Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,021,721 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, another restaurant thread, there must be a million already! I'm actually a local now, been in Seattle for about 8 months!!

I've been trying all kinds of places from just walking around my building to heading to tourist traps to highly reviewed eateries out of Seattle Magazine.

However, my parent's are flying in from the east coast for the first time in May, and I really want to take them some great places.

I need about 4 lunch places and 4 dinner places.

One day we will go to the market so I'm sure we'll grab a variety of things from Beecher's and Le Panier and fill up on just trying different foods.

One day we will have lunch or dinner at the Space Needle just because my parent's have to do it at least once while I live here.

A couple places that I personally have come to love is Paseo's, I think that would be a great place for lunch. Although many claim it's reputation outshines the food, I think Red Mill makes a mean burger and they'd like that, too.

I'm not personally a seafood eater unless it's crab/shrimp, but my parent's are, and I'm sure there MUST be fantastic seafood in the Seattle area, any advice? I'm sure there are so many options I could get 100 responses with 100 different recommendations, but are there any places that are particularly fun and delicious for a group of people?

I saw Crap Pot on Man VS Food and it looked really fun and tasty but local reviews are less than stellar, same with Salty's, apparently it's a tourist destination but overpriced and only "meh."

Some truly Seattle recommendations would be awesome for any places to eat lunch or dinner, I want my parents to have a great Seattle experience! I have a car, so Bellevue or any other Seattle area are fine, too.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,189,268 times
Salty's is actually quite good for Sunday brunch...The Red House in Renton is well worth a trip with great seafood, great steak, amazing desserts, and a huge wine selection.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,504,123 times
I like Palisade (expensive) and Maggie Bluffs (inexpensive...great grill food) both in the same building in the Magnolia area on the Marina. El Gaucho is expensive, but good food and atmosphere, in Belltown. Pesos in Queen Anne is my favorite Tex-Mex and I also really like the Steelhead Diner at 1st and Pike. Serious Pie (gourmet pizza) is a good Tom Douglas restaurant but has a smaller menu and for real Italian pizza, Tutta Bella is a fun place to go. I like the one by Lake Union. The Woodman Lodge in Snoqualmie is good and is also a really great old restored building. I also love the North Bend Bar and Grill in North Bend. Good to see a small town just outside of Seattle...you could combine it with a trip to Snoqualmie Falls. Or if you really want to be a big spender, hit brunch at Salish Lodge. My parents enjoyed seeing the city when they visited but they also loved the smaller towns too. Fall City Roadhouse is a nicer restaurant in a pretty setting too. My husband loves the burgers at the The Metropolitan downtown. Have fun!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the advice, so far!

I forgot to mention one thing, my mum is German and are there any great German restaurants or pubs??

Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,189,268 times
Szmania's is a great German restaurant, in the Magnolia area of Seattle. Lots of things on the menu that aren't German, but jagerschnitzel that's out of this world.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 AM

60 posts, read 405,184 times
Are you interested in a restaurant that's 45 mins south of Seattle? Check out the Chambers Bay Grill in Chambers Bay Golf Course in University Place...we took my mother-in-law there last summer...food was good and the sight is too awesome! The view alone is definitely worth the drive. Make sure you're there at sunset, though, cos that's when the view is unbelievably awe-inspiring!

Also, if you guys like Indian buffet restaurants, Masala of India restaurant is my personal favourite.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:59 AM

22 posts, read 65,393 times
The, uh, Crap Pot? That's a new one on me :P

I actually wasn't too well versed in restaurants, being a poor student for most of the time I was living in Seattle, but I really liked Nana's near University Village. It's just a small soup place, but it's nice if you're in the area and looking for lunch. Anthony's and Ivar's are both good as far as seafood goes, and they've got plenty of other things on the menu as well. I'm sure there are plenty of other places, too.

I'll second Masala; I used to live in the Northgate neighborhood and went there pretty frequently. It got good reviews from an Indian friend of mine, too, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's generally a good place. Also in the same complex is Jai Thai, which is good if you're into that.

If you want a good burger, Deluxx on Capitol Hill is a good spot to go, and there are a ton of other places around there, most of them fairly cheap. Hana is a pretty good Japanese restaurant, from what I remember.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,884,367 times
For more expensive options, I totally second Palisades and Salty's brunch (even if you're not interested in seafood, there are a ton of other options, including the dessert table and chocolate fountain ).

When I've had east coast family in town, much less expensive options that have been a hit are: Luna Park (kitschy diner in W. Seattle/Alki area) and Giannoni's Pizza in Westwood Village (the only NY-style pizza I've had out here that I would recommend - but I'm picky about pizza). Oh, and the 74th Street Ale House is cute for pub food; 13 Coins for the French Onion soup (and to watch the chefs' witty repartee at the counter onto the open kitchen during dinner).

I'll leave the "fancy" restaurant recs to the foodies....

Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
The, uh, Crap Pot? That's a new one on me :P
That was a total accident, too, LOL, I was not trying to be sassy. CraB Pot, I meant.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 PM

960 posts, read 1,151,651 times
Not to rain on parades, but I think Palisades is low value. My favorite of Seattle's top-rated restaurants is Ray's Boathouse; reserve for an hour before sunset and pray it's not overcast. They also have a (viewless?) cafe that is about half price. For breakfast my fave is 5 Spot on Queen Anne; best on weekdays because it's so popular. It's good for lunch or dinner too. Closed 3-5 pm on weekends, no reservation necessary. At Pike Market I like the Three Girl's Bakery counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area