Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,588,397 times

Advertisements

It's been said before, but people with an axe to grind are more likely to sign up on CD and rant about how miserable they are, rather than people who are neutral or enjoy it here. It seems worse in the winters when the weather is dark and gray. Also, the collective persona of the Seattle area is not very bragadocious, so people aren't very likely to create an account to proclaim to the world how great we are, like you see on the Texas forum.

Last edited by toughguy; 03-13-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:51 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,044,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It's been said before, but people with an axe to grind are more likely to sign up on CD and rant about how miserable they are, rather than people who are neutral or enjoy it here. It seems worse in the winters when the weather is dark and gray. Also, the collective persona of the Seattle area is not very bragadocious, so people aren't very likely to create an account to proclaim to the world how great we are, like you see on the Texas forum.
I wouldn't call it "bragadocious" I'd call it enthusiastic. I guess it's just cultural difference.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,524,382 times
If you have never lived in Texas, you see it as "bragadocious" but once you live there, you realize it's really about a strong sense of pride in community. I have never seen anything like Texas pride and will forever treasure my Texas experience. That being said, happy to be experiencing Washington. Definitely a different place than Texas for sure!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 28,968 times
I'm glad this forum was started!

I'm living in the Midwest right now, but would LOVE to move to Seattle in a couple of years. I was beginning to think, from such negative posts about Seattle, that maybe I should consider another city. I'm really questioning whether or not it would be a good move now because of all the things I've read on City Data

It sucks to hear the dating scene is terrible, and how I'm never going to make any friends, ya know.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,636,401 times
My theory is some are negative because they are so passionate about their city. You see, they actually love the city so much that they become very frustrated about things that prevent it from being even better. It's almost like your kids. You love them so much and care about them so much you become intently concerned about making sure everything goes exactly right. This is common when people feel strongly about their city as well. Seattle isn't perfect, but many would like it to be.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,897,551 times
Skinkara- Though I'm one of the transplants who doesn't like the culture here (don't jump down my throat, folks, I'm moving back east), I have to say there are also many positive things about Seattle, including the most beautiful summer weather I've ever seen (cool, sunny, and clear) and its proximity to mountains, lakes, the shoreline, and places to hike, camp, bicycle, etc.

If you can swing a visit out here (perhaps during the gray rainy season to get a sense of how you'll adapt to the climate change), I would strongly recommend doing so. Whether people like or dislike the PNW culture seems to me to be very subjective, so I would hate to think that people considering a move to Seattle would rule it out based on negative feedback on this forum.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,146,490 times
How about just reading the posts of the people don't like it instead of creating a thread about it?

GEEZ, talk about LLAAZZYY

Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM

125 posts, read 351,079 times
I have overheard several people from the Puget Sound area talk about relocating to Arizona, and I know people here who plan to retire in AZ. Usually this talk goes on during the rainy seasons.

I think the places people love and hate depend on circumstances, good and bad. If things go badly for you in a certain city (can't find a job, can't find dates, can't make friends, bad place to live), you are not going to like it. On the other hand, if I could find a job here (any kind of job) and a decent place to live with a reasonable commute, I would probably like it. But none of that has happened, so for me Seattle is an indifferent and unwelcoming place. Other people obviously have had more positive experiences. Thankfully, I have better memories of other cities.

Mrs. Traveller

Last edited by TheTravellers; 03-13-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,588,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
If you have never lived in Texas, you see it as "bragadocious" but once you live there, you realize it's really about a strong sense of pride in community. I have never seen anything like Texas pride and will forever treasure my Texas experience. That being said, happy to be experiencing Washington. Definitely a different place than Texas for sure!
I didn't really intend it as an insulting term....Texans are known for being very proud of their state, some would say a little too proud. That being said, I sometimes wish some of the people here in the Seattle area took that much pride in our state.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

125 posts, read 351,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I didn't really intend it as an insulting term....Texans are known for being very proud of their state, some would say a little too proud. That being said, I sometimes wish some of the people here in the Seattle area took that much pride in our state.

Don't mess with Texas!

Mrs. Traveller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area