U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 08:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,869,041 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the sports scene is around the Seattle area. It's really too bad what happened to the Sonics, just buisness I guess.

It seems that cities or areas have one team that a sizable majority of the populace rallies around, almost like the area's signiature team. (In my DC area it's the skins, Dallas the boys, NYC the yanks, Chicago has the cubs, ATL the braves, etc. Don't think a city has done it for Basketball, LA maybe?).

Which out of the big 3 do you think Seattle has really rallied around, Mariners/Seahawks/Sonics (while they were still there)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,548,828 times
Sounders FC. Look around the city, they're nuts for them! (That's soccer btw).

They didn't rally around the Sonics because they were milking the city for every penny they could (i.e. asking for a brand new stadium at taxpayer expense while the old one wasn't paid off yet).

People in seattle rally around their teams, except the sonics. We just don't wear it on our jacket like a lot of other places do. Something to do with the fact that there's much more than just sports to get local conversations going.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:34 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,483,844 times
Seattleites are fair weather fans. The Sounders are huge now, and the Sonics were when they won the NBA championship. THe Seahawks always draw a lot of fans, and when the Mariners are winning, the town goes crazy.
Me, I'm partial to baseball, and I follow the team no matter how bad they are, and this year they are off to a great start with a lot of player changes, including outfielders who can actually run and catch balls!
Between Ichiro and Endy Chavez and Franklin Guttierez, these guys are probably the best defensive outfield in the game, well suited for Safeco Field.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:17 PM

1,626 posts, read 6,443,651 times
I'm an SF Giants fan, but I think you're probably right. Especially when you consider both speed (i.e., ability to cover ground) and the ability to throw...

It will be interesting to see if the area can support two major sports stations. KJR is the longtime spot for sports on the AM dial, but newly all-sports KIRO has the Mariners and Seahawks, plus an ESPN affiliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Between Ichiro and Endy Chavez and Franklin Guttierez, these guys are probably the best defensive outfield in the game, well suited for Safeco Field.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM

228 posts, read 648,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Sounders are huge now,
Yea, I think I heard that next week's game against San Jose is sold out. SOLD OUT! I have NEVER heard of MLS/Club teams selling games out! Well except in LA a few times while Beckham was playing. Non-the-less, that's great for Seattle, and the sport of soccer in the U.S.

As a comparison, the Columbus Crew, who won the MLS last year had about 7,500 people at last week's game. That's an embarrassment. although they have been playing like s*%t!

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area