Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 PM

162 posts, read 513,825 times

Advertisements

According to Seattle Climate Data, from 1999-2008 Seattle averages 187 sunny/partly cloudy days a year. That isn't much compared to cities like Dallas or Phoenix, but from everything read here, I was expecting that it would average something more like 120 days. That means it is sunny about 50% of the time, and some years had even over 200 days of sunny/partly cloudy days. I guess I am a bit confused that people say it is gloomy all the time. If it is gloomy "much of the time" then according to statistics, it is sunny "much of the time" as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
While Seattle may have sunny/partly cloudy days for 187 days per year, many of those days will have barely any sun, and will feel damp and cool. It's rarely extremely cold in Seattle, and we do have some spectacular sunny days, but there are an awful lot of days that are " mostly gloomy."

Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,708,985 times
when they say partly - they are REALLY PARTLY...just one little sun break and it will be called partly cloudy - I seriously doubt we see sun 50% of the time - I would say 25% is closer

Old 02-17-2009, 02:13 PM

854 posts, read 4,143,202 times
I dunno. I moved here in January 2008 and I've found it to be certainly less "gloomy" than expected. It helps that I work from home and have big windows, so I'm not in an office during the short-daylight-hour days.

I think the past couple of weeks have just been stunning. I've been out walking on neighborhood trails with my son in the late afternoon, and that golden light against the tall green trees with the dark blue (either of sky or low clouds in the east) has been absolutely spectacular. I am thankful every time I see that to live here and not in Dallas, where I could enjoy a nice walk like that maybe 20 days of the year. (After living there 8 years, I figured that for weekends, you might, MIGHT, get 2 nice ones in the fall and 2 in the spring. If you weren't completely messed up with allergies, you might enjoy those. Otherwise, too cold or too hot).

There are days here like this past Sunday, which started out cloudless and ended up mizzle-y. That doesn't bother me in the least, though. I had half a day of pure sunshine and half a day of rain... we broke even! The daffodils and crocuses are popping up everywhere and it's been an incredible run the last few weeks. I am so in love with this place.

I remember by last June it was getting a little old. The clouds were more steady in the early summer months (something about cold air over the ocean hitting the warming-up landmass). The clouds would often break late in the day, so I'd wear my sweatshirt and get into the hammock to read (at 8:30 pm) and enjoy the late afternoon light. Take what I can get. But then it was soon out-and-out summer. And you just canNOT beat the summer.

Blah, it'll be an argument thread anyway. I'm just happy to hit this one early so I can get my vote in as Yes, There Are Many Days With Lots Of Sunlight, and it's beautiful here!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM

There are so many exaggerations with the weather in the northwest I find. Partly Cloudy is more so 25% of the sky covered by clouds with the sun being very visible. If it were as Citygirl sais, then the day would be classified as mostly cloudy. I understand people don't like the weather in Seattle and some may even be miserable there, but try to be honest, despite how unhappy you are. Furthermore, I was in Seattle last February during the latter part of the month and I specifically remember it being partly cloudy the majority of the time I was there, and the sky was not dominated by clouds but rather by sun and Seattle climate data confirms that it was indeed like this.

I don't argue that there are many gloomy days, I have lived in Seattle before when I was younger, but I find so many people to take "the glass is half empty" perspective and totally ignore that Seattle does indeed get some beautiful sunny days all throughout the year, and on the partly cloudy days, the sky is not covered 95% by clouds.

Jenlion, I know you dont like Dallas, and nor do I, but I think your post is an example of how disliking a place can cause one to exaggerate. I despise Dallas, having been here 10 years, but it is not right to say you can only enjoy a nice walk 20 days a year. I walk every day and enjoy quite a few nice walks from about October until May. There are cold days during this stretch, but alot of beautiful ones as well, just no beautiful scenery :-)

I will be in the northwest in 10 days permanently and am ready for the gloom AS WELL as the sunshine.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Neal - good point - I've always said everyone's opinions are skewed to their own likes

I lived in a very hot climate like Jenlion once (Sacramento, not as dry and hot as Dallas but close) - and I was out every day no matter how hot it was...but here TO ME it feels like only 20 days a year I go out in Seattle and the people who enjoy this weather think I'm crazy. But no one is actually crazy - it's just what a person likes or dislikes

On another post, we discussed home themostats and I said mine was 75 degrees - there was a person who gets "too warm" (paraphrasing) at 70 degrees...they think my house is warm, I think my house is STILL chilly.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Citygirl, you remind me of myself living in Dallas. I am the complete opposite, I despise the hot weather. The summer in Dallas, which you say is similar to Sacramento, drains the life out of me, as does the lack of scenery.

However, with that being said, I am moving away to a place and climate that suits my needs better. Have you as well thought about doing this? No need being miserable, life really is too short for that.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM

It's interesting - when I lived in Sacramento, I didn't love summer - I wasn't a sunshine girl...I loved the cool fall and brisk air and wearing sweaters...I camped and hiked and was outside on my bike all the time!

But I came to Seattle and it all stopped. Everyone told me I would LOVE Seattle, that it seemed so me! I was one of those people who used to say "I love the rain!" But something happened, and I just could not get used to it.

Now because I dislike the endless cold and drizzle people think I love it hot, which is far from the truth. I loved it when it snowed! I love it when it turns to fall! What I dislike is the inconsistant weather - and non-existant spring.

So yes I'm moving (check out my status) - it's just harder moving back, when you now have a husband, some kids and a mother in law in tow. I am looking forward to spring again.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,780,497 times
Inconsistent? Really? I feel like there's absolutely no need to check the weather forecast here. Every day here is about 45-50 degrees and party cloudy with a chance of drizzle. I've unbookmarked weather.com. Maybe I'll check it again in June.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM

576 posts, read 1,819,421 times
Last I read, we have 226 cloudy (>80% cloud cover) days a year. That means 139 sunny or partly cloudy a year. I don't see where you're getting 187 from.

A parly cloudy day can be anywhere from 3/10th to 7/10th cloud cover. I bet most of our "partly cloudy" days are leaning closer to the 7/10ths.

edit: Also, 58 sunny days a year, so 58, 81, 226 sunny/pcloudy/cloudy days a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area