nice and offers many options, but we would first like to try to find something on the Sound.

Here's what we are looking for: A smaller town with a population under 40,000, a safe community to raise our 4 young children. So far Edmonds is the most likely option but I'd like to have a few more. We are willing to spend up to $900,000 on a house. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 112,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosemaher View Post
My family is planning to relocate from the CA Bay Area to the Seattle area next spring. Since we will choose the town we move to before my husband finds a job, we need to keep our options open for a commute to Seattle, Bellevue, or Kirkland.

My parents live in Poulsbo, so the Bainbridge Island option is very attractive to me, but my husband just isn't sure about the ferry commute. I would like to find some options on the Eastside without going too far from the Sound. I know that the Lake area is nice and offers many options, but we would first like to try to find something on the Sound.

Here's what we are looking for: A smaller town with a population under 40,000, a safe community to raise our 4 young children. So far Edmonds is the most likely option but I'd like to have a few more. We are willing to spend up to $900,000 on a house. Thanks.

Live close to work. If your working in Seattle, live in Poulsbo. If your working in Bellvue, live in Kirkland. If you work in Kirkland, live in Kirkland.
You don't want to be commuting, TRUST ME. Your life will be much better, unless you don't like your husband all that much and want him out of the house as much as possible.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 45,995 times
what if I worked in Renton, where would be a good spot?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
If you don't know where you will be working or you might be moving after a while then maybe Mercer Island would be a good choice. It has good access to Seattle and Bellevue, but a commute to Renton will occasionally be a problem. I used to have to drive down to Renton every day and you have to learn the alternate routes for when the freeway is backed up.

The town of Mercer Island is about 32000 and is one of the safest places in the metro area. The public schools are rated pretty well.

There are lots of houses in your price range but you might not get a water view. Redfin.com is a good site to see what is available for sale in a particular area.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:24 PM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
If you like the small town feel----I am not sure I would be in any of the areas mentioned---not too say they are not nice or do not have alot of positive things about them. It is just that they all run together and it seems like just one huge big town with traffic, traffic and more traffic. Land is an issue here. I would actually come for a visit and look around. The commute into Seattle is ugly unless you take mass transit or live close by. I am sure your family can give you advice and yes I would not want to take the ferrys myself but that is me. I might consider Woodenville and their are other places like around echo lake area that are nice. I so prefer Snohomish county. You have time so look around. I wish you the best---ps--I live off of Echo Lake Rd and I work in Kirland---commute time is around 20---rarely 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area