Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
That's funny, they call Florida "The Sunshine State", but it really isn't that sunny. There is a lot of rain and thunderstorms, not to mention unbearable humidity from March to November. The rain rarely lasts very long though.

Orlando is night and day with Seattle. There probably couldn't be more opposite places in the U.S. From weather to topography, to family oriented tourism in Orlando, to recreation in Seattle, the differences are huge. Just research the area to make sure you will like it. A lot of "sun-belters" can't take the different lifestyle and move back within a year or two. Others stay forever. It's all personal preference.
pw72, you are spot on! We lived in Orlando for 15 years until moving to western WA two years ago, and this is a perfect description of the differences. We are one of those "others" who immediately felt at home here and plan to stay forever.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
If you haven't already, check the picture thread above titled "Come on in, Seattle is waiting for you" by pwright1. It's an excellent photo album of Seattle and the people who live there.
I just finished looking at the photos, and i have to say they were amazing ! whats the location of where the last two photos were taken from? (if you know)

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Yes, the last two photos were taken from the Somerset section of suburban Bellevue. This is one of the highest hills in the metro area and there are some pricey homes in that area because of the views. The photos are looking west-northwest toward the Olympic mountain range. In the 2nd to last pic you see Mercer Island, another wealthy part of the area. The bridge structure on the lower right is Interstate 90. I actually have that picture as my desktop background believe it or not! Pwright is a fantastic photographer and has other Seattle photo threads on this site, as well as Skyscrapercity.com

Last edited by pw72; 03-18-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
A number of students from UW are moving out of the U district because it is simply too dangerous with the druggies, bums, and crazy people there. It's sad too because it's just gone downhill since three years ago

Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
A number of students from UW are moving out of the U district because it is simply too dangerous with the druggies, bums, and crazy people there. It's sad too because it's just gone downhill since three years ago

what areas are they moving to? what are the best areas to live if youre a UW student but not livng in the UW district because of the crime.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM

28 posts, read 83,297 times
If you don't have to go to the UW there is also Seattle University and Seattle Pacific University. To the south there is the University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University. There are also many branch campuses around the Seattle area for Central Washington, Western Washington and Eastern Washington Universities so there are other options for young college students besides the University District.

The best advice I have for you is to be sure to find a roommate because rent is pretty high here and of course the lower the rent, the higher the crime rate. The least expensive place in Seattle is known as the Rainier Valley in South Seattle. The best place for college students to hang out is Pioneer Square on a Friday or Saturday night. Yes, there has been some shootings in the area but I've been a few times and never saw anything.

I haven't been to Orlando but I think the biggest adjustment you may have to make would be driving. Traffic here is bad and our public transportation system isn't all that great. There are also a lot of hills here so if your driving and the roads become icy (which they do) you better be prepared for that

Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restam View Post
If you don't have to go to the UW there is also Seattle University and Seattle Pacific University. To the south there is the University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University. There are also many branch campuses around the Seattle area for Central Washington, Western Washington and Eastern Washington Universities so there are other options for young college students besides the University District.

The best advice I have for you is to be sure to find a roommate because rent is pretty high here and of course the lower the rent, the higher the crime rate. The least expensive place in Seattle is known as the Rainier Valley in South Seattle. The best place for college students to hang out is Pioneer Square on a Friday or Saturday night. Yes, there has been some shootings in the area but I've been a few times and never saw anything.

I haven't been to Orlando but I think the biggest adjustment you may have to make would be driving. Traffic here is bad and our public transportation system isn't all that great. There are also a lot of hills here so if your driving and the roads become icy (which they do) you better be prepared for that
Orlando isn't much different from Seattle with the bad traffic, and Orlando supposedly has one of the worst public transportation systems. But I'm definitely not used to driving on hills, better yet icy hills lol. Is it true that its pretty much impossible to control your car on icy roads? That's one of my biggest concerns

Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
But I'm definitely not used to driving on hills, better yet icy hills lol. Is it true that its pretty much impossible to control your car on icy roads? That's one of my biggest concerns
Yes and no. Major roads usually lose the ice quickly, with wear. Flat residential roads are generally okay if you take it slow. Residential roads up/down hills are out. People park at the bottom and walk to their houses, even if it's more than a mile (we have some big hills). One winter dozens parked on a freeway offramp and walked from there, because the offramp was as far as they could get and they couldn't turn around.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 AM

467 posts, read 1,190,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I'm thinking about going to college in the Seattle area, ive never been to WA before, but I've always wanted to. It looks so much nicer than boring, flat, miserably HOT, crime infested Orlando, Florida. I have a family only a few hours south of Seattle aswell.

I like the colder weather so I'm not worried about that. I would just like some advice from people, if you think this move will be a good idea for me or not. What are good colleges in the area, are there things to do for a young person like me? what areas should i look into? etc. Thanks in advance for your help!
I recommend NAU (Northern Arizona University) Perfect college town and it has all 4 season. Plus, you can do everything there from golf to snow skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area