U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,220,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
You've read the list backward -- South Dakota is ranked #1 as LOWEST depression rate.

Likewise, DC has the lowest and Alaska the highest suicide rates.

Example: look at Utah as ranked lowest for having the highest rate of depression:
Deseret News | Utah leads the nation in rates of depression

Alaska as ranked lowest because it has the highest suicide rate:
State's suicide rate eighth-highest - The Denver Post

Which means (out of 50 states + DC)
WA: 15th highest depression rate
WA: 16th highest suicide rate.
Now THAT makes more sense!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:39 PM

64 posts, read 234,935 times
The suicide rate in Washington (13.1 per 100K) is above the national average (11 per 100K), but not by much.

AFSP: Facts and Figures: State Statistics (http://tinyurl.com/buzv8m - broken link)

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM

64 posts, read 234,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
Likewise, DC has the lowest and Alaska the highest suicide rates.
If DC were the 51st state, they'd have the highest murder, robbery and aggravated assault rates by a uncomfortable margin.

Table 5 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_05.html - broken link)

Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM

10 posts, read 51,953 times
Just out of curiosity, I noticed just about everyone with S.A.D. was married... I plan on moving to Seattle, and buying a condo on Alki Beach sometime this year. I'm a single 25-year-old guy who currently lives in NYC, and I hate it here (namely the hustle and bustle, rat race culture... looking for a more laid back atmosphere). I work from home, so I'd have to put in some effort to meet people, but I don't think I'd have a problem making friends.

Are there any young, single, socially active people in Seattle who also have problems with S.A.D. as well?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,037,995 times
Well that's an interesting connection to make but I don't know that it is statistically supported. True SAD is caused by chemical imbalances and can lead to depression if not treated. People who are depressed for other reasons may often think it's SAD when it's not or that may only be part of it...so good to see your doctor either way right if you are feeling blue. From Wikipedia "According to the American Psychiatric Association, for a diagnosis to qualify as SAD, it must meet four criteria: depressive episodes at a particular time of the year; remissions or mania/hypomania also at a characteristic time of year; these patterns must have lasted two years with no nonseasonal major depressive episodes during that same period; and these seasonal depressive episodes outnumber other depressive episodes throughout the patient's lifetime". Also, don't assume because you live in Seattle you will have SAD. A severe form of it affects 6% of people (I have read almost 80% are women because of their hormones, etc.), a lesser form up to 14% of people - so you will very likely will not be one of those people that suffer right? But geographically it is more likely to afflict those in the northern latitudes most, of which Seattle is one of many places that fall in that category. So do your math...but I think it's worth taking a chance. Alki Beach is a lovely place to live (one of my 3 favorite places in all of Seattle in fact), you will make friends if you make the effort and I imagine when you check in a year from now you will be enjoying the beauty that abounds here and many things Seattle offers.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM

43 posts, read 147,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
If DC were the 51st state, they'd have the highest murder, robbery and aggravated assault rates by a uncomfortable margin.

Table 5 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_05.html - broken link)
Which would be very relevant if the topic were crime here -- however, it's suicide and depression.

I can only guess at the point you're trying to make but, if you read through the thread, aside from seeing a math faux pas on my part, you should be able to understand that I had just corrected allforcats since she had the inverted the ranking chart in her interpretation and that I wasn't trying to make a statement other than that.

Last edited by Peripateticshutin; 01-22-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,088,642 times
The Crime Department is to your left, and the Suicide & Depression to your right, and S.A.D. is straight ahead...

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM

263 posts, read 1,009,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Information from individual experiences is fascinating but not necessarily the same as researched information.

Mental Health America's report completed in November 2008 shows the 51 states including D.C. ranked by occurrences of depression and occurrences of suicide.

Suicide
The research shows that Washington state ranks #36 among the 51 states including D.C. in suicide rates. D.C. ranks highest in suicides; Alaska ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 31% of the country.

Depression
The research shows that Washington state ranks #35 among the 51 states including D.C. in rates of emotional depression. South Dakota ranks highest in depression; Utah ranks lowest. Washington's incidence, therefore, is in the lowest 32% of the country.

Source: Mental Health America: Ranking America's Mental Health: An Analysis of Depression Across the States

awesome!! kill those myths! kudos!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM

3,935 posts, read 4,821,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjon84 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I noticed just about everyone with S.A.D. was married... I plan on moving to Seattle, and buying a condo on Alki Beach sometime this year. I'm a single 25-year-old guy who currently lives in NYC, and I hate it here (namely the hustle and bustle, rat race culture... looking for a more laid back atmosphere). I work from home, so I'd have to put in some effort to meet people, but I don't think I'd have a problem making friends.

Are there any young, single, socially active people in Seattle who also have problems with S.A.D. as well?
I was young and single once.

SAD's is much worse when you are single. You fall into a funk and there is no one to drag you out of it.

Stay active. Get out and do things no matter how you feel. When your single and with SAD's it is easy to crawl into a hole and stay there.

Follow those tips. And I would add one more. Go swimming in an indoor pool. That really helped me.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM

576 posts, read 1,722,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec34 View Post
awesome!! kill those myths! kudos!
...except that for the umpteenth time, she read the charts backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area