Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 PM

145 posts, read 643,426 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the job boards for the Seattle metro area and like everywhere else in the country (except Dallas/DC) they've been slipping away.

Anyone got a good sense of how things are going on in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,049,421 times
Tentative businesses, and those depending on consumer spending such as restaurants, are slimming down or drifting away. Sturdier businesses with wider customer bases seem to be basically chugging along.
Have you been checking the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in the Seattle area?
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs

Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,023,363 times
Pretty abysmal says my software engineering husband. His company just had layoffs and it is requiring a few days of unpaid leave over the next several weeks. Thank goodness he is taking another job in a stronger market.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Tentative businesses, and those depending on consumer spending such as restaurants, are slimming down or drifting away. Sturdier businesses with wider customer bases seem to be basically chugging along.
Have you been checking the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers in the Seattle area?
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs

I've looked, but haven't kept track of jobs on that site. I've watched Dice.com go from 2700+ listings in October to the current number of 1520! That's only 2 months and nearly half gone with the wind. I was hoping someone would tell me the sun still shines in Seattle, unlike the rest of the country. Guess not. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Pretty abysmal says my software engineering husband. His company just had layoffs and it is requiring a few days of unpaid leave over the next several weeks. Thank goodness he is taking another job in a stronger market.

Is that stronger market Austin, as your status indicates? Texas is the only place besides DC I've seen not lose many IT jobs over the past few months. Not sure how other markets are doing there. Dallas, however, has started losing many in the just the last week (nearly 20% on dice). Maybe it's just taking things longer to catch up to the energy state??

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,023,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
Is that stronger market Austin, as your status indicates? Texas is the only place besides DC I've seen not lose many IT jobs over the past few months. Not sure how other markets are doing there. Dallas, however, has started losing many in the just the last week (nearly 20% on dice). Maybe it's just taking things longer to catch up to the energy state??
I suppose I should qualify my statement a little to say that Austin's job market is probably better overall than Seattle's. The technical company that my husband is going to work for is doing very well right now. I don't think you will see as many software engineering jobs in Austin as you will in Seattle but the tech sector isn't quite as big there. Texas has a better business climate in terms of taxes and costs than does Washington and that probably why you are seeing Dallas as continuing to be strong. I am not sure about the 20% drop, maybe those positions have just been filled. My understanding is that there are a lot of people relocating to TX right now, especially from California and the upper Midwest.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I suppose I should qualify my statement a little to say that Austin's job market is probably better overall than Seattle's. The technical company that my husband is going to work for is doing very well right now. I don't think you will see as many software engineering jobs in Austin as you will in Seattle but the tech sector isn't quite as big there. Texas has a better business climate in terms of taxes and costs than does Washington and that probably why you are seeing Dallas as continuing to be strong. I am not sure about the 20% drop, maybe those positions have just been filled. My understanding is that there are a lot of people relocating to TX right now, especially from California and the upper Midwest.

Oh yeah, there are many reasons for the drop and we could spend all day guessin. Just have to see if things go back up after Christmas. It's normal for non-retail companies to slow down on hiring until the new year begins.

Good luck.... Davy Crockett - "you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!"

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,049,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post

I was hoping someone would tell me the sun still shines in Seattle
You're joking! Haven't you heard? The sun never shines in Seattle.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 PM

100 posts, read 304,966 times
I have friends and family in Texas and the contruction is down and they are laying off in that area. My sister is in computer programing in the McKinney area and is doing okay. Was doing contract jobs but just recently got a premanate job. As for Seattle area, my husband got laid off middle of Nov. He was working for an plumbing company. We are now doing self-employment. Keeping are fingers crossed. No insurance. I worked retail and that area is not hiring. I lived in Texas for 4 yrs and could not handle the heat. Good luck everyone.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,512,511 times
Personally, I would not say Austin's tech environment is stronger than Seattle's. It does not have the depth that Seattle has by any means...and I am not bashing Austin. I loved it there. We were in tech in Austin for 7 years (2000-2007) and suffered many tech layoffs in the 2001-2003 range and when it hits, it hits really hard because Austin's tech environment is mostly small companies and start ups. You have Dell, NI and Samsung as bigger employers and beyond that, you are looking at small companies. In fact, my husband's company here just relo'ed two families FROM Austin who had lost tech jobs there or felt their jobs were in jepoardy (at Dell). And we have another family friend who moved here from Dallas to work at MS in a tech job this month because his company in Dallas was shaky. Word is from several friends who are software engineers in Austin is that things are about to get rough as sales pipelines go dry for Q1/Q2. It's hard to fund working on a new release when no one is buying the current release. I know we could all recount similar stories in Seattle...so that's just to say, I don't think Austin is faring better by any means. My sister who worked in marketing for a tech company got laid off in August and has yet to find anything even though she is highly qualified and has interviewed a lot. And Jennibc it did take your husband at least 6 months or more to find a good tech job in Austin right? And he was a highly qualified candidate I think. Just MO, but we lived in Austin for a total of 10 years and I have a husband who is techie/MBA and was an IT Director at several companies...we know a lot of friends there who are worried. I think Dallas is anyone's best bet for a strong Texas job market right now. Because when you get laid off there, you have other options because it has a more diverse economy with bigger companies located there. When you get laid off in Austin, you have a 100 talented software engineers competing for the same 10 jobs. I have heard from clients in Houston that outside of OG jobs, things are not so hot there either. So good luck...I say cast your net far and wide for maybe 3 to 5 different cities you would consider living in. And don't exclude Seattle. Companies here are still hiring...especially if you are the right person for the job and have a great resume. The three people we know that came here got full relo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area