Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM

426 posts, read 1,735,880 times

Advertisements

Tim Horton's is actually owned by an American company (Wendy's), so I guess they are kind of like Canada's Budweiser now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 10,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I've traveled many Canadian cities, and not a single Canadian city has a "cool" vibe. Check that - no Canadian cities have any "vibes" period. Although "on paper" they may, and although they are nice and multicultural, I feel like I am seeing them in black and white. What I mean is that there is absolutely no "color" to their cities. Their skyscrapers are ticky-tack condo towers that all look identical. The "world-famous" Yonge Street in Toronto is just a glorified strip mall with worse food. Furthermore, Canadians are boring, insecure, and filled with an unjustified sense of superiority. Not to mention that every Torontonian is annoyingly just bursting at the seams to inform any American that they were named the most multicultural city in the world.

I'd take Seattle over Vancouver any day. Way more personality, and most importantly, doesn't just feel like a city ran by tourism dollars and old or rich Torontonians tropical retirement/vacation homes.
Just saw this one - harsh, but sorry, it's fairly true. Our landlady (as just one example) spent the ENTIRE two years that we lived there sending me articles about how much the States sucked and calling me every time something bad happened in the States (yes, there was a lot to call about, I am the first to admit!). Many Canadians told me that we would "never elect Obama, because Canada is so much further ahead than the States in terms of minorities having equal status" and "you just won't elect someone that good; you're not capable of it."

It's not that I think the States are perfect, but I've lived enough places and have enough of a world view to understand that EVERY place has its pluses and minuses. Most Canadians I encountered could not admit that Canada had any problems at all.

Now, I said MOST, and not ALL. My dearest Canadian friends are wonderful people. I will admit that even they were shocked and horrified that I wanted to return to the States. "But why?? Canada is just so....wonderful!!" they kept repeating. I had to explain that I believe that if you want to make something better, you stay and work for it. I love my country and believe we are capable of so much good. They didn't see that at all. My European friends, on the other hand, always saw it the way I did and had faith in the States.

Like I always said when I lived there, "If you don't want the U.S. to take over your culture, then QUIT FILLING THE PARKING LOTS AT WAL-MART." You have a choice as a consumer. Make your Canadian voice heard, and quit acting like we are some bad, mean, big bully who is making you shop at Wal-Mart, Starbucks, and McDonald's. Shop as locally as possible.

Be the change you want to see in your country. Don't waste time whining about how awful we are and strengthen the wonderful identity that you do have!

Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitlapin View Post
Be the change you want to see in your country. Don't waste time whining about how awful we are and strengthen the wonderful identity that you do have!
Right! See how this thread ended? Maybe we should re-read the original post and give the person who started this thread the information he/she needs. You may still argue that all these long stories you posted are relevant in a way or another, this last quote of yours included. I'm still one of those who are somewhat undecided, though. Can you, please, give me more examples why Canada in general, and Vancouver, in particular, suck, especially comparing to US? Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM

95 posts, read 117,708 times
tie

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle might have more folks in the suburbs, but Vancouver has a larger population within it's city limits than Seattle does. It feels more urban, and has taller buildings. More people live in high rises.
Vancouver has taller buildings?? I was just there and can contest your statement. Seattle has some of the tallest buildings in any city of North America. I was also in downtown Vancouver and felt that it felt much more like a smaller city with a resort feel.. IT was like a mix of Portland (large number of hipsters, the white people, i.e.), Singapore and Miami (only in regards to being resort-like). It felt much more international, but not really more cosmopolitan.. The public transportation though blows Seattle away. I rode the SkyTrain and thought it was fun and amazed at how inexpensive and efficient it was compared to Seattle's sorry excuse for public transportation.

The mountain scenery around Vancouver blew my mind.. It was like the Columbia Gorge as a backdrop of a large Asian looking city. However, I still think Seattle's skyline is more spectacular, but the natural scenery of Vancouver is amazing, although from the right angle, the backdrop of the Olympics around Seattle could be equally spectacular and of course Mt Rainier makes an amazing backdrop, although its a bit far from Seattle. Seattle's downtown skyline along with the space needle cannot be beat by even most American cities, Vancouver definitely does not compare either with respect to skylines.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 03-20-2014 at 01:45 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Seattle is definitely grittier, but it's a bit more of a working city whereas Vancouver has a bit of a resort/retirement feel.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 AM

510 posts, read 609,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aek11 View Post
So for those of you who are familiar with and have an opinion about both cities, what do you think are the similarities and differences. Here are some categories that you can comment on:
1. Restaurants
2. People - cultural differences, personality differences
3. Nightlife
4. Jobs (especially software industry)
5. Lifestyle
And etc.
1.) Vancouver has slightly better restaurants, much better Chinese food.
2.) Vancouver is more multicultural, but I also find it a bit more "busy" than Seattle, so I'm not sure about this one. I love being in Vancouver and being able to watch English TV, French TV, Cantonese TV, etc. They also have less censorship on TV and the news seems to be less sensationalist than ours.
3.) I doubt either city ranks on anyone's top ten list for nightlife, but I would give the edge to Seattle. We have a way bigger/stronger music scene, cheaper alcohol, more sports teams to support, etc.
4.) seattle by far
5.) I would say Seattle unless you have a really high paying job. Seattle has higher average salaries, cheaper cost of living, and better weather (Vancouver gets 25% more rain than we do, plus it's colder in winter). Vancouver has better public transit though, a more dense and walkable downtown, and Whistler is awesome.

I have never lived in Vancouver, but I visit often and have distant relatives there. I would like to live there if I could find the right job (or if I were rich )

Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is definitely grittier, but it's a bit more of a working city whereas Vancouver has a bit of a resort/retirement feel.
Seattle has grit , it is indeed a working man's city, whether at the corporate office or the factory.. Seattle and Tacoma are brothers from different mothers, white and blue collar, although SEattle still has plenty of blue collar grittiness to it.

One thing I will never understand about Canadians is why they keep calling our country "The States". It's the "USA", let me spell that out.. You Ess Ayeee.. Or , just call it "America", or even The U.S. .. Please stop calling it "The States"

Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 AM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Seattle has grit , it is indeed a working man's city, whether at the corporate office or the factory.. Seattle and Tacoma are brothers from different mothers, white and blue collar, although SEattle still has plenty of blue collar grittiness to it.

One thing I will never understand about Canadians is why they keep calling our country "The States". It's the "USA", let me spell that out.. You Ess Ayeee.. Or , just call it "America", or even The U.S. .. Please stop calling it "The States"
I guess from the way Canadians see it, our states aren't so "united".

To me, Seattle and Vancouver are apples and oranges. One day I crave an apple, and the next I want an orange...

Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 PM

95 posts, read 117,708 times
seattle has taller buildings, hek better skyline by facts. nautrul beauty tie. and the seattle population is about 20,000 people bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area