Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM

416 posts, read 2,505,629 times

Advertisements

I remember that quake. I was up on the 16th floor in DT Seattle and it was the longest quake. Thought the world was coming to an end. I agree with Arkansas, M. I would rather prepare for a tornado than the "big one."

I had a small f1 tornado hit a few blocks from me in Tacoma years ago. These events have at least 15 minutes warning and you can tell by looking at the skies and forcast but earthquakes --- no warning and can kill thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
This thread has scared the crap out of me!!! Thanks guys now I'm afraid to move to the Seattle area!!!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:03 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,997,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
This thread has scared the crap out of me!!! Thanks guys now I'm afraid to move to the Seattle area!!!
Eh, you shouldn't necessarily be afraid. Ok, I'm guilty of adding a bit of fuel to the fire on this thread but in reality, what are your chances of getting injured or killed in the eventual "big one" that Seattle will have? ...if you even live that long. Sure, it could happen tomorrow but it might also be decades until it happens. Like I've said, it will happen, only question is WHEN? And whether the region will have enough time to prepare for such an occurence in order to minimize damage and loss of life is the real question.

Pretend that this thread doesn't even exist while you're making your decision. Once you're living there, just be as prepared as you personally can and that's all you can do. Hasn't the rumor been for years that the whole Los Angeles metro area could be washed out to sea in the next big earthquake there? You probably don't believe that so why believe anything that you read on this thread?

--'rocco

Old 04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Eh, you shouldn't necessarily be afraid. Ok, I'm guilty of adding a bit of fuel to the fire on this thread but in reality, what are your chances of getting injured or killed in the eventual "big one" that Seattle will have? ...if you even live that long. Sure, it could happen tomorrow but it might also be decades until it happens. Like I've said, it will happen, only question is WHEN? And whether the region will have enough time to prepare for such an occurence in order to minimize damage and loss of life is the real question.

Pretend that this thread doesn't even exist while you're making your decision. Once you're living there, just be as prepared as you personally can and that's all you can do. Hasn't the rumor been for years that the whole Los Angeles metro area could be washed out to sea in the next big earthquake there? You probably don't believe that so why believe anything that you read on this thread?

--'rocco
I'm just paranoid. I live right near the beach too! Now I must be scared everywhere I go! Well they compared the potential Seattle earthquake to the Kobe, Japan quake where 6,500 people died. That's a lot.

They said Seattle won't be ready for such a thing until roughly 2070, that's a long time. Hopefully it won't happen in my life time...I'll just move there and hope for the best!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 18,997,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I'm just paranoid. I live right near the beach too! Now I must be scared everywhere I go! Well they compared the potential Seattle earthquake to the Kobe, Japan quake where 6,500 people died. That's a lot.

They said Seattle won't be ready for such a thing until roughly 2070, that's a long time. Hopefully it won't happen in my life time...I'll just move there and hope for the best!
Exactly!

--'rocco

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM

117 posts, read 432,322 times
just now realizing that this is a real issue!!! We just received a quote for homeowners insurance and half the yearly payment is for earthquake coverage!!! Yikes

Theresa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area