Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,703 times

Advertisements

Hey whats up everyone? I was just wondering what is the Downtown Seattle area like? Basically I wanna live close to downtown where the music,shopping,jobs,and all the other cool stuff is at. I'm leaving for the west coast from Cleveland,OH in about 2 or 3 weeks and need to know what areas around downtown Seattle offer the best options. I'm also looking for a nice rooming option where I can rent a room for relatively cheap yet not in a bad neighborhood. say around 350-450 a month. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM

228 posts, read 685,637 times
Default Leaving the midwest

Hey there,

As a fellow Clevelander who is also moving to Seattle (in about a year), I think you're going to be in for quite a shock as far as the cost of living goes out there. You might be able to find a roommate situation where you could get by on $400 per month rent.

Maybe Ira could jump in point you in the right direction?

Joe

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM

807 posts, read 2,253,660 times
I live in downtown and pay $770 for a one bedroom and that is CHEAP.

For the really cheap deals downtown its more luck and word-of-mouth to get a decent place for under $850.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,997 times
It sounds to me like downtown might not be the best area for you. Along with being overpriced, it's not really the hub of young people as much as the U District/ Wallingford/ Fremont areas just north of dt. There's plenty to do up there, LOTS more young people, much cheaper rent (should be able to find a room for rent under $500), and it's only a 10 minute bus ride.
downtown. Check it out, I think you'd be much happier there than dt.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM

38 posts, read 168,125 times
I totally agree w/ skistar. Downtown is not that happening of a place- Wallingford/Fremont is much better. I don't know if it's still true but when I was in college, Capitol Hill was pretty cool too. $350-450 will probably not get you something safe in Downtown anyway...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM

252 posts, read 958,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.k.i.s View Post
Hey whats up everyone? I was just wondering what is the Downtown Seattle area like? Basically I wanna live close to downtown where the music,shopping,jobs,and all the other cool stuff is at. I'm leaving for the west coast from Cleveland,OH in about 2 or 3 weeks and need to know what areas around downtown Seattle offer the best options. I'm also looking for a nice rooming option where I can rent a room for relatively cheap yet not in a bad neighborhood. say around 350-450 a month. Thanks
At 350-450 / month, you will have to have a roommate to live in central Seattle. If you want to live alone, the International District (a.k.a. Chinatown) might be a good place to look, as the rents are quite a bit cheaper there. It's somewhat sketchy, with a lot of drug dealing and homeless people, but it's not terribly dangerous and it is centrally located. It's also very close to downtown, Capitol Hill, etc. I lived there short term this summer in a tiny studio for a bit over $500 / month.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,808 times
Thumbs up Cheap and Rent don't go together in Seattle

If you can, make sure you live in down town. The experience is unlike any other city. Where as all cities seem to have one thing that makes them more distinct than the rest, Seattle is probably near the top of the list. All the things you mentioned can be found there, true, but also there is an endless history in downtown seattle. It is obscured (thankfully) from the rest of the country and only those who are from or need to move there typically end up as a citizen and not just a tourist.
Seattle has its own unique way of life where no matter how you dress or act; you're not going to draw attention cuz everyone there has already seen it. If you are a decent football player or baseball player for matter, you may want to try and better Seattle's sports scene! If hippie and funky lifestyle is what you seek also try Fremont! They have the craziest peeps, gays, hippies, drunks, bums, free-loaders, artists, trolls etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: