U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:04 PM

11 posts, read 31,790 times

Advertisements

I moved to Seattle a year ago and have heard all kinds of bemoanings about the traffic jams here. I think Seattleites should take a trip to LA, rent a car, and spend an hour or so sitting on an LA freeway, pondering the difference between a traffic "jam" in the two cities.

Anyone else have a comparison?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,817,820 times
I got that beat. Mid town Manhattan!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,258,978 times
Okay, I'll chime in: The entrances to the Williamsburg Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel. Queensboro Bridge. All of Queens Blvd! Okay, the entire Long Island "Expressway".

CHEV! How's Sotobori Dori in the June monsoon at rush hour?

Last edited by allforcats; 12-24-2008 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Ignorance Confession: I rented a car to drive from Reagan airport to attend a conference...driving back on a rainy morning for an early flight, I encountered a sign saying something about anyone other that "HOV" had better exit; I had never seen that terminology, being from the West coast; so I drive along for awhile and notice that virtually EVERYONE exited; I'm paranoid; am I breaking the law? So, I get off, and am lost; barely made my flight; that's my dumb story of being ignorant of the local culture.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,258,978 times
And I thought "HOV" qua language came from California... Culcha schmulcha....

Old 12-24-2008, 11:03 PM

948 posts, read 3,560,038 times
Seattle traffic terrible?...have you been to LA?

No, but I have been to L.A.
LA isn't bad at all

Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 PM

145 posts, read 614,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBob View Post
Ignorance Confession: I rented a car to drive from Reagan airport to attend a conference...driving back on a rainy morning for an early flight, I encountered a sign saying something about anyone other that "HOV" had better exit; I had never seen that terminology, being from the West coast; so I drive along for awhile and notice that virtually EVERYONE exited; I'm paranoid; am I breaking the law? So, I get off, and am lost; barely made my flight; that's my dumb story of being ignorant of the local culture.

Yeah, from western US here and did something like that IN NYC. Friggin' toll way thingies. What the hell is that? Some months later after my trip i got a ticket in the mail for driving through one. Guess you have to have a sticker or something.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 AM

1,626 posts, read 6,460,221 times
HOV was always the official term down there in California, but everyone seemed to refer to them as carpool lanes, or diamond lanes, and the signs, as I recall, had diamonds on them rather than the HOV terminology. But I seem to recall seeing "HOV" signs in Washington and Oregon for years. I'm not sure if "HOV" is more common on California signs now.

Regarding the LA comparison, one of the first thoughts I had when I came to Washington was regarding the I-405. "They call this puny little thing a freeway?" The I-405 in SoCal is a very wide, multi-lane monster (and still one of the most congested, heavily traveled roads on the planet).

The turnpikes back east were very confusing to me at first, as well. Not to mention costly, in terms of spare change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

Old 12-25-2008, 02:37 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,817,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
Yeah, from western US here and did something like that IN NYC. Friggin' toll way thingies. What the hell is that? Some months later after my trip i got a ticket in the mail for driving through one. Guess you have to have a sticker or something.
It's call "Easy Pass", and you get to drive through the tolls instead of stopping to pay cash. You keep it on your dash board and a camera scans it as you go through. But if the scanner doesn't see it another camera takes a picture of your license plate so they know where to send the ticket.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
California calls them "Carpool lanes"

Here in Washington State the toll pass gizmos are called "Good to Go"; no explanation given on any signs; if you pass through a Good to Go lane without having the pass, you get the ol' ticket in the mail; Isaw a letter to the editor expressing "thanks for your hospitality to out-of-staters" from a lady visiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area