Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 49,700 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

I am heading to the dealer to buy a new car...mine finally called it quits. I need to know...Do I buy AWD, FWD, 4x4? We plan on living outside the city in Sno or Kitsap Counties. My husband already there and has a family car that did not make it an inch with chains.

Did anyone make it out and about in the major December 2008 storm? And if so, what were you driving?

We have both lived in the snow before however it was on salted road conditions. I feel that we need at least one car that can get out in case of an emergency.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
Default AWD vs 4x4

I've lived in Snoqualmie for the last 9 years and the last 3 have been surprisingly snowy. I grew up in Minnesota so driving in the snow doesn't scare me, but the fact that they don't use salt does require more caution out here. We've had a CR-V that is AWD the entire time we have been here and this year I traded my 12 year old civic for a subaru outback for the exact reasons you are considering AWD. IMO, 4X4 is a bigger hassle because you have to generally know ahead of time that you need the 4x4 - meaning you have to pull over and shift into 4x4. For me, the all time AWD is perfect. The wheels adjust when they sense any type of slipping from, rain, snow, sand, whatever. In my eyes, it's better than 4x4 because the AWD system does all the thinking for me. Of course, if you want to get out in a couple feet of mud, etc where you need real traction, then you want the 4x4, but that doesn't sound like what you want.

Note: my mom has a Rav 4 and while she loves it, it doesn't have all time AWD - she has to pull over and shift to 4x4 in the snow. Might not be the case for all of them, but just be sure to ask.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 AM

506 posts, read 2,574,540 times
I drove and we own a couple of Audis so no problems in the snow. If you live further out maybe get something that rides higher with AWD or 4WD in case you have to drive over as well as through the snow. Too bad you only really need it for 2-4 weeks out of the year typically.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:22 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,040 times
I was driving in that storm in the Issaquah Highlands. We had chains on my Toyota Sienna. If we decide to stay in WA, we'll buy a 4WD car.

V. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area