Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times

Advertisements

It's partly sunny in downtown Seattle right now...the forecast for the rest of the week is partly cloudy with highs in the upper 50's/low 60's....whats the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Spring is the least pleasant season in the NW to me. While I actually like the weather here overall, spring is incredibly slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in getting going. I think it's an expectations game. The days get longer and you expect them to get warmer faster but they don't. But when the eastern half of the US turns into a sauna in a couple of months, I'll be enjoying the natural air conditioning and crappy spring will just be a memory.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
After today's utterly miserable rain/snow/hail mix, the forecast for tomorrow in Seattle: 50 F and rain.
It is 56 and sunny right now.
the forecast for tomorrow says 58 and sunny 10 Day Weather Forecast for Seattle, WA - weather.com

Old 04-14-2009, 08:24 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Spring is the least pleasant season in the NW to me. While I actually like the weather here overall, spring is incredibly slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww in getting going. I think it's an expectations game. The days get longer and you expect them to get warmer faster but they don't. But when the eastern half of the US turns into a sauna in a couple of months, I'll be enjoying the natural air conditioning and crappy spring will just be a memory.
I know what you mean. When we visited in '05 during July 4th, we actually had to wear JACKETS at night by Lake Union. Coming from the Northeast, we could not believe this! It would have been almost 90 and balmy even at night on July 4th, but here we were dealing with 50s and 60s dryness. We actually loved it though, because we hate the heat, so here we are.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:21 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
At least you don't have to worry about tornadoes in the Midwest.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 84,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afinebalance View Post
Only you can fix it...with a move. ; )
Yay! Someone with some wits about them.
Why must there be so much complaining?
We live in one of the most beautiful areas in the country.
Wake up people!

Last edited by LollieTheCat; 04-15-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
At least you don't have to worry about tornadoes in the Midwest.
Satire? Or did you mean "At least you don't have to worry about tornadoes in the Pacific Northwest"?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times
I remember tornadoes destroying a town near mine as a kid in NW Pennsylvania. Then later in Oklahoma as a teenager staying awake all night listening to thunder rumbling and wondering if THAT rumble was the sound of a tornado coming... ok that rumble ended... maybe THIS rumble is the tornado coming. With every storm, for months. Then in Arkansas in college trying to get home (because rumors said our doorm was poorly constructed and would not survive a tornado) and coming to a curve in the road and seeing a giant, sickly green wall of cloud and anger swirling down, with a line of police pointedly not caring that I was going nearly double the speed limit... they were watching the sky... got into town as the sirens started blaring... hail everywhere... hiding in the tub off and on all night... tornado over the house that only picked up roof shingles but sounded like it was going to stomp down and wipe me off the planet. (It only wound up wiping a few chicken houses a few miles away off the planet, but at the time it sounded like it had my name on it). Waking up, jumping up, and hiding in an apartment closet because I was wakened up by a terrible roaring sound unlike anything I'd heard before right outside my window! MUST be a tornado! Quaking for a few minutes until I realized the sound wasn't moving... it was the a-holes that owned the stupid apartments spraying down my windows with pressure washers without notice... early morning and I'd gotten home from work about 3:30 am! Cleaning up the debris after a friend's home a few miles away was wiped clean (well, you could see where the bathroom floor ended and the hall floor began, if you looked hard enough); fortunately they'd been at work, else they'd be quite dead, and not lived to see bras flapping high in what was left of the trees, or their other car flipped on its head in the creek. In Dallas, watching the radar every time a storm approached my grandparents' home (they lived in a trailer park and wouldn't go to the shelter because they couldn't take the dog!). Watching the radar as it approached MY house because while most of the time you'll be OK inside, probably, sometimes you get a tornado like the one in Jarrell awhile back that wipes away everything above ground. Deciding when to break for husband's big office building with the tornado shelters (and very sturdy, very covered parking garages) when hail/tornadoes looked imminent (always turned out to be a good move!). Realizing that with an infant we wouldn't be able to do that anymore. Not able to handle the who-knows-when-a-bad-storm-might-come-or-how-bad-it-will-be anymore. Too many years and I'm DONE.

I never ever want to live anywhere there are tornadoes again. I think I've said it before but I'll say it again: I LOVE THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. If I moved away from the tornadoes just to get hit by an earthquake, well, at least I don't have a hundred earthquake-drills to live through first.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 AM

309 posts, read 1,025,950 times
I for one, am not going to miss Tornados either. I grew up in Missouri and have lived here 32 years. I hate going to bed when it is windy and hoping that if there is a tornado the sound wakes me up in time to make it down two flights of stairs into the basement.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,450 times
Default Spring

We're having one of the coldest springs on record. No doubt about that.

So what? Spring is generally disappointing to non-natives (and some natives), as it takes forever to get warm and teases with weekends like we had a couple of weeks back.

But you know what? Come Sunday, you get to see a green, glorious area in all of it's glory. You won't be fighting thunderstorms or high humidity.

And in a couple of months, you get to enjoy that time of year when Northwesterners get to feel smug about how awesome the weather is while everybody else suffers, just like folks in Phoenix get to feel smug from December-March.

The weather sucks at some point everywhere in our fine land. I prefer to focus on all of the non-weather aspects that make this place the only place for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area