Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how often earthquakes are felt? Here on the Big Island of Hawaii we get them all the time(every day but not always felt where I am). Sometimes little tremors and sometimes some real movers. We had a pretty big one a couple of years ago that caused some major damage and for me to almost S*%# my pants! I'm from the northeast so cut me some slack! I guess I just want to know if it is a big deal or something people really don't think about on a daily basis. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,738 times
I have yet to feel one since moving here last June.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
In and around Seattle, I've felt tremors maybe once every eight to ten years. Something like that. But it all depends on how close to the epicenter one happens to be at the moment of the quake, of course. There are various sources, spread around.

We do think earthquakes can be a big deal and the wiser among us always have up-to-date human nnd pet emergency kits in the proper locations. But I think no one thinks about earthquakes in terms of daily living, given their infrequent occurrence. They're not an expected event. I lived for many years in Tokyo where perceptible quakes occurred a minimum of once a week, and usually more often. There everyone had earthquakes on the first level of expectations, not on the last level as here.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
OK, 1959-1990, I only felt one ('65) but I was only five years old. Wasn't there for 2001, but parents said they were in their car and didn't even feel that one! Conversely, in just two years in Anchorage (1996-98), I felt atleast five.

I think the moral of the story is quakes in Washington are not very frequent, but when they do come they can be big.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
Thanks! This is a great website to explore: Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

Amazing how often they occur(even if you can't feel them) all over the country!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,905 times
I definitely didn't feel this one:

Magnitude 2.9 - SEATTLE-TACOMA URBAN AREA, WASHINGTON (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/uw04121659.php - broken link)

I don't think I've ever felt one in my five years here. I felt just a few over a decade in the Bay Area. I missed Loma Prieta in 1989 down there and Nisqually in 2001 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
Thanks! This is a great website to explore: Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days

Amazing how often they occur(even if you can't feel them) all over the country!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
I haven't felt one in the almost two years I have lived here even though there have been a few tremors recorded. I have always been terrified at the thought of them having grown up in the Midwest but living in Texas during tornado season with no basement to go to cured me of that...because getting in bathtub with your two toddlers or hiding in a closet when 9 months pregnant is no fun either! So maybe I will take an earthquake? But in reality I only really think about it when I renew my homeowner's insurance or if I go deep, deep in parking garages in downtown Seattle or if I dare drive on the Alaskan viaduct. I did anchor my high reaching furniture pieces to the wall. My inlaws who live in the Bay Area and who have lived in Tokyo insisted I do it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post

I did anchor my high reaching furniture pieces to the wall. My inlaws who live in the Bay Area and who have lived in Tokyo insisted I do it.
I anchored my furniture, too, after a decade of living in Tokyo, in an apartment in Capitol Hill and then in my home in Bellevue. I'm not sure -- and don't really care -- if the anchoring saved anything in the Nisqually quake, although a few items fell from my fireplace mantel that day. My intent was to ensure that a several-hundred-pound cabinet wouldn't fall on top of a cat walking by... I feel good that it's all anchored.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:19 PM

854 posts, read 4,140,829 times
Every time we drive on or under the Viaduct, we say, Please no earthquake, please no earthquake, please no earthquake... it's kind of a ritual/tradition now. I'll so NOT miss that when (if) it's gone.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:25 AM

10 posts, read 36,385 times
SO cool I can't wait for one. Stand in a doorway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: