Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
Not every place. These places all have weather that's extreme in one way. Extremely cold, extremely sunny, extremely cloudy. What about somewhere in New England?
Extremely cold in the winter, very hot in the summer, a lot of snow(winter), bad traffic and loads of people. Good if you like living in a "small town" that is between 3-4 major cities, bad if you like having miles and miles of wilderness at hand.

Everywhere you go has negatives. Nowhere is perfect and everybody is different. I grew up in Missouri with relatives in Boston, S.California and northern Wisconsin. Grew up traveling to all three of those places regularly. Wisconsin sucks in the winter, and they get pretty hot in the summer, though at least in Superior you have Lake Superior. S.California, well that speaks for itself. Boston, the New England comments above pertain to it (also NYC where my sister is living).

Missouri? Well I grew up here and it is beatiful. 4 full-ish seasons (sometimes fall and spring seem too short, and have winter and summer weather more than "spring weather". You talk smack about how "gloomy" it is in Seattle, but it gets cloudy here too in the winter. Add on top of the gray skies (and ALL gray- as far as the eye can see, not just parts of the sky being gray with sun in other parts), you have the snow, the biting wind chills, the stark brown everywhere. At least even when it is cloudy there it is green. Here is is brown. The color of death. Gray and brown and sometimes white.

Seriously, it is the whole "grass being greener on the other side" thing. It is funny how much you preach about how you hate Seattle, but so many people desire it. Nobody says "The Weather in Minneapolis is perfect, so I'm going to move there." Many people say "The weather in Seattle is wonderful, I'm going to move there".

Makes me realize you have an axe to grind, and makes me dismiss your opinions out of hand.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

576 posts, read 1,817,762 times
Cloudy here in the winter, but most of what is fall and spring in other places as well.

3 months of nearly constant clouds = okay. 9 months = not.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 PM

11 posts, read 28,021 times
What about New England? is kinda funny. VEEERRRRYYYY cold in the winter. I like Boston but there's no way I could stand those winters, and I like the cold.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I thought this weekend was great. Dry, partly sunny the first 2/3 with some cleansing rain on Sunday afternoon. Perfect for gardening, running, skiing... basically anything you want to do outside of sunbathing.

My wife would prefer that we had Southern California's climate yet still have lush greenery and none of the negatives of SoCal. I told her that such a utopia has yet to be discovered.
The Big Island of Hawaii!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM

474 posts, read 1,454,760 times
Default Small problem with Hawaii

You're on an island, totally isolated from the rest of the world.

You're looking for professional work but fiind that the economy is entirely service and tourist-based.

No question that the climate is unparalleled. But as I've always said - if you choose where to live based entirely on weather, you're ignoring some pretty important factors.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:51 AM

265 posts, read 1,073,383 times
Well I moved from upstate NY to Seattle area in part because of the weather! It was either blisteringly hot and muggy or below freezing cold! Spring and Fall lasted all of 3 weeks each, and then you'd get the temperature extremes. It was really crazy. Not to mention the Northeast for some reason HAS WAY MORE BUGS than the Northwest, and I HATE bugs! I also like evergreens better than the deciduos trees, so for me it was a no brainer. I love the Seattle weather, even though it seems last summer and winter were more extreme than normal?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,316 times
Seattle's weather is definitely not for everyone. It just goes to show that weather obviously isn't the only reason people have been moving there at a steady pace for the past 20 years. Just chiming in on the climate Saltydawg. Trust me, I wouldn't recommend moving to Hawaii unless you either have a lot of money or you are high up in the tourist/service industry. We are hurting out here right now.

I totally agree about moving somewhere just based on the weather. I would say most people who do move here from the mainland do so because of the "perfect weather". Not considering the horrible job market, huge meth problem, isolation, HIGH cost of living, salty locals... We had to move here 6 years ago because my girlfriends dad fell ill. Just counting the days till we move!

ANYWAY, I love Seattle and it's weather and hope to at the very least be able to visit again in 2009. Have never been in the summer but sounds pretty tolerable!!!!! What kind of bugs do you guys have up there? I'm from Massachusetts and remember the horseflys & mosquitoes in the summer. Pretty annoying to say the least. The subtropical weather out here brings out huge cockroaches and centipedes all year round! Also these spiders they call "cane spiders". Huge and fast but pose no threat! Not to mention mosquitoes who are out all day long and not just when the sun goes down.

Last edited by franklin42; 04-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: I'm a dummy

Old 04-13-2009, 06:11 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,717,905 times
40 degrees and raining . The tulips in Sagit refused to bloom for the tulip festival I hear, too cold and crappy and cloudy.

Where is spring???

Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,116,406 times
it was summer a week ago. It will be in the 70s in a few days

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM

339 posts, read 707,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
40 degrees and raining . The tulips in Sagit refused to bloom for the tulip festival I hear, too cold and crappy and cloudy.

Where is spring???
Didn't you read some of the posts a couple weeks ago when we had those couple nice days? Spring was here according to some. They must have been new here and didn't know that it was going to change back to this crap for another month or so...or so...or... Let's just hope we don't have Junuary again this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area