U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 15,369 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am going to be working at Costco HQ in Issaquah. I'd like to find safe neighborhoods, within about a 20-30 minute commute. I'd need a 2 bedroom, and I don't want to pay more than $1100 (preferably closer to $900 or $1000, but I don't know if that's possible). I'm not worried about schools or activities or anything like that. But SAFETY is paramount, and I can't handle long commutes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM

204 posts, read 684,113 times
Safety in the Issaquah area is a non issue, i believe. Anything you find around there is pretty well "safe" as far as i know. I'm not sure about what you're looking for in housing, but you aren't going to find a single family dwelling in that area for that much money. You'll have to look into :ugh: apartments, i'm sure.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,262,167 times
Try Issaquah. It's quite a safe area. And since Issaquah residential areas are relatively new, rentals are generally attractive and appealing. There are many, many condos and some townhomes in Issaquah which will comprise a lot of the rental properties.

An alternative that would meet your commuting time and safety requirements would be North Bend, east of Issaquah. North Bend is older and would have some properties with lower rents but also has a lot of newer condos. I personally love North Bend for its small town feel and closeness to the mountains. On a map you may see Preston between Issaquah and North Bend; it's beautiful, and no larger than the head of a pin so would have few, if any, rentals. Or you might consider Newcastle or Newport Hills, west of Issaquah and south of Bellevue. All these towns are just off I-90 and would be a fairly painless commute to Issaquah.

Try the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in the area. This will open for the east side, which is where all those cities and towns are. Click on any smaller city for rentals in that city:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/...t=1&search2=No
There's also craigslist. Be certain that you NEVER ever ever send any money to anyone until you verify that the property really is exactly as advertised, and that the person is legally authorized to rent the property.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM

524 posts, read 2,502,034 times
Here is where we lived in Issaquah and you could actually walk to work, it would take about 10 minutes. We walked over there every weekend for the farmers market there.

Park Hill At Issaquah in Issaquah, WA - Issaquah, Washington Apartment Rentals | Essex Property Trust

Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't mind an apartment/townhouse. As much as I love a single-family dwelling, I just can't take care of a yard right now.

I spoke with a police officer in Issaquah. He said he wouldn't let his daughter live in downtown Issaquah. That's why I haven't looked there. So, I'm surprised that everyone here seems to think it's safe.

Do apartments near there EVER come with air conditioning??? I don't see it anywhere!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM

We'd all agree, I'm sure, with the officer who wouldn't let his daughter live in downtown Issaquah. But you eliminated the entire city based on one street.

Downtown Issaquah is fairly old. It still has many of the old shacks lived in by miners, loggers, and quarry workers from the late 19th and early 20th century. Fascinating! (But you should see Black Diamond and Buckley...)
Small shops grew around those little houses, along the railroad.

That was then. This is now. The main street has had a lot of beautification and restoration, but has traffic and thus noise, and gas stations, etc. "Issaquah" now is an entirely different place -- a fairly upscale residential community. In the second half of the last century it was developed in outward patterns. What we are talking about are the rentals you will find advertised, newish and fine.

No, there isn't air conditioning anywhere here except in sealed-window hotels. It would be lovely on about 4 or 8 days in July or August. Period. So we open our windows after sundown and let that very brisk cold ocean breeze from the southwest race through our homes. The other 357 days, no need.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

Ahh, ok. So I should look for places away from the main street? (Is that "Front Street"?) How far away do you need to get before things are nice and safe?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Yes, Front St. is the main street, the "downtown".
Just give it 3 or 4 blocks from Front St. and you've got treed heaven.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,142,182 times
There are some nice apartments up Issaquah Fall City Rd that sit just up behind Home Depot, etc. You could also even go up to Redmond right near Marymoor Park. It might be a bit trafficky but still not a bad commute. I would also look in Issaquah Highlands.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,578,844 times
I'll second what Texas T Girl said. Issaquah fall city and black nugget roads both have numerous nice apts and condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area