Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 15,966 times

Advertisements

What is the reason for the low math scores in Washington? One of the ways we are searching for an area to live is by looking at school test scores. Reading is fine, but math is not. We found a website that ranks schools in the state. Only the top 10 elementary, the top 2 middle, and the top 1 high schools scored both scores in the 90's%. Is it because a new state test was administered for the first time last year? Does the state education agency have expectations that are too high? Do the schools need to use different curriculum? Do the teachers need different training to teach it? What is the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
I personally blame the "Every day Math" curriculum. But I don't know if that's the reason, I just think it's a lame way to teach math.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 PM

99 posts, read 386,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4satx View Post
What is the reason for the low math scores in Washington? One of the ways we are searching for an area to live is by looking at school test scores. Reading is fine, but math is not. We found a website that ranks schools in the state. Only the top 10 elementary, the top 2 middle, and the top 1 high schools scored both scores in the 90's%. Is it because a new state test was administered for the first time last year? Does the state education agency have expectations that are too high? Do the schools need to use different curriculum? Do the teachers need different training to teach it? What is the reason?
It's all about teaching the kids how to pass the "WASL" test

Old 12-30-2008, 02:57 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
I think kids are v. distracted these days by text messaging and their social lives. Math requires concentration and is also looked down upon as geeky. That's why we have to import engineers from places like India and China. Ironically, their classrooms are v. simple and low budget. The key is that they did not grow up with all the distracting toys and gizmos that our kids have. Hopefully, some day, parents will get a clue.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM

I've only heard about Everyday Math. What is bad about it? I'd like to know what we will need to help our kids with.

Here in Texas we teach to the test, too. But the difference is that hundreds of schools pass with 90s or above. Why aren't Washington students passing?

I will agree that kids have distractions, they have them here, as well. In our area almost all kids have phones (not mine, but most). But once again, our school has 98% passing.

What is the missing link? What is the cause? Is there a teacher or administrator out there that can help bring light to this? Could someone ask?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Washington and Texas students score nearly identical on national standardized math and english tests.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM

That would be a relief. Do you know the name of the test or a website?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: