Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times

Advertisements

If you were going to buy a house in this market, and your budget was around $350,000, and you worked in downtown Seattle, would you buy a nice single family new construction home in Everett, a resale in Mill Creek, or a condo in Bellevue? And why? Other factors include 2 small children and a possibility of selling in 5 years.

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
What happened in Issaquah?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
What happened in Issaquah?
The houses are too expensive. LOL

Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 30,769 times
Everett to Seattle commute is easy due to the bus schedule. You can be in SEattle - downtown area in short order.
Plus, I think Everett, your money would go further.

HOWEVER, I would prefer Issaquah.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashleen View Post
Everett to Seattle commute is easy due to the bus schedule. You can be in SEattle - downtown area in short order.
If you consider sitting for an hour in traffic "short order"... I loathe to think what you think a long commute it. Bellingham to Seattle?

Sarcasm aside, it depends. For that much money now you can get a home in many parts of the city. Also, have you looked south of I-90? That area gets a bad reputation just because of the north-side mentality of the area. Check out Beacon Hill if you wanted to live in the city proper.

Also for the condo ... it depends if you don't care about having your own four walls. It'd have to be a big condo with two children.

As for selling in 5 years, I think the market will have recovered by then. Hopefully. So any of those locations will be good.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I'm a pessimist with a wife and two kids. I don't think the market will recover in 5 years. We live in an apartment now. I want my own house. It's mine, dagsmabbit.

Get a house (and (hopefully) a yard. Condo's are what they are; your own little slice of a building owned and maintained by others. Others, who in this economy, might go bankrupt or be unable to pay their bills/condo agreements. That leaves you holding the bag.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

My wife likes to garden. I can't wait to see something she's planted growin in our yard. I can't wait to get the heck away from 400 people I don't know and don't want to get to know. Hrmmm...I'm getting negative here. Think I'll ***ACK!! !STOP THE NOISE YOU DOWNSTAIRS FREAKS!!!****

See? What I mean?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
If I had kids old enough to play outside alone, I wouldn't pick the condo. The kids in our townhouse complex are SO BORED and don't have much yard space. They instead amuse themselves by playing such games as: "Let's see what's in the dumpster!", "Let's dig a hole in this concrete and throw gravel at each other!", "Let's bang these electrical and cable boxes with big sticks that we found!", "Let's chase cars as they leave the complex!", "Anything you put in the recycling bins is fair game for playtime!", and my favorite, "Let's run around and around this apartment building and scream really loudly!"

Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 AM

960 posts, read 1,163,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
If you were going to buy a house in this market, and your budget was around $350,000, and you worked in downtown Seattle, would you buy a nice single family new construction home in Everett, a resale in Mill Creek, or a condo in Bellevue? And why? Other factors include 2 small children and a possibility of selling in 5 years.
None of the above. There are $350K-or-less houses in Bellevue now, which is better than a condo and better than being much further away. If the chance of selling in five years is significant, I'd just rent.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
ONe more note. People define "market recovery" as "where the market was when things began to craah." There were 5 years of super runup based on an unprecendented level of credit available to every Tom, Dick, Harry and Jane. If you convince yourself that that same level of homeownership can exist in 5 years, then you have convinced yourself of a full recovery. As I think that is patently impossible, I can't see the market "recovering" in 5 years. You'd have to do an abstract of how the market should have grown, vs. people's expectations based on what they have seen and reacted to for 5 years...(or so) vs. what they are expecting now.

Think about it. Is your mail coming tomorrow? Is it coming on Saturday? Sure, of course it's coming on Saturday! It always comes on Saturday! But....is it? Do you know for sure? Did you know they're trying to stop Saturday delivery? Do you know how often that is gong to be pasted on every media source for weeks leading up to it? And yet, you will have people (like me) who still go to the mailbox every Saturday, because we're idiots...I mean, creatures of habit.

I could figure out how much a house should "probably" cost and offer it, but in Seattle, it's gonna take a while to sink in. I'm willing to wait until the end of 2011 when the last great hump of those ALT-A loans implode and I can buy a nice foreclosure. Until that...I have earplugs....and kids of my own. "Hey, kids, why don't you go play outside by the next door neighbors? Stay close to us and them, OK? I need to keep an eye on you, OK?" "Oh wait! Here's some cap guns and a tambourine. Have a blast!" "

Just kidding. But, Oh God, how I've entertained the thoughts of me in my lederhosen, holding my castanets , standing outside my neighbor's door singing, "My Country 'Tis of Thee" at 150 decibels.... At 3 A.M.... With a rotating strobe light on my head..... While eating a delicious sandwich. That way, it comes out as "Mahummph Coountrrahh 'YUM! Tisshhhh Ahhfffff Deeeeee" and only gets better as my mouth gets drier.
That would be......fantastic.

Last edited by 70Ford; 04-07-2009 at 05:21 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
If I were selling in five years....I would not buy.

Consider the Washington state excise tax of nearly 2% of the selling price (inescapable), the real estate commission for the seller of 3%, the possibility of having to cover the closing costs AND buyers real estate fees of an additional 3%. It all adds up to a payout in the many thousands of $$$.

Outside of those conditions, I do not believe that home prices here will recover in the next few years, certainly not enough in the next five years for you to recover the excise tax+sellers fees+buyers fees+buyers closing costs.

As miserable as it is to be a renter and have small children in the bargain, it is better to rent than to lose many thousands of dollars in various and sundry fees and taxes, nonwithstanding the actual paper profit that might be made on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area