Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:18 PM

59 posts, read 649,449 times

Advertisements

New guy here,

I might be moving to the Seattle area soon from San Diego, CA. I'll be working on Vashon Island part time and the other times from home. I've seen and liked the Snowqualmie Ridge area and loved it. Also thinking of Gig Harbor. Need some feedback on those areas and others. I have two little ones so schools are also on the list.

Like to stay under 535,000 and have some land and a view

Sorry for the long list.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roman11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2006, 05:41 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,820 times
First, originally being from San Diego... I have to ask??? WHY??? As much as I love it here and moved up here 8+ months ago from the Palm Springs area, I would love to be back in San Diego!!! Unfortunately I can't quite afford Sunset Cliffs! I grew up in OB.

As for Snoqualmie Ridge... it is beautiful but a bit of a drive to Vashon and with the ferry schedule you have to be on time! I am guessing 45 minutes with no traffic and you know how bad the traffic is on the 805/215/5 etc... yeah like that up here only on a smaller scale. There is only the 90 going from that area heading west.

I don't know much about Gig but the fact that it has some great views of the water.

Are you leaning more towards the green tree mountany type of area or ocean?

Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Well, I'm originally from back east and I miss having seasons. You know, San Diego is really a desert and rarely is ever green, mostly dead brown scrub brush. I've been to Seattle a couple of times an really love it. Both times, by the way, while it's raining, image that. Also as you mentioned, It's real expensive to live in SD, gas prices, property taxes, and not to mention the Freeway traffic everyday, at all times, even Saturday and Sunday. Price to pay living in paradise I guess.

I wouldn't mind either view, Mountains or ocean. Do you have a suggestion?

Thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 02:57 AM

Pretty much anything east of Bellevue is Green. You can live in the middle of the suburbs and feel like you are out in the middle of a forest. And anything west of Bellevue is pretty much close to the water. I would watch out for HAVING to take the ferry because of schedules if you live on the islands.

Keep in mind that Lake Washington School District and Issaquah School district have the best reps around here. If you like the view of the cascades and like rural I would suggest snoqualmie or North Bend. The whole Eastside is nice but a bit pricy. If you like those beach type towns.. I love La Conner. Not lush but really nice. But also very touristy feeling.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:01 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions and will look into all of them.

So far before you named the other towns, Gig Harbor was beginning to head to the top of the list. Great views, prices and a lot of land. You can't find that much land here in San Diego. I just wasn't sure about the school district though.

Thanks again

Old 02-09-2006, 07:35 PM

well good luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 48,997 times
Im in San Diego too... i grew up in WA though. My family members used to work on Vashon Island too! At the K2 plant. We lived in Port Orchard and the commute was about an hour (ferry time included). One real nice area is Gig Harbor, but it can be expensive. I would say you are going to want to stay within not too far distance away from the Vashon ferry... I would guess no more than a 15min or so drive away from there. Use that as a point of reference because you dont want to have to commute an hour, then add on the ferry time on top of that!

Old 02-16-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeandgee
Im in San Diego too... i grew up in WA though. My family members used to work on Vashon Island too! At the K2 plant. We lived in Port Orchard and the commute was about an hour (ferry time included). One real nice area is Gig Harbor, but it can be expensive. I would say you are going to want to stay within not too far distance away from the Vashon ferry... I would guess no more than a 15min or so drive away from there. Use that as a point of reference because you dont want to have to commute an hour, then add on the ferry time on top of that!
From what I've seen, Gig harbor has some real nice houses and not so bad prices...with land. Since your in San Diego now, you know what type of lots we have here. How far is the ferry, I guess from Southworth? Is Gig harbor pretty far from that ferry?

Can you recommend a nice town with a good school around the ferry's

Thanks,

Old 02-16-2006, 12:37 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
I am from the area and can answer any questions.

The Gig Harbor area is real nice. Plenty of water, views, mountain views, etc. It also has a pleasent downtown area. The schools are also good too. The Peninsula School District serves the Gig Harbor area and the Key Peninsula. The Gig Harbor and Fox Island areas are served by Gig Harbor High School, which has a great reputation academically and athletically while the more rural Key Peninsula and Purdy area are served by Peninsula High School.

The drive to Southworth isn't bad depending on where in Gig Harbor you live. There is also a ferry to Vashon Island from Tacoma, that may be useful in the new Narrows Bridge span and toll ease traffic congestion. Here is a view of the Tacoma-Vashon ferry from a 3 bedroom split entry home in Gig Harbor currently on the market for $424,000:

http://locator.nwmls.com/nwmls_photos/bigphoto/948/26005948_12.jpg (broken link)

The entire area north of the Pierce-Kitsap County line up to Port Orchard, including Olalla and Southworth is in the South Kitsap School District, served by the state's largest or 2nd largest high school (Marysville-Pilchuck H.S. may be larger). There is a lot of community pride in the area towards the high school hence the resistance to build a new one. A former collegue of mine is raising his family in the Olalla area and was willing to commute 45 minutes each way just to do so. There are also plenty of lakes and golf courses in the area too.

Here is the view from a 4 bedroom home in the Southworth area currently on the market for $425,000, you can see the northern tip of Vashon Island and West Seattle:

http://locator.nwmls.com/nwmls_photos/bigphoto/062/25123062_06.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-16-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks Andy,

That's about the best news so far. I've been on the internet checking out Gig Harbor's housing market and there is a lot there I just like. Homes, home prices, amount of land around the houses, views and schools. Just wasn't sure if it was all true. Were going to need to make a few major decisions soon and all of the replys so fare are helping me out.

Thanks to all that have replied so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area