Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:30 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times

Advertisements

Bro, you've lived in a low income area for a short period of time in a generally shi**y economic period, and you are using your experiences to paint an entire metro area of almost 4 mil. Sumner ain't Western Washington, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself. I am concerned about your basic critical reasoning skills.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
I actually agree with the OP - for being a so-called progressive, modern city with a high percentage of college graduates, the incompetence I've witnessed there is every bit as bad as I had seen in backwards South Texas. But Seattle takes the stupidity to a whole new level with its ultra-green growth restrictions which have essentially made it impossible for working, middle class folks to now own homes in this city.

"An intriguing new analysis by a University of Washington economics professor argues that home prices have, perhaps inadvertently, been driven up $200,000 by good intentions.

Between 1989 and 2006, the median inflation-adjusted price of a Seattle house rose from $221,000 to $447,800. Fully $200,000 of that increase was the result of land-use regulations, says Theo Eicher — twice the financial impact that regulation has had on other major U.S. cities.

"In a nationwide study, it can be shown that Seattle is one of the most regulated cities and a city whose housing prices are profoundly influenced by regulations," he says..."

Source: Real Estate | UW study: Rules add $200,000 to Seattle house price | Seattle Times Newspaper

As if the traffic, weather, and pretentiousness of its people weren't bad enough, now nobody can afford to live there...

And no, I don't live in Seattle. I'm quite happy in Bellingham, thank you, and have no regrets turning down promotions in Seattle.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM

125 posts, read 351,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Bro, you've lived in a low income area for a short period of time in a generally shi**y economic period, and you are using your experiences to paint an entire metro area of almost 4 mil. Sumner ain't Western Washington, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself. I am concerned about your basic critical reasoning skills.
Thanks for your concern, but my reasoning skills are just fine. During my time here, I got to know people that live all over the metro area, and worked in Seattle (and went there for other occasions besides work). Found out that, yes, there are some differences between geographic areas here, but there are also a lot of similarities (a bit more competence and clues up north, but still a bit "off", for example). And you assume that I'm extrapolating Sumner (9000 pop.) to Puget Sound - nope, didn't happen, you folks here assume a lot. Might want to hone those critical reasoning skills of your own.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,124 times
I find this whole thread affensive as an American. I currentlly am employed, but even If I do lose my job I'm not going to think that I'm Owed a check by anyone for doing nothing. Hell I spend $25/WEEK on liquor alone

If you're unemployed what are you doing buying CD's anyways?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I find this whole thread affensive as an American. I currentlly am employed, but even If I do lose my job I'm not going to think that I'm Owed a check by anyone for doing nothing. Hell I spend $25/WEEK on liquor alone

Good god, people, it's not about the fact that I'm owed anything (although it is the gov't that pretty much screwed (or helped screw) the pooch, so it is indirectly caused by them), but the fact that WA can't get the $25/week promised by the President into the unemployed's hands for another 2 months, while other states are doing it now.

And whatever gave you the impression that I bought CDs while I was unemployed? There you go, assuming again....

Old 03-07-2009, 09:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
I assume that you know better than to whine to the internet about your problems and expecting sympathy. Oh my bad, assuming things.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Realize that all this stimulus money Obama is promising it'll take 8 mo - 1 year to get into anybody's hands. My mother works for NASA and she told me that, and she knows because her department will get several million. Things don't happen instantaneously, you're really arrogant sounding.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Mrs. Traveller here,

I can verify my husband was employed when he bought the CD, and he very nicely pointed out the mistake to the clerk and asked that it be fixed.

As for the employment, I am sure that if you lost your job and were eligible for it, you would take it, too.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
I find this whole thread affensive as an American. I currentlly am employed, but even If I do lose my job I'm not going to think that I'm Owed a check by anyone for doing nothing.
It's not for doing nothing. It's an insurance payout, from insurance paid for by premiums withdrawn automatically & involuntarily from one's paycheck. If someone rear-ends your car, you're going to want a check from your insurance company right? It's also in the public's best interest that people take unemployment rather than default on their bills.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
It's also in the public's best interest that people take unemployment rather than default on their bills.
in the public's best interest, eh... I'll enjoy Watching Washington become the next California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area