Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times

Advertisements

Thats exactly what they sound like =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
Don't mess with Texas!

Mrs. Traveller
Or my personal favorite "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." Apparently, Davy Crockett said that....of course, a short while later he was massacred at the Alamo.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,981 times
Back on the "Washingtonians talk about moving to Arizona" topic, there are a lot of you here in Phoenix right now (I've seen a lot more Washington and Oregon plates on the freeway than usual) but I reckon that'll dry up in a few weeks when the temperature starts creeping toward 100 degrees.

Conversely, there seems to be a lot of people who move to Seattle from Arizona and vice versa.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Yeah It seems like I see more AZ plates than I do California nowadays.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM

172 posts, read 1,063,449 times
Default Seattle Native

To a certain extent, you get from a place what you bring to it...don't listen to the negativity. I'm a native who appreciates my hometown and I happen to love meeting people from other places and showing them around! My wonderful boyfriend (from Chicago) and I met here and we've been happily in love for years now--so disregard the silliness about the dating scene. Also, I have never had trouble making friends nor have I met anyone who has--it seems the Seattle haters only express themselves on these boards. Ugh, they are like uppity customers who will never be satisfied.

Try visiting and see what you think!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 65,839 times
My parents are from Texas. They moved out here in 2003. They have found Seattle to be the most beautiful and accommodating city they have ever lived in. As others have said, online forums always tend toward the negative for the simple reason that people are much more vocal about complaints than happiness. Barring objective facts like weather and traffic, almost all the negatives I read on this board seem to be extremely anecdotal, isolated, and very subjective.

Interestingly, my parents moved to Tucson, AZ in early 2008 on a job offer. They're now dying to get back to the NW after a year there. You don't know what you're missing in Seattle until you're gone! This is one of the best places to live in the USA, in my humble opinion, and I've lived on both coasts, the south, and the midwest. (I do mean Seattle proper, by the way.)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM

125 posts, read 351,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
To a certain extent, you get from a place what you bring to it...don't listen to the negativity. I'm a native who appreciates my hometown and I happen to love meeting people from other places and showing them around! My wonderful boyfriend (from Chicago) and I met here and we've been happily in love for years now--so disregard the silliness about the dating scene. Also, I have never had trouble making friends nor have I met anyone who has--it seems the Seattle haters only express themselves on these boards. Ugh, they are like uppity customers who will never be satisfied.

Try visiting and see what you think!

Good points, JupiterFire, but these boards don't exist to offer solely positive opinions about Seattle, but a healthy range of them.

Mrs. Traveller

Old 03-14-2009, 12:58 AM

162 posts, read 513,470 times
What do Texans have to be proud of? The majority of the state is flat, brown, no scenery, the major cities outside of Austin have no character. Add to that 5 months of unbearably hot weather and I question why they would even have pride in the first place? Is it because it is big and they wear cowboy hats? I am sorry, but I lived a decade in Texas and found very few reasons to be proud during that time. If anything people in Washington state should have this mentality, their state is the one with the beauty and character, not Texas.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:01 AM

184 posts, read 551,813 times
I moved to Seattle from Texas and I can say that before I did these forums had me worried as well.

My fears went away the first day in Seattle...honestly. I have never been happier in my life. Seattle is an amazing city and light years ahead of any place I have ever lived.

I know how negative this forum is. But really, as somebody mentioned it used to be worse....SOOOOO Much worse. The Jenbar days as I call them. Some of you old timers here on CD know what/who I am talking about. These days I am actually suprised to see "so many" positive posts around here.

This point was touched on and it is a good one: People in Seattle are known for not boasting and thumping their chests to show off their accomplishments. This leads to very low levels of pretentiousness in Seattle....which is a 180 degree turn from a place like Dallas, for example.

Take a stroll over to the Dallas forum to see what I mean. FYI: The city of Dallas is also infamously known for being one of the, if not the most pretentious and superficial cities in the nation. Of course the natives with bloated pride over on the Dallas forum would attack that statement like rabid pumas.

Its a difference in culture. Residents of Seattle who are happy here, and that is in the ballpark of 80 to 90 % of residents don't sign up on message boards like these to boast about it. Furthermore, many Seattle residents actually like to keep the city a secret...afraid that if the "secret" gets out we will become another over populated, smog covered Los Angelas.

Honestly, since living here for nearly two years I am beginning to take on the "lets keep this city a secret" feeling. But my advice: come visit the city for yourself. This forum is entertainment at best. Be on the lookout for threads started by Pwright as well...he takes some of the best pictures of Seattle, or any city I have ever seen.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Than tell those people to get off line and turn their computer off and try making friends and meeting people. Trust me, compared to Jersey, Seattle would be paradise (I move there from Jersey this November)

How is this for a "nice dating and social scene"?
YouTube - Guido Beach

Can Seattle's "poor dating scene" and "up tight people" compare to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area