Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,906 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Seattle in the winter or spring, so I cannot relate to all the gloomy and rainy days that many people are describing on the various forums. I however have been to the Seattle area a few times during the summer during the last 12 years or so, and all I can say; IT IS AWESOME.

The weather in the summer is comparable to the winters in Miami(where I live). If I could I would visit the Seattle area every summer and stay there for an extended period time each summer(2-6 weeks). I especially enjoyed Bellevue where I spent a few nights last time I was there 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 PM

139 posts, read 636,241 times
Can't argue that.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,524 times
Quote:
Seattle is beautiful in the summer
Got that right.

It was the rest of the year that sucked.

Actually, Indian summer was my favorite time of the year.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,697,727 times
I can argue it - only a bit though

The "summer" here (I would say weather over 80 degrees) last about a month. anyweather to me from 75 to 85 degrees I consider Spring-type weather

Summer is suppose to be HOT HOT, too bad the "summer" is so short, if it could go three months maybe the rest of the year might be tolerable

Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 PM

139 posts, read 1,216,603 times
What reasonable person wants summer days to be hot i.e. 100 degrees the whole summer going from air conditioning to air conditioning. In Seattle, expect From May to October to be mostly dry with a couple of days here and there to get rain which usually comes in the morning and clears by the late morning in an average year. Let the trolling commence

Old 04-01-2007, 01:20 PM

170 posts, read 846,995 times
A HOT summer is unreasonable. Take this from a person who was born and raised in an area where summers are always over 100F. You can't go out for very long and most of the time you don't even want to. AC is a gem. Its no wonder that many southern metro areas did not develop until AFTER the invention of air conditioning.

Summers where the temps don't go over 85 are ideal. With that weather you can still go enjoy yourself outside,and stay outside, without melting inside your clothes. Even people here who claim they "like" the very hot temps will stay indoors as much as possible between the months of May and September. Any extensive outdoor activity has to be done by a pool or lake....

Last year I went to Seattle in July for some vacation and relaxation. My flight left Dallas at 9 am and the temperature was already 86 degrees and the humidity was on the rise. All the grass was dead and stench of Dallas summer: Wet artificial grass, bugs, thick dirty air, and sweat was already floating in the air.

I arrived in Seattle around 11 local time. The temperature was 74 degrees, and as I walked out the airport I felt such a relief! I took a deep breath of air and a big smile crept on my face. The air was SO clean! It was a partly cloudy day, and in the distance I could see the cascades.

As I drove my rental car down the road I saw endless rows of enormous, green trees that reached high in the sky. As I got onto the highway Mt Rainier became visible, and what a sight! Then the sound, downtown, lakes, all the trees, everything came together to create a spetacular scene.

I wasted no time at the hotel. I unpacked, got my excersise clothes on and went out for a run. After roughly 40 minutes of jogging I ended up in West Seattle and for the first time I realized something amazing: I was not exausted! In Dallas a 40 minute run in July would have left me baby crawling back into my house begging for water like a refugee.

Here the comfortable temperature combined with the clean air not only did not leave me tired, I felt more energized. Perfect because I found a crowd of guys playing football in Alki Beach Park. I walked right up and they quickly introduced themselves and we started a game that lasted for nearly 2 hours.

Right there, in a park next to a beach surrounded by beautiful homes, green scenery, mountains, the ocean, clean air and friendly people....it felt like a dream.

The rest of my week long stay was filled with diverse activities, most of which I did while on foot. That was a great change of pace from the pedestrian un-friendly environment of the south. The whole time I never felt tired or exausted because of the weather. The food was the best I had ever had. The coffee was perfect...and I am a coffee addict and very picky about good coffee.

I did not want to leave at all. But of course I do not live in Seattle yet so back I came. The second I stepped off the plane in Dallas, while still on the jetway the heat hit us all. Even other people walking off the plane from Seattle began to complain about the heat. By the time I reached my car the back of my shirt was already a puddle of water.

As I drove home the surroundings were depressing. I had the AC on max and that was almost not enough. The sun was a blazing ball of fire that made even touching my steering wheel difficult. I didn't see ONE person out on foot the entire 40 minute drive home...then again nobody here is crazy enough to walk around in Texas summers.

Gone were the mountains. Gone were the tall trees. In their place were small bushes struggling to stay alive. The digital signs above the highways were all blinking frantically alerting peole of Ozone alerts and UV warnings and telling people to stay indoors. I get home and check the weather, and for the next 10 days it is the same exact thing: Clear skies, 100 plus degree weather, heat/ozone alerts, and not a chance of rain in hell. Even the news folks were begging the weathermen to give them any signs of rain. There were none.

And FYI: that was not my first trip to Seattle. I have made my way up to the Emerald City various times during the monhts of July, October, March, and April. I have seen the cloudy skys. I have seen the mist, drizzle, and everything else in between. I'll take that anyday, thank you very much.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattletony View Post
What reasonable person wants summer days to be hot i.e. 100 degrees the whole summer going from air conditioning to air conditioning. In Seattle, expect From May to October to be mostly dry with a couple of days here and there to get rain which usually comes in the morning and clears by the late morning in an average year. Let the trolling commence
Then that's where we differ and that's fine - that is why there are many places to live for many different people.

I like it hot - and yes I like it HOT HOT

Last year in July (during that "heat wave") where people were complaining it was GASP! 95!

I flew down to my parents house in Palm Springs and actually took a nap outside (under the canopy of the deck) in 117 degrees! Now yes it was hot - but after being in Seattle for 3 years it was the most relaxing and comfortable nap I had had in years...

I find nothing wrong going from AC to AC, now you know why I my body gets so sick in this weather. Yes it is green and beautiful, but I'm not comfortable.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:54 PM

170 posts, read 846,995 times
City Girl,

If you are going from AC to AC you are actually never outside for long periods of time, right? That is what I was saying in my post above. What is the point then?

Sure, falling asleep on a canopy covered porch is one thing. Now go and actually try doing some kind of activity in that 117 degree weather.

Actually, ask a doctor and they will tell you there is a medical reason you fell asleep. Our bodies can't take extreme temperatures for too long and will quickly shut down.

Why do you think many people feel groggy and lazy in the summer? Its not that they are actually lazy, its the heat that prevents their bodies from performing to full capacity.

In fact, I majored in International Politics & Diplomacy in college and one of the themes we discussed during my internship with the UN was how hot temperatures have historically prevented many countries from developing.

We learned that there is a belt roughly 600 miles wide on either side of the equator where NOT ONE country or area is developed/industrialized.

Coinsidence? Nope.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:39 PM

I think you are totally correct (even about the nap except that I also purposely went outside for the nap)

But Where I was from I went from AC to AC in August only

In Seattle - I stay inside and don't go out at all 10 months of the year

You see the difference for me

Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Why is it 'unreasonable' that someone might feel different than you - and actually want HEAT? People have different preferances. Embrace that.

Quote:
In Seattle, expect From May to October to be mostly dry with a couple of days here and there to get rain which usually comes in the morning and clears by the late morning in an average year.
Inaccurate - and it's already been proven here within several threads. Actual, factual numbers.

Quote:
Let the trolling commence
Yep, now that you have popped back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: