U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:58 PM

486 posts, read 1,788,836 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm 18 and a senior in high school in Lexington, KY, graduating on May 23 and wanted to take a trip to the Pacific NW once I finish school. I've been to the west coast only once and that was to Los Angeles for two weeks. I'll have the first two weeks of June to spend in Washington and would like some tips and recommendations for things to do while in Seattle. As I said, it's my first time in the area and I'd like to spend as much time outdoors as possible. A friend of mine is from Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula and has been giving me some advice, but I'd like to ask you, the locals, as well. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,160,940 times
First, I would try to come more towards late July or August. It is still grey in June.

I suggest Kerry Park in Seattle. It's in the Queen Anne area. Beautiful view of downtown Seattle and the Space Needle. The water front area is very nice also.

Olympic National Park is only about 20 miles from Port Angeles. I suggest going there. Very nice. Also, Mt. Rainier is close to Seattle and Tacoma. I recommend taking a trip down there.

I just got back from Leavenworth, Washington for a weekend trip a couple weeks ago. It's a quiant little Bavarian mountian town, about 2 hours from Seattle. The Alpine Lakes Wilderness is just outside Leavenworth, and offers some great hiking. The views can't be beat.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 31,784 times
Pikes Place Market in downtown Seattle (where they throw fish) is a popular place to go; you can walk to the pier from there, where are some interesting views, an aquarium, etc.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM

263 posts, read 1,024,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Hello, I'm 18 and a senior in high school in Lexington, KY, graduating on May 23 and wanted to take a trip to the Pacific NW once I finish school. I've been to the west coast only once and that was to Los Angeles for two weeks. I'll have the first two weeks of June to spend in Washington and would like some tips and recommendations for things to do while in Seattle. As I said, it's my first time in the area and I'd like to spend as much time outdoors as possible. A friend of mine is from Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula and has been giving me some advice, but I'd like to ask you, the locals, as well. Thanks for your help!
some that i didn't see....

- alaskan highway is neat for tourists...and i think it's 1st or 2nd ave that is also cool and has the pike place market as others suggested

- there's a river (dunno the name) just before leavenworth that is really awesome and worth the stop before you get into leavenworth.

-Lake Crescent (is that olympic park?). you can hike up the small mountain, so bring some shoes and don't get a rash from the bushes!

-seattle underground tour:
UNDERGROUND TOUR

-redhook beer tour...maybe wait till you're 21.
Redhook

-snoqaulmie falls is pretty cool
SnoqualmieFalls.com - Main

-take a ferry ride from bremerton to seattle. pretty cool.

-space needle at night and day.

-alki beach and seeing the views of seattle from across the waterway is worth a trip

-if you stay in north puget sound then take a trip to victoria, british columbia. pretty wicked ferry ride from port angeles(?).

-and pretty much everything everyone else recommended

Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,256,098 times
In Seattle, Pike Place Market (not "Pikes" or "Pike's"; the market is on Pike Place) is a fabulous jumble of farmer's market stands, craft shops, restaurants overlooking Elliott Bay, and a variety of other shops.

These threads are filled with suggestions from Seattleites about great ideas when visiting Seattle:
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...mer-visit.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...some-help.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...n-seattle.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...oroporate.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...t-seattle.html
And ignore the title of this thread; the info in the posts is fabulous:
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...nths-what.html

Actually, there is no Alaskan Highway in Seattle so don't worry if you can't find it on a map. There is an Alaskan Way, which is just a street like any other. A small portion, a few blocks, of Alaskan Way is a viaduct which is a bridge built over other streets. It is uncertain if the Alaskan Way viaduct is entirely safe since the 2001 Nisqually earthquake. I don't advise deliberately traveling on the viaduct.

On the Oympic Peninsula, Port Angeles is 60 miles from the most beautiful place on earth, the Hoh Rain Forest, just a bit south of Forks, WA. The Quinault Rain Forest is farther south. The official mileage chart from Port Angeles to various locations in WA is published by the Washington State Dept. of Transportation:
WSDOT - Highway Map - Mileage Chart - Starting from Port Angeles

If you travel to Canada by water (ferry) you will need a passport or a NEXUS driver's license to be granted entry into Canada, and to be granted entry back into the U.S.

Have a lot of fun planning!

Last edited by allforcats; 12-18-2008 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 PM

486 posts, read 1,788,836 times
Thank you all for the replies! I'm actually planning on staying in Port Angeles for a night or two while I'm there, so I'll definitely check out Forks and the forests around there! Since you've mentioned Forks I just have to bring up the Twilight series for a minute... is the town itself nice and how is La Push Beach? Everything mentioned sounds great and I can't wait to finally see the PNW for myself!

Old 12-18-2008, 07:43 PM

263 posts, read 1,024,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
If you travel to Canada by water (ferry) you will need a passport or a NEXUS driver's license to be granted entry into Canada, and to be granted entry back into the U.S.

Have a lot of fun planning!

You don't need a passport to get into Canada using the ferry system from Port Angeles.
Canada

"If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. "

By the time teebird1012 goes, though, it appears he will need a passport(summer of 2009 law changes).

Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 AM

Good point, Mike, for right now. And by summer, the OP will need the passport. Which is always a good thing to have anyway, eh?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Thank you all for the replies! I'm actually planning on staying in Port Angeles for a night or two while I'm there, so I'll definitely check out Forks and the forests around there! Since you've mentioned Forks I just have to bring up the Twilight series for a minute... is the town itself nice and how is La Push Beach? Everything mentioned sounds great and I can't wait to finally see the PNW for myself!
Yeah, I figured that if you're 18, sooner or later you'd mention Forks...
Forks is a small town surrounded by rain forest. Here are two current really interesting threads about Forks:
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...-suddenly.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...t-angeles.html

La Push is a breathtakingly beautiful point on the Pacific coast.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~geek/lapush.html
La Push Washington Travel Guide
It's a town of the Quileute Native American nation and it's on the Quileute Reservation but you can drive in there and drive around the roads. The town is 14 miles west of Forks on a road where you'll see only trees and sky. Once you're near the coast, you'll know it. You can park in the obvious parking lot, get out, and walk to the water and gaze at the amazing scenery. Google La Push WA pictures and see what comes up.

You should really stay at least two nights on the Olympic Peninsula -- so that on your way from Port Angeles to Forks you can stop at Crescent Lake, a beautiful and thrilling glacial lake. Once you've seen Crescent, you'll know what Alaskan and Montanan lakes look like! You can spend at least one day in the rain forests and on the amazing coast (Ruby Beach, Rialto Beach, Second Beach, Third Beach) out at/near La Push.

Then the second day you could go into the Olympic National Forest/Olympic National Park and drive up Hurricane Ridge, meaning drive up the mountain, where you'll likely seek elk herds, eagles, deer, maybe bear. At that time of year, do not -- what? DO NOT!! -- get out of the car to gaze at a bear. The bear will likely be a female, and her one or two cubs will be near her, and mother bears are ferocious in protection of their young. DO NOT get out of your car. Use a camera with an automatic telephoto lens.
After a gut-wrenching and beautiful, slow drive, you will be on top of a mountain. Have you ever done that before? The view is spec-tac-ular!!!
Olympic National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Washington State Tourism Hurricane Ridge (http://www.experiencewa.com/attraction.aspx?id=232 - broken link)
Port Angeles Chamber of Commerce informational web site for lodging, dining, events and Olympic National Park - Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce

Just thought of something that's more-than-magical that I think isn't in any of those Seattle threads: whale watching! This is the company I always use: excellent experience, not expensive, knowledgeable folks, and in my experience trustworthy (some aren't). Whales!! Holy cow!!
http://www.island-adventures.com/

Have fun!

Last edited by allforcats; 12-19-2008 at 01:20 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,572 times
If you like hiking, I'd highly recommend driving out I-90 to North Bend and hiking up (Mount) Little Si.

When I did it, it took about 4 hours to hike to the top and back, but I took a break for lunch at the rock crest.

Mount Si / Little Si - North Bend, WA

If you love hiking, Little Si might be too...well, little, and Mount Si would be the thing for you I'd plan on a day for that hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area