Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 PM

204 posts, read 812,265 times

Advertisements

Hi. A home that I looked at a couple of years ago, a beautiful custom home on acreage (unincorporated king county), is on the market as a bank-owned foreclosure. The bank that owns it will sell it eventually to get it off their books.

There is nothing wrong with the house, and it's a really nice relatively small modest well-built efficient home. Just what I like.

The problem is that the owner built a large shop without a permit. There is a lingering case about this with DDES. I'd like to buy this house, it's an upgrade for me, the price is good. I especially like the shop.

Question: does DDES waive the penalties for someone who purchases a home that has a building permit problem? I heard that all penalties are waived.

Question: is DDES any "nicer" now that the previous owner, the guy who got caught building a garage without a permit, is gone? I have inspected the building, and I will do more research, but the previous owner ran a large construction company himself. I have every reason to believe the garage will eventually pass inspection. It may take a lot of time and effort dealing with this bureaucracy, which is as you may know a universally unpopular agency with a terrible reputation. Perhaps now that Ron Simms is gone, and the agency is suffering due to lack of building activity permit $$, they will be a bit nicer.

Would you touch something like this? It is priced such that the deal looks good even without the garage.

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,041,046 times
You should not rely on an internet board to answer this kind of question. It would be wise to either consult a lawyer or read the county and city codes yourself and try to make sense of them.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM

204 posts, read 812,265 times
I just found this forum, I was seeking out a local forum discussing local policy. I use forums for all kinds of advice. It seems this particular forum, however, is focused on things like the weather and history of the region. I thought there might be more advice in terms of builders who participate. Thanks for reminding me that I should rely on lawyers though.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,041,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post
I just found this forum, I was seeking out a local forum discussing local policy. I use forums for all kinds of advice. It seems this particular forum, however, is focused on things like the weather and history of the region. I thought there might be more advice in terms of builders who participate. Thanks for reminding me that I should rely on lawyers though.
Well, if a lawyer gives you the wrong information, you have a potential malpractice claim against him or her for your loss based on that advice, whereas if some yahoo here gives you bad advice, and you rely on it to your detriment you have no recourse.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,495,557 times
Figure what it's worth to you without the shop and offer accordingly.

It really is any one's guess.

I've bought property with permit issues and the Building Department couldn't have been nicer in getting me permitted. It started out adversarial and then I pointed out that I am the new owner and want to do things right...

A friend bought a property where someone built on designated Wet Land and the improvement had to come down and the land restored...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area