Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

Did you ever find any good bagels?

One gets acclimated. Pike Place Bagels in the market aren't bad, Bagel Oases in Ravenna aren't bad, Blazing Bagels in Redmond aren't bad., and Bagel Deli on 15th East near Group Health are ok. All the others? Hockey pucks with seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
It really doesn't have that much prestige from my experience; no one outside the PNW seems to know about it.
I live clear across the country from UW and most people around here have heard of it . I'm a soon-to-be freshman at Vanderbilt University (hence why I'm moving to Nashville in August) but I applied to UW and got accepted. Sounded like a great school, but for me, distance was the main thing that held me back from committing. On a side note I need to quickly ask, how is the market for civil engineers in Seattle?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 AM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
I live clear across the country from UW and most people around here have heard of it . I'm a soon-to-be freshman at Vanderbilt University (hence why I'm moving to Nashville in August) but I applied to UW and got accepted. Sounded like a great school, but for me, distance was the main thing that held me back from committing. On a side note I need to quickly ask, how is the market for civil engineers in Seattle?
I guess it's more that it (and more specifically, its CS department) just doesn't stand out like I expect. For a CS department funded by Bill Gates and supposedly one of the best in the country, I'd think people would know that it's not just any old CS department.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM

187 posts, read 576,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
I guess it's more that it (and more specifically, its CS department) just doesn't stand out like I expect. For a CS department funded by Bill Gates and supposedly one of the best in the country, I'd think people would know that it's not just any old CS department.
With schools like MIT and Cal, who get all the CS/CIS/CE attention, it's no wonder that UW doesn't stick out in those fields. But that's not to say that it doesn't have very good computer science and engineering programs.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
Default tada, are you serious?

You actually think that UW doesn't have a reputation outside of the PNW?

Having worked with folks all over the country, I can assure you that you are precisely wrong on this. UW's reputation is stellar particularly among public universities - and in rareified air in medicine and computer science.

To the OP - I'll never tell anybody that they'll end up loving the weather. Tada and CityGirl are examples of folks who hate it.

If you are ACTIVE - and I mean really active, not just somebody who rollerblades on the strand in Manhattan Beach once a month - I doubt you'll have much of a problem. Winter sports, spring sports, social leagues... all are going during the darker months. But if you decide from the outset that it's too cold/wet/gray, you'll definitely become a prisoner of it.

I know transplants that fall on both sides, so it's impossible to predict. Never know unless you try... and of course, moving away is always an option. Most of us can't wait for Tada to find his nirvana somewhere sunny and brown

Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,566 times
I don't need a place so brown that it's sunny. I just need a place that's not so darned cloudy.

For a place that's so stellar, I have not had one person who lives outside of the PNW be shocked or wet themselves at it. I think motor80 has it right; those other colleges' CS programs obscure UW's CS program like the clouds here obscure the sun.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 PM

You're young, that's obvious.

Here's a hint - people don't "wet themselves" about colleges.

I certainly don't wet myself about Purdue's engineering program or North Carolina's undergrad programs. That's not to be confused with considering them average.

You should try Denver, yes? Or maybe Boise? Sunny, but not desert.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Well first of all I'm not smart enough for Haahvuhd, Yale, etc. Second, I wouldn't wanna go there even if I could.

And I'm interested in the medical and research field which is why I like UW.

My parents are letting me apply for only two out of state schools and I know I'm gonna do UW, but I can't decide between BU, Northeastern, NYU, and Northwestern. They're all really similar, but NWestern is probably out of my league.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 PM

Murderers row of schools there.. don't think you can go wrong.

Pedigree of Northwestern is hard to beat, but there isn't a slouch in the bunch.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Undergraduate programs are really not very important compared to which graduate school you can get into. You might as well go for the best financial aid package, and then excel in the program at that school so you can have your choice of grad schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area