Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,138 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving from HI to WA in June. I live on the island of Kauai and am most nervous about leaving the outdoors and beautiful ocean. I think the transition would be easier if I could find a neighborhood and apartment/condo rental near water, parks or running trails. I love trail running, hiking, Stand-Up paddling, surfing (which I know I will have to now travel to) and pretty much anything outdoors. Any suggestions for neighborhoods in and around Seattle for lovers of the outdoors?
Aloha,
Suzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Trail running and hiking abound here in many areas of town. We live in Sammamish within 10 minutes of great local trail running in Issaquah and further down I-90 East within a half hour you can find amazing trail running from Exit 20 on. I imagine Seattle has plenty of great trails too as the public parks here are many. They have a lot of trail races out here as well and various clubs you can join. Lots of triathlons too and plenty of tri clubs you can join. Take your pick. Obviously surfing will not be easy to do but flights to CA are cheap for the most part. PNW'ers in general are lovers of the outdoors and there are too many neighborhoods/areas to list until you can narrow down more demographics...part of town you will be working in, whether or not schools are important to you eventually, are you renting or buying, what is your price range, etc. Personally if I were young with no kids, I love West Seattle and the Alki Beach area as well as Magnolia, Greenlake and some communities near UW. But I am married with 2 kids so it is the surburban life for me. That being said, I live a half block from a gorgeous little lake that I canoe on all the time. It is surrounded by gigantic pine trees with a view of the Cascades and it is...heaven!!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Another question...have you ever been here before? I only ask that because it would be apparent if you had that the hiking and trail running are exceptional. You should visit before you move for sure if you have that option. If you can do that, DM me and I will suggest some terrific local hikes or hikes within 30 minutes of downtown Seattle to give you some flavor. I have been to Kauai before and it is lovely. Seattle is obviously very different weather wise but there is enough to do here that you will not be bored. Let me know if I can give you some tri club or running club recommendations. I teach Spin locally and am a triathlete (recreational only!) but I have friends/co-workers who have done the Kona Ironman so I could plug you into them.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM

21 posts, read 58,897 times
Maybe Magnolia, Eastlake/Madison Park, or Alki. Discovery park in Magnolia is great for trails on the beach . Madison park is a nice area that is close to UW and is right on the water with Japanese gardens in between. Alki is great for the long paved route. Most of seattle is close to bodies of water. But I would maybe focus on kayaking, wind/kite surfing, and biking. Ballard is good too. And try the Burke Gilman Trail when you want to take a looooong run or ride.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I live in the Seward Park area (south Seattle) ... great running, biking, kayaking and open water swim options (in warmer months). You run around the park or on the park trails. The road along Lake Washington is closed to cars every Sunday. The neighborhood roads are part of the course for the Danskin and Seattle triathlons and Seattle Marathon.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Just did a really great road ride in Snoqualmie Valley today. Tons of good cycling up here!!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
A "neighborhood and apartment/condo rental near water, parks or running trails"? Might be easier to ask which neighborhoods don't meet that criteria. Best to give us a more specifics about what you're looking for. Foremost, do you have kids, because lots of us limit our choices based on that. Next would be your job situation, as a lake divides the area and it can be tough to commute across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area