U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Seattle-area, where the sun don't shine
576 posts, read 1,721,692 times
Reputation: 191

Advertisements

If only this place did have a high suicide rate. It would validate that it's depressing to live here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,871 posts, read 16,041,413 times
Reputation: 2660
Default Current States' Rankings: Suicide and Depression

Information from individual experiences is fascinating but not necessarily the same as researched information.

Mental Health America's report completed in November 2008 shows the 51 states including D.C. ranked by occurrences of depression and occurrences of suicide.

Suicide
The research shows that Washington state ranks #36 among the 51 states including D.C. in suicide rates. D.C. ranks highest in suicides; Alaska ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 31% of the country.

Depression
The research shows that Washington state ranks #35 among the 51 states including D.C. in rates of emotional depression. South Dakota ranks highest in depression; Utah ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 32% of the country.

Source: Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
SYS
 
339 posts, read 1,088,211 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm from California born & raised. I'm moving back to California, no matter the cost.

And yes, I was diagnosed with S.A.D. - they put me on 5HTP, vitman D supplements and light therapy

PS: I'm married with kids, and I love my family with my whole soul....but I loved being single and a bachlorette better
I'm from CA originally. Went to Channel Islands High in Oxnard, graduate of U.C.S.B. and U.C. Berkeley and my parents and my sister's family still in San Diego. For many years I've tried to return to CA since I left in 1989 for Boston. But after many visits in the past decade, I've now pretty much given up on CA, particularly Southern CA. I left my heart in San Francisco, though, still my favorite city, but the cost of living is still too high there, and now that I have two kids to take care of, I decided to set my eyes on Bellevue. Hopefully, the SAD syndrome doesn't return once I move there. I've been SAD free ever since I left Boston, and I certainly don't want it back!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 PM
509
 
3,924 posts, read 4,812,375 times
Reputation: 5164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYS View Post
I'm from CA originally. Went to Channel Islands High in Oxnard, graduate of U.C.S.B. and U.C. Berkeley and my parents and my sister's family still in San Diego. For many years I've tried to return to CA since I left in 1989 for Boston. But after many visits in the past decade, I've now pretty much given up on CA, particularly Southern CA. I left my heart in San Francisco, though, still my favorite city, but the cost of living is still too high there, and now that I have two kids to take care of, I decided to set my eyes on Bellevue. Hopefully, the SAD syndrome doesn't return once I move there. I've been SAD free ever since I left Boston, and I certainly don't want it back!!
I would treat SAD seriously. I had it when I lived in Vancouver, B.C. My wife gets it here in eastern Washington during the winter.

Here are my tips. If you live in western Washington get a house or apartment with lots of windows facing south. Make sure your work office is near a window.

Get a wood stove to keep you warm and dry. Some reason that heat just makes me feel better.

Get a small greenhouse to sit in during the winter. They are pretty cheap now.

Take winter vacations somewhere warm and sunny. Eastern Washington has great weather for 9 months of the year. We left for a month whenever we could in January. That took a bite out of SAD's.

We have a cabin up in the mountains that is a half-hour and 3,000 feet higher in elevation than our house. In the winter, many times it is clear while our house is in fog. I go there whenever, it is foggy here and clear up there.

Be aware where it is sunny in the state and go there if possible on weekends. In winter, there are some nice days by the ocean and up in the mountains. Eastern Washington is sunny and warm usually by March.

If you get a sunny day....sit in the sunshine for a couple of hours.

Take advantage of every sunny day.

I will not get into drugs and other therapies.

Good luck in dealing with SAD's. Oh, talk to your spouse about it. You need their support.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM
 
43 posts, read 147,591 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Information from individual experiences is fascinating but not necessarily the same as researched information.

Mental Health America's report completed in November 2008 shows the 51 states including D.C. ranked by occurrences of depression and occurrences of suicide.

Suicide
The research shows that Washington state ranks #36 among the 51 states including D.C. in suicide rates. D.C. ranks highest in suicides; Alaska ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 31% of the country.

Depression
The research shows that Washington state ranks #35 among the 51 states including D.C. in rates of emotional depression. South Dakota ranks highest in depression; Utah ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 32% of the country.

Source: Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States
You've read the list backward -- South Dakota is ranked #1 as LOWEST depression rate.

Likewise, DC has the lowest and Alaska the highest suicide rates.

Example: look at Utah as ranked lowest for having the highest rate of depression:
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695231614,00.html

Alaska as ranked lowest because it has the highest suicide rate:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_7584821

Which means (out of 50 states + DC)
WA: 15th highest depression rate
WA: 16th highest suicide rate.

Last edited by Peripateticshutin; 01-22-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Happiness is found inside your smile :)
3,178 posts, read 13,826,854 times
Reputation: 1285
Easier said then done on getting out - when towing two kids around. Okay, the kids are easier to get out of the house than my husband...he's a homebody

Plus I tried the go on a winter vacation (which pisses me off, that I have to LEAVE to get sun)

And when we were flying back to Seattle, I was hystercial crying saying "I don't want to go back!"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Seattle-area, where the sun don't shine
576 posts, read 1,721,692 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
You've read the list backward -- South Dakota is ranked #1 as LOWEST depression rate.

Likewise, DC has the lowest and Alaska the highest suicide rates.

Example: look at Utah as ranked lowest for having the highest rate of depression:
Deseret News | Utah leads the nation in rates of depression

Alaska as ranked lowest because it has the highest suicide rate:
State's suicide rate eighth-highest - The Denver Post

Which means (out of 50 states + DC)
WA: 15th highest depression rate
WA: 16th highest suicide rate.
Actually 16th highest depression rate and 17th highest suicide rate. Still, that puts it in the top third of all states + DC in both depression and suicide rates, and allforcats still read the charts backwards. Oregon and Idaho place even higher when it comes to suicide rates, and obviously Alaska has the highest suicide rate.

Hawaii has the second lowest depression rate and California the 15th lowest. Also, the 9th and 11th lowest suicide rates, respectively. Hmm...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
SYS
 
339 posts, read 1,088,211 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I would treat SAD seriously. I had it when I lived in Vancouver, B.C. My wife gets it here in eastern Washington during the winter.

Here are my tips. If you live in western Washington get a house or apartment with lots of windows facing south. Make sure your work office is near a window.

Get a wood stove to keep you warm and dry. Some reason that heat just makes me feel better.

Get a small greenhouse to sit in during the winter. They are pretty cheap now.

Take winter vacations somewhere warm and sunny. Eastern Washington has great weather for 9 months of the year. We left for a month whenever we could in January. That took a bite out of SAD's.

We have a cabin up in the mountains that is a half-hour and 3,000 feet higher in elevation than our house. In the winter, many times it is clear while our house is in fog. I go there whenever, it is foggy here and clear up there.

Be aware where it is sunny in the state and go there if possible on weekends. In winter, there are some nice days by the ocean and up in the mountains. Eastern Washington is sunny and warm usually by March.

If you get a sunny day....sit in the sunshine for a couple of hours.

Take advantage of every sunny day.

I will not get into drugs and other therapies.

Good luck in dealing with SAD's. Oh, talk to your spouse about it. You need their support.
These are all good tips. Thanks! I'll keep these in mind once I move there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 03:25 PM
 
43 posts, read 147,591 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Actually 16th highest depression rate and 17th highest suicide rate. Still, that puts it in the top third of all states + DC in both depression and suicide rates, and allforcats still read the charts backwards. Oregon and Idaho place even higher when it comes to suicide rates, and obviously Alaska has the highest suicide rate.

Hawaii has the second lowest depression rate and California the 15th lowest. Also, the 9th and 11th lowest suicide rates, respectively. Hmm...
Yeah, okay, sloppy math, but we're on the same page.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Greater Seattle, WA Metro Area
1,938 posts, read 6,035,826 times
Reputation: 904
My husband had what we now realize was reverse SAD in Texas. He was miserable in the heat 5 months out of the year. Whole personality and perspective changed once the cooler temps of November hit each year. To each his own...just know your own limits and try to mitigate them as much as possible. I had a hard time here my first year because I was grieving what I left behind in terms of memories, friendship and support system. Now that this feels like home to me the weather is much more tolerable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top