Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times

Advertisements

Hah! Great. Friend of mine worked at a company that went out of biz in October. He's been looking ever since and has been getting calls from recruiters for MS. First one was for a $65/hr position. Didn't work out, and he wasn't thrilled about a contract. Later he gets another random call for the exact same description, but this time, it's $45/hr. He tells her no, not interested. She keeps going. He says no, don't waste you're time, I'm not interested. She starts calling trying to connect for some on-the-spot qualification interview. He finally had to hang up on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
He might've wished he had taken a rate of $130K/yr without benefits. (Then again maybe not, I don't know what his skill is.) When I'm looking for work, I always take the best I can get, whatever that is. Contracting closely adheres to free market principles. In theory you can't be underpaid or overpaid.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
What if the best you can get is the most gut wrenchingly boring thing you can imagine? What if it doesn't advance your skill set at all? What if your coworkers are a bunch of jerks? There's benefits to jobs beyond the pay rate.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,334 times
He took a $52/hr contract-to-perm IN dallas the next week, so no need to relo, keep his house and GF, WITH benefits. Probably got the best end of that deal given that he really needs the health benefits.

And yes, benefits to job beyond pay rate. I'm very glad to work from home and with very flexible hours. Great thing is that it paid well too. Well, it did. Now it looks like our cash flow has cratered and we're not going to be paid on time. Yech. I'm not looking forward to looking for another job, especially in this town where professionally I don't know anybody, especially in this market. Oh, and a big mortgage on a house that immediately dropped 20% in value. OOPS! Guess I better get on that whole Dynamics thing now. And start looking for deals on dress pants and a pair of shoes, since I don't own much decent to go to an office in anymore. D****it. We're not gonna go broke on just hubby's income, but it'd be the end of daycare soon, and that would make me much-less-happy. :-) I sure miss the easy-money days, but at least we KNEW they were going to end and tried to plan for it best we could.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
What if the best you can get is the most gut wrenchingly boring thing you can imagine? What if it doesn't advance your skill set at all? What if your coworkers are a bunch of jerks? There's benefits to jobs beyond the pay rate.
Is IT work ever interesting? My warm fuzzies come from the boss's boss's smile, when his or her customers are happy. I advance my skill set on my own time mainly; pretty easy these days with internet searching and free tools. Languages are so similar now that it's mostly about honing other skills that apply almost regardless of the technical platform (e.g. planning, debugging, communicating issues, etc.). I get along great with jerks! That's one reason I get paid the big bucks. I can be as deferential as a puppy in training, yet still the project will be a success.

Last edited by Heiwos; 02-12-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
He took a $52/hr contract-to-perm IN dallas the next week, so no need to relo, keep his house and GF, WITH benefits. Probably got the best end of that deal given that he really needs the health benefits.
Good for him, esp. in Dallas, where I presume it's cheaper.

One thing I recommend to everyone is to get their own private health insurance, so you can retain it when getting laid off or switching jobs, and without fear of henceforth being uninsurable for a pre-existing condition. With a high deductible, it's pretty cheap in WA.

Quote:
I sure miss the easy-money days, but at least we KNEW they were going to end and tried to plan for it best we could.
Same here. I wish you good luck on the other side of the wave!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
Good for him, esp. in Dallas, where I presume it's cheaper.

One thing I recommend to everyone is to get their own private health insurance, so you can retain it when getting laid off or switching jobs, and without fear of henceforth being uninsurable for a pre-existing condition. With a high deductible, it's pretty cheap in WA.

Same here. I wish you good luck on the other side of the wave!
You must not have a wife and kids to insure. I can't wait to get off of private health insurance. Insuring 2 people on your own dime is prohibitively expensive.

My iPhone money is all going to the health insurance company.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Myself + child = $220/mo with $1750 deductible and $10K family maximum out-of-pocket. A lot less than the $700 one employer's plan wanted. What are you paying?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 PM

More than "free"

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Shoot, our COBRA was never less than $1250 a month for a family of four the 4 TIMES we had to use it in the early 2000's (hubby was in tech startups, one after the other after the other) but I was always scared to drop it due to the pre-existing disaster a friend of mine had happen to her when she had a gap in coverage and because we were in the having babies stage. What company do you use to insure with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area