Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times

Advertisements

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer announced today it will cease publication as of Tuesday 3/17. It will continue an on-line edition. I would expect more and more of these moves in cities all across the country in the next 1-2 years.

On a side note, I have a parent who is a stroke victim who can't navigate a computer, but can still read the paper. If newspapers go away, many older consumers are going to be out of luck. But anyone over the age of about 60 today doesn't seem to matter. Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
There is an article about it here. Yahoo! News - Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper goes Web-only by AP: Yahoo! Tech

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer announced today it will cease publication as of Tuesday 3/17. It will continue an on-line edition. I would expect more and more of these moves in cities all across the country in the next 1-2 years.

On a side note, I have a parent who is a stroke victim who can't navigate a computer, but can still read the paper. If newspapers go away, many older consumers are going to be out of luck. But anyone over the age of about 60 today doesn't seem to matter. Very sad.
That is something to consider. People are getting left out.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 PM

204 posts, read 813,910 times
What about The Stranger? Seattle Weekly? Those are not newspapers?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
The Stranger and the Seattle Weekly have maybe two decent articles in each issue.

I don't see how navigating a computer is harder than handling a newspaper.

One issue with newspapers is that only a small percentage of them are recycled. I've collected many a bundle of papers at coffee shops just before they were thrown them in the trash.

WA businesses will have an easier time getting away with crimes now, if only because the Seattle Times won't have much competition from the online PI. I recall some crimes that were first exposed in the paper, like the outlandish case of prosecutorial abuse in Wenatchee in the 1990s.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
How do you use a laptop when you're sitting on the can? I'm not Bill Gates. I'm just a man who reads his Sunday paper....after a hearty breakfast.....oh...nevermind.......

COUPONS!! WHAT ABOUT COUPONS?

BTW, I'm actually one of the 199,000 people who get the Times.
Hrmmm....where do you think newspapers get the revenue to pay reporters to get the hard news? What internet newspaper can you say, "They've got a viable business model...and really have it going on?" None. None come to mind. The PI is dead. With a capital D.

Sites like FARK and drudge and Yahoo, MSNBC, et. al. pull their stories from real live reporters from real live networks and real live newspapers. IF all paper newspapers were to fail, would you still think computer news would be better or worse?

I vote worse. It's like me saying, "Parks with kid's playground equipment is STUPID.", because I don't have any children. I can use the park without the kid's stuff there. You don't need kid's stuff there. The kids can play at McDonald's...and get a delicious cheeseburger, fries, shake and apple pie. They can ingest 2000 calories and burn off 50. It's a decent trade off.

After all...they can just play somewhere else. I see the point, and I know they had to fail. I wasn't rooting for them to, though. They had value. Unfortunately, they couldn't condense that value into profitability. That's a shame.

/sigh

Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
How do you use a laptop when you're sitting on the can? I'm not Bill Gates. I'm just a man who reads his Sunday paper....after a hearty breakfast.....oh...nevermind.......
Maybe I'm on the can right now One word: netbooks

I've been an avid reader of the PI and will miss it. I almost always read discarded papers though, to help the environment.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I can't kill a fly with a rolled up netbook.....can't pack dishes in it either!

When I was first stationed in Japan, (1991-1994) I had my little (10,000 population) hometown newspaper sent to me there. People used to laugh at me for getting it...but when I was done, they would read it too.

They would say to me, "Dude. This paper has an article about, "LuluBell went to visit Christine after church and had a nice dinner together." and I'd say, "Yep. Not a lot of murder, not a lot of crime, just good folks getting together, and passing the time."

Compare that to Atlanta (Atlanta Journal Constitution.). That paper reads like something out of a war zone. Did you hear about the cops that killed a 92 year old grandmother and planted drugs at the scene? They got less than 5 years and had to pay $2000 each for her funeral expenses. That's Atlanta.

Atlanta News, Sports, Atlanta Weather, Business News | ajc.com
Click that... no wait...
'Little Houdini' captured in Florida

Fugitive caught who escaped at a Waffle House and caused a lockdown of KSU.Latest headlines »

Everyday, I saw and watched that city fall apart. From 1999 to 2003. Seattle is so, so. SO much better than that hell hole.

Last edited by 70Ford; 03-17-2009 at 01:29 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 08:37 AM

204 posts, read 813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
The Stranger and the Seattle Weekly have maybe two decent articles in each issue.

WA businesses will have an easier time getting away with crimes now, if only because the Seattle Times won't have much competition from the online PI. I recall some crimes that were first exposed in the paper, like the outlandish case of prosecutorial abuse in Wenatchee in the 1990s.
Helios-- Excellent point on the Wenatchee Witch Trials. The entire fiasco was exposed only because of the newspaper reporters doing research. As far as I recall however, after the newspaper stories reported the horrible injustice, our governor at that time Mr Locke did everything possible to get it swept under the carpet. There was really no result, as far as I recall, just a newspaper story. Nobody even lost their jobs and that sick agency responsible for the entire thing, DHS, is bigger than ever.

While we are on the subject, in the early 1980s there was a rape case. A guy went to jail. My family knew him. His name was King, if I recall correctly. While he languished in jail, a local newspaper reporter dug into the case and found enough evidence to have the entire thing overturned. He got out of jail, then died shortly after release due to a heart attack.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM

203 posts, read 720,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

If Sir Steven Hawking can use a computer, anybody can, provided proper accommodations are made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area