Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM

151 posts, read 525,689 times

Advertisements

Awhile ago I posted a thread about my initial impressions of Seattle, and got a lot of flack about my (perceived) feeling that there was a really strong sexual undercurrent in Seattle; strong, at least, for a city of about 500,000 people.

People weren't rude or anything, they just said I was wrong, and I thought maybe I was. But I was reading the Seattle Times today...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yamory09m.html

Quote:
While there's no way to quantify that, experts agree. "Seattle is a hotbed of polyamory," said Dr. Kenneth Haslam ... at the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction at Indiana University.

A few months ago I took a really great walking tour of underground Seattle. It was touristy but funny as hell. It turns out Seattle has a pretty kinky history. In its early days, prostitutes in downtown Seattle were tolerated and taxed as "seamstresses." That income made up the vast majority of the city's tax revenue and helped stabilize the settlement's finances. Furthermore, the Magnolia neighborhood was one of the last national holdouts of the key party.

Pretty hot... Why are some folks so grumpy in Seattle if they're getting so much loving?

Last edited by Hamza; 03-09-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:05 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
You called it! But I never met a polyamourous family the entire time I lived there. Of course, maybe I was running with the wrong crowd. Although, years ago I propositioned by a coworker to be in a three-way with her and her husband. It really freaked me out though, maybe that's why I didn't fit in Seattle

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
yeah, that was an interesting article to read this morning. Hate to tell you folks...but this happens everywhere. And you will not be immune from it in Austin Jennibc!! Have had a few friends propositioned for that in Austin as well...and there apparently are quite a few clubs in North Austin that cater to it. So people are people wherever you go...

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
yeah, that was an interesting article to read this morning. Hate to tell you folks...but this happens everywhere. And you will not be immune from it in Austin Jennibc!! Have had a few friends propositioned for that in Austin as well...and there apparently are quite a few clubs in North Austin that cater to it. So people are people wherever you go...
We have a friend that lives up in Steiner Ranch and she already told me about the active swinger scene there. I am not terribly worried.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Ya never know what happens in good ole CCR! hee hee hee

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Got an address?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Isn't Steiner Ranch a generic master planned fake community? I guess all that conformity makes people horny!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Isn't Steiner Ranch a generic master planned fake community? I guess all that conformity makes people horny!
It's master planned- I don't know why you would call it fake. It's not particularly generic either. When we lived down in Austin last time we lived in Circle C (master planned) and some of our friends from Seattle came to visit. They were blown away by how good the neighborhood looked compared to the master planned communities on Seattle's east side. Up there all of the houses look the same. Down here the requirements are that when built the houses cannot have the same front style (cannot think of the term that is used, maybe elevation) or same brick as any of the houses on either side, across the street, kitty corner etc. Consequently, the houses all look different from one another.

Anyway, don't know what the deal is with Steiner - my friend thinks it's all the Southern Californians that have moved in, but I have no idea.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:23 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Requirements for a fake community: Single developer created the roads, infrastructure and homes; Cheesy name complete with signs at all exit/entrance points; HOA's dictate what you can/can't do to your property; Everything is inorganic and carries an air of newness. Typically a forest is clear cut to make way for said development.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Requirements for a fake community: Single developer created the roads, infrastructure and homes; Cheesy name complete with signs at all exit/entrance points; HOA's dictate what you can/can't do to your property; Everything is inorganic and carries an air of newness.
Well, you might want to take a good look at Seattle real estate then. Most of the North Seattle has big sections where single developers created the roads and infrastructure in areas that were developed in the forties and later. As far as homes go, in Steiner there are numerous builders out there so the homes are not all developed by one developer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area